Driver fired on christmas eve....

10 point

Our center manager posted a list with "driver teams". We had to call to make sure our "teammates" were OK before coming in.

I'll bet the driver was told to call before coming in and blew them off. He was then told to go back out and again blew them off, hence the termination.
Use my personal phone to call in after last stop?

What article is that under?

They have a computer program that they can view how many stops I have left.

Also, diarrhea is hard to diagnose or disprove. FYI.

Dr.Brownz

AM dispatch only here. You do not have to deliver anything except what is in your truck at the beginning of the day. Cannot be forced. Seen many a driver suspended or termed only to grieve and get back pay for everything.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
No I totally agree. Depending on how his language reads he can tell them to piss off.

I've been involved in this a few times. I had always heard work now grieve later. Well I did this one time when sent back out. Steward and BA told me no they cannot force you back out (I had worked 8 and taken my full break before returning). They said tell him to :censored2: off next time.

Fast forward a few weeks and same sup tries it again. I laughed at him and walked off. Him screaming he's gonna fire me the whole way to the building. I then proceeded to tell everyone else he tried to force that they didn't have to go back out. Boy did he turn red and curse me up and down. The next morning I greeted him with a harassment grievance.

I didnt know that on road sups could fire you guys . I thought on road sups basically were like full time part time sups.

Rainman

Its all good.
I don't blame the driver for not wanting to go back out, but any time you refuse to work as directed, you are playing with fire. We don't have any types of protections against PM dispatch, or against going back out where I am. Work first, grieve later. Even on Christmas Eve, it simply isn't worth it. The wife may be pissed off about him getting off late, but I bet she's even more pissed about him risking his job over it. The company can't just let it slide, or everybody will do the same next year. They will use this guy as an example in one fashion or another. Over what, another hour or two of work? It isn't worth it. Choose your battles wisely.

10 point

I don't blame the driver for not wanting to go back out, but any time you refuse to work as directed, you are playing with fire. We don't have any types of protections against PM dispatch, or against going back out where I am. Work first, grieve later. Even on Christmas Eve, it simply isn't worth it. The wife may be :censored2: off about him getting off late, but I bet she's even more :censored2: about him risking his job over it. The company can't just let it slide, or everybody will do the same next year. They will use this guy as an example in one fashion or another. Over what, another hour or two of work? It isn't worth it. Choose your battles wisely.
In other words: the contract isn't enforceable and no one should have rights because we're all a bunch of spineless cowards.

I don't think so.

Rainman

Its all good.
In other words: the contract isn't enforceable and no one should have rights because we're all a bunch of spineless cowards.

I don't think so.
Ok, get fired over something, wait 3 months to go to panel, get your job back possibly with back pay. You and your family suffer income loss and unnecessary stress because you didn't want to work for a couple more hours.
Reread my post. Like I said, we don't have the same protections where I am that you have where you are. I understand where you are coming from, but some battles are not worth fighting. If you were the one out late, you would want help from a 3:00 finisher.

10 point

Ok, get fired over something, wait 3 months to go to panel, get your job back possibly with back pay. You and your family suffer income loss and unnecessary stress because you didn't want to work for a couple more hours.
Reread my post. Like I said, we don't have the same protections where I am that you have where you are. I understand where you are coming from, but some battles are not worth fighting. If you were the one out late, you would want help from a 3:00 finisher.
Three months to go to the panel? Whatever.

I'll be glad to wait the month out to prove the language sticks.

Bowing to contract abuse due to chronic dispatch issues is part of our union problems.

Spinelessness sends a message to both sides of the fence. Screw that. You can ride on the coat tails of the members that enforce the contract and still dilute our rights?

Sorry, I'm not one of those "teamsters".

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Three months to go to the panel? Whatever.

I'll be glad to wait the month out to prove the language sticks.

Bowing to contract abuse due to chronic dispatch issues is part of our union problems.

Spinelessness sends a message to both sides of the fence. Screw that. You can ride on the coat tails of the members that enforce the contract and still dilute our rights?

Sorry, I'm not one of those "teamsters".
Any BA worth half a damn would have him back at work without even a local hearing. Let alone panel.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
With no pickups outside of letter boxes and the UPS store, there should have been plenty of drivers available to help the heavier all-residential ones.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You guys aren't reading what Rainman said: Not all areas have language that prevents the company from from sending you back out as long as you're still on the clock. We don't have any language like that in the Atlantic Area and I've seen two drivers fired for refusing to go back out. One got his job back because he begged for it at the hearing, the other one is gone.