Driver going after Contractor

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If Ground can get better wages then I have no problem with that and I woudln't miss a wink of sleep either. But at the same time it's not my problem "for Ground to get better." BBsam and Fred need to worry about that. I don't get paid to help Ground prosper. FedEx is a company that couldn't give a rat's ass about our ideas and suggestions so in essence we've pretty much quit giving them. Deaf ears never get any better.

Smith also doesn't give a damn about quality drivers either. He wants 'em as cheap as he can get them but also wants impressive results too. It'll be interesting to see how this bites the company in the ass 10-20 years from now with this concept.

bbsam

Staff member
Because to pay Ground drivers the equivalent of $5 to $6/hour more doesn't even come close to eating up the estimated "30% savings it enjoys over the competition". Instead of a 14% quarterly yield, maybe it drops to 11 or 12%. Still very profitable.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Because to pay Ground drivers the equivalent of $5 to $6/hour more doesn't even come close to eating up the estimated "30% savings it enjoys over the competition". Instead of a 14% quarterly yield, maybe it drops to 11 or 12%. Still very profitable.

OK, so tell Fred to just raise their pay. Problem solved. Good luck with that.

FedExer267

So this is the brightest attorney in the country, eh? None of the others found this angle? Hmmmm. I thing the lawyer is blowing smoke. And for it to spread, woudn't the majority of contractors have to be paying under minimum wage?

Absolutley bbsam the majority would have to be paying under minimum wage. This is what is going to happen for the crappy contractors to get weeded out. Like I said if this guy makes what he says he does to keep him over minimum wage he should not be working over 50 hours a week.
I will tell you though if it is ruled that we are owed OT I can see many more drivers going after their Contractors for that OT. Like I said this will be intresting to see I just want to see what happens with the OT issue considering the last time I checked CA was a OT state.

LTFedExer

True, so how does FedEx pay Ground drivers more and still keep the scam alive? It's based on the low wage model, so if and when wages are raised to a livable level (never), the advantage for FedEx disappears.

Yeah, I'm sure Fred will say "more money for Ground drivers? No problem." :lol:

And here I thought Ground drivers were paid by the contractors and not FedEx.

bbsam

Staff member

Why do you think I started a thread about it a month ago? It is going to happen and ironically I have all the angry law-suit happy contractors to thank for it.

Cactus

Wow. Keep up with the times.

Keep up with the times? You really crack me up, you know that?

You Ground people won't even invest in dropboxes. You just hope people will ignore the "NO GROUND PACKAGES ACCEPTED" signs on all the express dropboxes and we'll have to deal with your stupid packages.

If you can't afford dropboxes then how can you afford to pay drivers express type wages?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's why I asked for Express pay and benefit package. Wow. Keep up with the times.

You really don't get it. Let me know when that Express pay and benefit package comes through for you. Fred doesn't work that way, and he isn't going to give an inch until he absolutely has to do so. Do you think Fred likes having a 30% cost advantage over UPS?

bbsam

Staff member
You really don't get it. Let me know when that Express pay and benefit package comes through for you. Fred doesn't work that way, and he isn't going to give an inch until he absolutely has to do so. Do you think Fred likes having a 30% cost advantage over UPS?

With all due respect, you wouldn't know when you won, would you? You are so embroiled in resentment with Fred that you can't see cataclysmic change when it arrives. You think that the ISP model is simply a new name for an old system. You think it's going to be tied up in legal battles the same way that the IC model was. Doubtful. Fred's onto something with this and the only reason he didn't embrace it fully before is because it costs more. Everything you have always harped on about Ground is being addressed as we speak, but you choose not to see it.

Why is Fred going to pay more? Because that's what it costs. If we want experienced drivers with good character, we have to pay for it. If we want to draw from companies like Cintas or Aramark or Coca-Cola or beer distributors, we have to be competitive. That's where the Express pay and benefit information comes in. I know that at $12 to $14/hr we aren't going to attract those candidates. Fred knows it too. Last peak of the thousands that applied to be temp drivers only 1.9% qualified. We weren't getting the kind of experience and type of drivers that we need. Can we get them for Express type pay? We'll see.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
With all due respect, you wouldn't know when you won, would you? You are so embroiled in resentment with Fred that you can't see cataclysmic change when it arrives. You think that the ISP model is simply a new name for an old system. You think it's going to be tied up in legal battles the same way that the IC model was. Doubtful. Fred's onto something with this and the only reason he didn't embrace it fully before is because it costs more. Everything you have always harped on about Ground is being addressed as we speak, but you choose not to see it.

Why is Fred going to pay more? Because that's what it costs. If we want experienced drivers with good character, we have to pay for it. If we want to draw from companies like Cintas or Aramark or Coca-Cola or beer distributors, we have to be competitive. That's where the Express pay and benefit information comes in. I know that at $12 to $14/hr we aren't going to attract those candidates. Fred knows it too. Last peak of the thousands that applied to be temp drivers only 1.9% qualified. We weren't getting the kind of experience and type of drivers that we need. Can we get them for Express type pay? We'll see.

I understand that FedEx is addressing many issues with Ground. What you don't seem to understand is that Fred would be basically destroying his built-in 30% cost advantage by paying Express-level wages. He isn't likely to do that. You might see a benefit package or a slight raise in pay, but if you're thinking that Ground people are going to eventually topout at around $25 per hour, you're kidding yourself.

Most of us over here at Express are very familiar with the forums that upper management holds with employees, or in your case, contractors. They've been happening for years, and very little, if anything, ever gets addressed. They are information sessions that make it look like the corporation is actually going to do something when they have absolutely no intention of doing anything. It's just a game that will go on ad infinitum.

Coke drivers are union and beer drivers are usually union, and FedEx isn't going to be luring them away. You might get some people from Cintas or other non-union companies that also pay crap wages.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

HomeDelivery

but what bbsam is trying to do is to close the pay gap between what REAL delivery drivers are getting paid; (plus none of his drivers has come here and posted negative things about the job YET)

why did you think he try to get some information from this board??? so he can negotiate some more funds if he's going to become Corp. or ISP or whatever Fred seemed fit to call it. (the other contractors are going to be forced to get rid of the LLC in the near future & at least bbsam can see that this will be happening & is trying to find some leverage for the increase in pay)

Thanks,bbsam, for trying to improve your drivers' pay to close the gap between this and ups/ express/ etc...

as for CACTUS, why should the contractor be the one to foot the bill of providing drop boxes? the company should do that (then pass on the fees for the keys to open those boxes to the contractor, just like they did with uniform and scanner allowances)

or at least inform the public to use FedEx OFFICE as a drop point of GROUND packages... I've been given express packages from customers chasing me down the road(i'll tell them if its really overnight find an EXPRESS drop box or face a one-day delay) & got yelled at for taking them, but it's not a big deal; they just call it in for pickup the next day. If i see a drop box or an express truck, i'll go to them and stuff it in that slot on the side of the package car :P

i'll stay vigilant into looking for a better job for now...

Cactus

as for CACTUS, why should the contractor be the one to foot the bill of providing drop boxes? the company should do that (then pass on the fees for the keys to open those boxes to the contractor, just like they did with uniform and scanner allowances)

Well the company should foot the bill but were not talking real big money here either such as vehicle purchases. Neither the contractors or the company seem to want to take any iniative to provide Ground dropboxes in the first place. With someone so eager "to make Ground better" as bbsam, this would a step in the right direction.