Driver going after Contractor

HomeDelivery

well, then suck it up and just take the packages then!

i do it for express; doesn't bother me a bit when I told them we're a separate branch...

... i also ask them is this a priority parcel? does it have to be on a plane for express delivery?

if they say yes, I will refuse it. if they say it's just a warranty return of a defective item & they can wait the one-day delay of process, sure, i'll accept it & drop it off at a EXPRESS drop off box (if i run into it during my day) or just let the terminal manager deal with it.

I've also see customers bringing express items to the GROUND or Home Delivery warehouse; they should put drop boxes at those locations as well

FedEx2000

well, then suck it up and just take the packages then!

i do it for express; doesn't bother me a bit when I told them we're a separate branch...

... i also ask them is this a priority parcel? does it have to be on a plane for express delivery?

if they say yes, I will refuse it. if they say it's just a warranty return of a defective item & they can wait the one-day delay of process, sure, i'll accept it & drop it off at a EXPRESS drop off box (if i run into it during my day) or just let the terminal manager deal with it.

I've also see customers bringing express items to the GROUND or Home Delivery warehouse; they should put drop boxes at those locations as well

Most Ground terminals that i have been to have an Express DBX out front, as well as a regularly scheduled Express pickup at the Ground terminal for anything that the drivers might have picked up throughout the day.

HomeDelivery

yes, now the 2 terminals that I've worked at are now seeing the light...

...after so many Express packages that I used to get in my area, they're also going to have a similar practice as well since the locations between Express and Ground are not that far apart (within 20 minutes of each other)

just makes sense since some customers can't differentiate the two branches between Air Deliveries (orange EX) and Ground (green EX)

should be the other way around as well; make a pile of GROUND packages & give a ring to your closest GROUND terminal & they'll pick them up using a Call-tag method or something similar...

back to the OP, it's kinda wrong to be going after the contractor; you have the right to leave his LLC and go work for someone else that would pay better!

that contractor should have laid out the pay plan before the OP set foot inside one of his package cars... "flatrate per day + package bonus, etc. etc."

and if the driver rather be an hourly employee -with OT and holiday pay, vacation pay, and so forth- he should have went to Express or UPS instead of Ground/ Home Delivery...

in my area, it's called "at-will" or something like that... and you can get fired or quit on the spot without notice

Last edited:

FedExer267

Well said. The fdx ground truck in my area is a piece of crap! The driver is cool, but even he feels embarrassed driving it.

Sounds like my truck!!! The only new trucks are the ones the Contractors were driving but of course they cannot drive anymore. Some of the trucks in my building look like a race car after a race at bristol all patched up off white or tan there are a few that are white RPS is showing through the cheap paint job. Most of the trucks leak and have well over 500,000 miles on them. These things harldy ever pass inspection but apparently thats our butts on the line now.
It is very embarassing to drive these things.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sounds like my truck!!! The only new trucks are the ones the Contractors were driving but of course they cannot drive anymore. Some of the trucks in my building look like a race car after a race at bristol all patched up off white or tan there are a few that are white RPS is showing through the cheap paint job. Most of the trucks leak and have well over 500,000 miles on them. These things harldy ever pass inspection but apparently thats our butts on the line now.
It is very embarassing to drive these things.

There is a Ground driver in my route area who has one of the old ex-RPS trucks. It sags to one side, is full of dents, and looks like it belongs in some Third World country. But it still runs, and that's all that counts.

There is another local Ground driver who supplements his meager wages by doing swap meets. It looks really professional to have some guy selling junk out of the back of his Ground truck. He's supposed to cover the logos, but he obviously doesn't care.

FedExer267

There is a Ground driver in my route area who has one of the old ex-RPS trucks. It sags to one side, is full of dents, and looks like it belongs in some Third World country. But it still runs, and that's all that counts.

There is another local Ground driver who supplements his meager wages by doing swap meets. It looks really professional to have some guy selling junk out of the back of his Ground truck. He's supposed to cover the logos, but he obviously doesn't care.
Thats what they get for paying the cheap wages they do. No professional driver wants this job at all. I have seen 4 newhires in the last month not one of them made it a full week. Its just not worth what these guys are paying. So that raises the question if they are going to disqualify the current drivers and per their rules they want someone with 6 months experience in the last year who is going to drive these routes when we all get disqualified?

Professional drivers use to the perks of being a professional will not come here to work up to 70 hours a week for 400 to 500 dollars a week. At my building we are already talking to a lawyer and telling him per Judge Miller we are Independent Contractors which means FedEx has no say in our Contractors business right down to using the trucks for another business on the weekends. I just think its funny you have your Contractor threatening you if you dont drive and you have FedEx ready to disqualify you if you do drive. This has to be the worst ran operation in America today.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thats what they get for paying the cheap wages they do. No professional driver wants this job at all. I have seen 4 newhires in the last month not one of them made it a full week. Its just not worth what these guys are paying. So that raises the question if they are going to disqualify the current drivers and per their rules they want someone with 6 months experience in the last year who is going to drive these routes when we all get disqualified?

