driver being sued

Floridacargocat

ORM-D is very often completely misunderstood. US regulations do permit hazardous material to be classified and shipped as ORM-D when it is packed for commercial or retail purposes. Theoretically, if a commercial enterprise ships it to a private person for "private consumption", it is not ORM-D anymore, but Hazardous Material, requiring labeling, marking, packing and documentation in line with requirements. The same would go, if this ORM-D (or "Consumer CommoditY" ) is shipped by air. Applicable laws change for this type of shipment. A simple ORM-D sticker is not good enough, it must be an ORM-D-AIR sticker.

bad company

semi-pro
ORM-D is very often completely misunderstood. US regulations do permit hazardous material to be classified and shipped as ORM-D when it is packed for commercial or retail purposes. Theoretically, if a commercial enterprise ships it to a private person for "private consumption", it is not ORM-D anymore, but Hazardous Material, requiring labeling, marking, packing and documentation in line with requirements. The same would go, if this ORM-D (or "Consumer CommoditY" ) is shipped by air. Applicable laws change for this type of shipment. A simple ORM-D sticker is not good enough, it must be an ORM-D-AIR sticker.

Huh?:knockedout::whiteflag:

I just drive a truck and deliver boxes...geez

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First, even if the package was properly marked, there are no rules regarding the ORMD package to not be released.

Secondly, you can sue any one you want, for anything. That does not mean you will win, or even see it completed.

Thirdly, as a UPS driver, you have a rich uncle that has quite a bit of money to take care of the problem. So unless the driver is stupid and does not tell the company, the company will take care of the lawsuit as it deems prudent.

Probably will offer the customer the $50 bucks it takes to get a dog from the pound.

Seriously though, the driver has no worries, unless the company is not notified.

BTW, when someone sues the "driver", in all reality they are suing the one with the deep pockets.

d

Big Babooba

a little off topic. but worth it IMO

tune: I'm Looking Over a Four-Leaf Clover

I'm looking over my dead dog, Rover,
Who I hit with the power mower.
One leg is missing, the other is gone,
A third leg is scattered all over the lawn.
No need explaining the one remaining
Is spinning on the car port floor...
Who I over-looked before!

Who I hit with the power mower.
My dog's not eating, he no longer barks;
He hit the propeller and turned into sparks.
No need explaining, there's no dog remaining;
He's a part of the lawn you see...
Who I sent to Eternity!:happy-very:

overallowed

i driver is being sued by a customer because he DR a ORM-D package and the customer's dog then ate it and then died

Don't worry because a customer is trying to sue. At my center, the company got served papers by a local ambulance chaser, saying that I threw a 78 lb. box at a customer and hit her in the chest, causing her to need her pacemaker replaced, and is seeking $100,000. Management thought it was such an absurd claim, they didn't suspend me or take any other action. They told her to bring it on. We are waiting for them to make the next move. It has been almost a year. They (mgmt) think it is dead in the water, but told me to write down the details so I don't forget, just in case. It is the first time I ever saw management side with a driver from the get go.
Don't be surprised if nothing ever comes of it (your case). Don't they have leash laws? If you left it on the porch, the dog shouldn't have been able to get it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The customer ordered the pkg therefore giving implied consent to deliver. As far as I am concerned once delivered the responsibility falls to the owner.

My dogs would destroy pkgs so I left a note for any pkgs to be left outside the gate. And I have many customers that have special delivery instr. for a variety of reasons.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We have a driver that was bitten by a dog. A very serious bite. Still has the scar. I have seen the scar and this is no minor scar. I am guessing considering the scar that remains, both physical and emotional, that this was probably settled out to avoid a suit. I have not asked the driver if this is the case though.

over9five

Staff member
We have drivers who have sued for dogbites. You can get a couple grand from their homeowners ins. More if you end up with a permanent scar.

I would definately sue. Could always use the 2 thousand.