Drive Free. Retire Rich.

brett636

I know you all have read how I care very little about the fate of the teamsters pensions, and this little flash movie demostrates the basic premise of my future plans. Its not a hard concept, and I am not trying to be some stock market guru, but making a few smart decisions over the course of a lifetime can really affect the way your live and retire. This may not be new news to some of you, but others here definitly need to spend the time and watch this.

Drive Free. Retire Rich.

30andout

Sounds like a dream Brett, I don't drive new cars, but I didn't see anything in there about car maintenance. As usual you have all the answers, let us know how your sitting 20 years from now.

ups79

Amounts to what I have always said and adhered to. You can have all the nuts and bolts(NEW CAR, NEW TRUCK, NEW HOUSE, NEW BOAT) early in life or you can get by with a little less and save. If you do save latter in life you can retire and have all the nuts and bolts.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I often listen to "The Dave Ramsey Show" when I drive home from work. He has a lot of common sense ideas to get out of debt and retire wealthy. There are a lot of community workshops using his methods that are taught by local churches, along with his books. He challenges people to "think outside the box" about our common perceptions regarding financial matters. Regarding this video, cars are the worst investment we ever make, too many people waste money on trying to impress everyone else by what they drive. This thread should be in the "Life after Brown" forum.

brett636

Sounds like a dream Brett, I don't drive new cars, but I didn't see anything in there about car maintenance. As usual you have all the answers, let us know how your sitting 20 years from now.

I assumed you would come on here with some negative comment. Its not about having all the answers, its about having a viable plan. Crossing your fingers hoping for some outside organization will come in and save you is like planning your future around winning the lottery. Chances are it will never happen.

30andout

Been with UPS 35 years, I guess I should have known they were lying when they promised I could retire with $3000.00 a year.:ohmy:

canon

and this little flash movie demostrates the basic premise of my future plans.

We're about 3 months from being debt free excluding the mortgage following Dave Ramsey's plan. My only regret is not doing it sooner. It's a little tough, but the payoff is huge. Good luck!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have no debt payments other than a small mortgage and I never heard of Dave Ramsey. It's called thinking before you buy. So my newest vehicle is a 1998. They all get us where we're going.

canon

I have no debt payments other than a small mortgage and I never heard of Dave Ramsey. It's called thinking before you buy. So my newest vehicle is a 1998. They all get us where we're going.
That's awesome, you must have quite the nest egg saved up. It's not the norm anymore. We kinda fell into the bad habit of buying things based on how much the monthly payment was. Some furniture, appliances, cars etc. Never really on the brink of destruction, but far from being ok if one of us became unemployed.

According to Dave Ramsey, a fairly large percent of Americans couldn't write a check to cover an $800 water heater if they had to. No savings... thats where we were.

Overpaid Union Thug

A good way to fight debt is to use "impulse buying" to your advantage. Example: when you are at Wal-mart grocery shopping on or right after payday and you find yourself in the electronics department wanting to buy something that you WANT and DON'T need you should stop and take a step back and make a mental note of how much you were about to spend on that new LCD tv so that when you get home later you can put that same amount towards a debt that you owe. My wife and I did that for over a year and combined with the Dave Ramsey plan we have paid off EVERY debt we owe. Now we are in a stage where we are alternating between saving and buying a few things that we WANTED and didn't NEED back when we were still paying off debt. We bought a big LCD TV but I'm pround to say that it was the very same TV I passed up on about 6 months ago. I used that $800.00 finish off my truck payment. Now I own the truck AND the TV and don't owe ANYONE a dime. So you see it's better to save, save, save and once out of debt that is when it's ok to reward yourself once in a while. There are many things that I had passed up before that I don't even want now. The TV was the only thing I've went back for.

30andout

brett, I am not relying on that only, but I would like to collect from UPS what they promised me for my life and body.

I have a two step plan that works much easier. Step one: work on being as charming as possible. Step two: marry the only daughter of the wealthiest man on your route. Retirement here we come!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have a two step plan that works much easier. Step one: work on being as charming as possible. Step two: marry the only daughter of the wealthiest man on your route. Retirement here we come!

This sounds simular to the John Kerry Pension Plan!:lol:

30andout

I just couldn't help myself, I changed my avatar to the picture of the daughter of the wealthiest man on MY route.