Professional drivers use to the perks of being a professional will not come here to work up to 70 hours a week for 400 to 500 dollars a week. At my building we are already talking to a lawyer and telling him per Judge Miller we are Independent Contractors which means FedEx has no say in our Contractors business right down to using the trucks for another business on the weekends. I just think its funny you have your Contractor threatening you if you dont drive and you have FedEx ready to disqualify you if you do drive. This has to be the worst ran operation in America today.

"You get what you pay for", but Fred thinks it should be the other way around. I've been corrresponding with Snackdad, who relates the same story I hear constantly from all parts of the FedEx system, and that's the fact that FedEx is knowingly sending couriers out on the road with more work than they can possibly perform during their shift. if you don't get it done, they will invent a way to fire you. In order to not be fired, you have to cheat yourself and the system by working through your breaks and then entering the data later. Management is fully aware of this, yet they continue to press for increased "productivity" and profit despite the illegality of forcing people to work unsafely and denying them their breaks. Many couriers give Fred a free hour of uncompensated time every day.

It's always amazed me how Ground can even find people who are so willing to be abused. FedEx has already pushed well beyond the scope of what should be limited control under an ISP model. I hope that there is a law firm out there that sees the class action potential of all of this, at both Ground and Express. FedEx is a totally corrupt business, rotten from the top-down.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hey, it's only got 2 million miles. He bought it from Honest Ali's Used Trucks in Baghdad, so you know it's good.

lmao

Hey bbsam, this guy has a STEAL on craigslist Islamabad. is this a good investment?

Delivery%20Truck.jpg

DorkHead

LOL. I don't know. But the oldest truck in my fleet is '98. Locally UPS still has trucks from the late '80s.

You are correct, but they are always in good shape-no dents, good rubber, and will always pass inspection. When I started driving in the mid 80`s I drove a 64 Ford pc600 with plywood bulkheads and shelves for 8 yrs. That 600 would go just about anywhere in the snow. Then a pc800 for 15 yrs. Now for the last 3 a new 600 automatic. In fact, our center has 95% new autos, not 1 over 3 yrs. old

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You are correct, but they are always in good shape-no dents, good rubber, and will always pass inspection. When I started driving in the mid 80`s I drove a 64 Ford pc600 with plywood bulkheads and shelves for 8 yrs. That 600 would go just about anywhere in the snow. Then a pc800 for 15 yrs. Now for the last 3 a new 600 automatic. In fact, our center has 95% new autos, not 1 over 3 yrs. old

I'm aware of at least 3 stations in my district that still use 1984 W600's. They are death traps. Poor vision, gas fumes, and not very comfortable. They only retire them when something major fails.

bbsam

Staff member
2 '98 International 7.3l (1000)
1 '05 GMC Durmax (18 ft. box truck)
1 '04 Freightliner 5.9l Cummins (1200)
1 '05 Freightliner 5.9l Cummins (1200)
1 '11 Freightliner 6.7l Cummins (1000)
1 '06 Ford E350 5.4l (10 foot box)
1 '08 Freightliner 6.7l Cummins (700)
1 '02 Ford E350 6.8l Quigley 4x4 conversion
1 '00 Freightliner 5.9l Cummins (700)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
2 '98 International 7.3l (1000)
1 '05 GMC Durmax (18 ft. box truck)
1 '04 Freightliner 5.9l Cummins (1200)
1 '05 Freightliner 5.9l Cummins (1200)
1 '11 Freightliner 6.7l Cummins (1000)
1 '06 Ford E350 5.4l (10 foot box)
1 '08 Freightliner 6.7l Cummins (700)
1 '02 Ford E350 6.8l Quigley 4x4 conversion
1 '00 Freightliner 5.9l Cummins (700)

Your fleet looks better on paper than most Express stations. I think Fred is paying you too much money. I hear the Duramaxx is a great motor. Would that be hooked-up to the equally excellent Allison automatic?

bbsam

Staff member
Your fleet looks better on paper than most Express stations. I think Fred is paying you too much money. I hear the Duramaxx is a great motor. Would that be hooked-up to the equally excellent Allison automatic?

Yep. Just like my pickup. '98 Internationals among the best setups I've ever seen (with 7.3l). Little Ford gassers have outlasted alot of diesels. One guy turned over 500,000 on the original motor and tranny earlier this year.

Non sequitur

Even if the contractors raise their ground employees to 18-20 an hour thats still less then many non-union LTL drivers. That should be their base pay plus bonus for high productivity. When the labor market tightens up good luck finding hard working, trustworthy employees.