Driver “On Call” on call list is this a thing everywhere?

A.Spooner

In the Central Region here, we have about 90 drivers in our center. My question is this can you be forced to call in each morning to see if you’re working, from what I’ve gathered this is not normal at other centers? I thought you’re either scheduled or not. For example we start at 9:05 everyday, and according to this weeks schedule 68 drivers are scheduled to start at 9:05. The rest of the drivers it says “Call in 8:05” next to their names. So they have to call to see if they’re working. It’s just always been that way in our center. I always thought though you were either scheduled or you weren’t. So am I right that you don’t have to work unless you want to if you’re not actually scheduled? Management make the drivers at the bottom of the seniority list call in to see if they’re working or not everyday. Could you just not show up, they’ve threatened no call no show if you do this, as they’ve said well technically you’re still scheduled. If i am correct about the not having to call in crap, can you please provide any contract language that I can show to these other drivers so they don’t have to worry about calling in everyday.

In the Central Region here, we have about 90 drivers in our center. My question is this can you be forced to call in each morning to see if you’re working, from what I’ve gathered this is not normal at other centers? I thought you’re either scheduled or not. For example we start at 9:05 everyday, and according to this weeks schedule 68 drivers are scheduled to start at 9:05. The rest of the drivers it says “Call in 8:05” next to their names. So they have to call to see if they’re working. It’s just always been that way in our center. I always thought though you were either scheduled or you weren’t. So am I right that you don’t have to work unless you want to if you’re not actually scheduled? Management make the drivers at the bottom of the seniority list call in to see if they’re working or not everyday. Could you just not show up, they’ve threatened no call no show if you do this, as they’ve said well technically you’re still scheduled. If i am correct about the not having to call in crap, can you please provide any contract language that I can show to these other drivers so they don’t have to worry about calling in everyday.
Do you want to work or do you want to stay home and not get paid?

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Yeah my first few weeks I called in and barely got any work. My first check with the company was $5. Now I make 80k + so yeah it was worth it.

A.Spooner

I’m not talking about brand new guys or myself. I work everyday, i’m referring to guys that have been there 2-3 years and are still “on call” everyday. Sometimes they’ll tell them to come in then they’ll say they have no work for them by the time they get there. I tell them to demand their 8 hours and file if not. Just wanted to see about the other side of the coin to where if they just didn’t call in or show up since they’re not technically scheduled if they’d be charged for a no call no show.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
I’m not talking about brand new guys or myself. I work everyday, i’m referring to guys that have been there 2-3 years and are still “on call” everyday. Sometimes they’ll tell them to come in then they’ll say they have no work for them by the time they get there. I tell them to demand their 8 hours and file if not. Just wanted to see about the other side of the coin to where if they just didn’t call in or show up since they’re not technically scheduled if they’d be charged for a no call no show.
Hmmmmm

barnyard

KTM rider
It is not covered in the contract. You are either scheduled or not. Some supplements state that the bottom of the list may not have an 8 hour guarantee.

My center used to do the same type of thing. A couple of high seniority people complained about never getting a voluntary day off, so they went by the book and scheduled everyone and laid off the bottom people. Now the bottom of the list is 22.4 drivers. Eventually, they will be working the preload and only getting full days on Saturdays.

35years

Gravy route
Central Region
They have to post the schedule on Friday.
If scheduled you show up...no "on call".

If scheduled off and someone under you works...file for thier hours.

If scheduled, show up. If sent home say you want to work. If sent home, get 6 hrs. of pay.

It is all in the contract.

slingshot90

I'm a cover driver, and we're supposed to call in every morning. I just thought that's how it was? With all the call offs every morning, it makes sense that you wouldn't know the staffing schedule for the day, so I just thought that's what cover drivers were for.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I love being this guy.... Have to give you 24hrs for what?

Also please cite language. Not saying it's not true in your area but... 90% of the time it's a myth spread between members.
Don’t remember language. Filed once on after talking with my steward. I kept showing up in the oms and was laid off. Wasn’t told, wasn’t given 8 hours for showing up. It ended after that even though out of no where they’re starting to do it only on saturdays

A.Spooner

Central Region
They have to post the schedule on Friday.
If scheduled you show up...no "on call".

If scheduled off and someone under you works...file for thier hours.

If scheduled, show up. If sent home say you want to work. If sent home, get 6 hrs. of pay.

It is all in the contract.
This is what I was looking for, if your scheduled come in, if it says “on call” they can pretty much piss off then right because you’re technically not scheduled.

Up In Smoke

This is what I was looking for, if your scheduled come in, if it says “on call” they can pretty much piss off then right because you’re technically not scheduled.
The company must put each seniority employee on a weekly schedule. Show up as scheduled and asked to be out to work. It is the companies responsibility to "call off" employees. Seniority employees are guaranteed 5 punches per week if senior to any other employee in the building that is working. Demand your punches.

The company must put each seniority employee on a weekly schedule. Show up as scheduled and asked to be out to work. It is the companies responsibility to "call off" employees. Seniority employees are guaranteed 5 punches per week if senior to any other employee in the building that is working. Demand your punches.
Bottom 10% of FT drivers do not have a 40 hour a week guarantee.

textat3

Do not play this game. Show up and demand your right to work. If no work, file unemployment. They will find you a route. They know who to target. In my center we have plenty of alcoholics, pill poppers, drug addicts, broke ass dudes, lazy, useless drivers who never want to work. They always have a reason why not working and being broke is better than working. They drive piece of crap cars and don’t even make the hours for health care or pension. Really sad. Some guys, grown men mind you, go home and play video games all day and stay in their browns. Late afternoon they will leave the pad and go out somewhere and then come home like they worked after their wife gets home. I know 1 driver that would park his car elsewhere and walk home and go through the back door so not even neighbors would know he was home. Some folks reading this will not believe it but it is the truth. We have some of the most sorry grown men ever working in local 639. They stand around and cry about it when they can’t get a day off.