Driver Helpers

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
My helper the other day pissed on someone’s oak tree in the front yard
To be fair, I have been a helper on a truck with a driver who did pretty much as bad.

We were in a massively expensive neighborhood, and he sent me with a package while he took a bathroom break.
No big deal, right? Figured he had a gatorade bottle or something.
As I came back, he had the back door about halfway lifted, and was urinating out into the street.

I am shocked to this day that there was no complaint called in with a ring doorbell video.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have had some real gems. During one Election year, one told me he already had some jewelry stores picked out to loot if Obama lost. I let him go after that day. I was wondering if he was going back and stealing the deliveries we made. I had another one that worked as a stripper at night, she pulled a no-show on Christmas Eve. I would rather work without a Helper, most were more trouble than they were worth. Helpers and the time change were the reason I retired at the time of year I did.

Est.1998

This goes back quite a few years when I was a helper. My driver dropped me off at twilight in the absolute worst part of the city during a very bitter cold snap after a heavy snow. This part of the city had unplowed streets and no sidewalks. At least there were no sidewalks that I could use with the heavy frozen snow and ice. He put out the hand cart piled high with packages and said, "See you in an hour or two."

Not long after he leaves, I'm trudging through the snow piles and frozen ice ruts with packages falling everywhere. A US Mail truck stops and asks me what the hell I'm doing walking around this part of the city near dark with all these packages without my truck. I tell him I'm a driver's helper and the driver dropped me off to make hand deliveries via cart. He shakes his head and says, "Good Luck. You'll need it." About 30 minutes later it's getting pretty dark and a Deputy Sheriff stops and askes me if I need help, assuming my truck had broken down. I explain what I'm doing. He says, "Whatever they are paying you, it's not enough."

Est.1998

To be fair, I have been a helper on a truck with a driver who did pretty much as bad.

We were in a massively expensive neighborhood, and he sent me with a package while he took a bathroom break.
As I came back, he had the back door about halfway lifted, and was urinating out into the street.

I am shocked to this day that there was no complaint called in with a ring doorbell video.
Massively expensive?
You talking about where Bill Gates lives?

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
My helper 2 years ago was the greatest helper ever!!!! She moved so damn slow i didn't have to worry about helping other drivers or getting my 12 hours. God I miss her.

My first helper I ever had was named Sam. He always showed up kind of on time. Wss pretty slow and all around worthless. I would ask him everyday if he had something to do and he would say no im good to go all day. Come 530-6 his phone would ring and he had something ge had to do. At least he was consistent.

Had another helper who told them when she was hired that she wanted to make $900 to buy this for Taurus then she would quit. She was a woman of her word. Once she reached that amount she was gone.

GenericUsername

I had a helper a few peaks back who was some kind of character to say the least. He was 19, fresh out of high school and a former basketball star who got caught up with some bad people. He had spent a few months in jail and was looking to get some money for the holidays so he could do whatever it was that he does. Anyhow, I dropped him off at one apartment building and I went to the next one. By the time I was done delivering he still wasn't back to the truck, so I called him. The friend'er was sitting inside some lady's kitchen eating as she invited him in to have a bite lol. I went on to deliver the rest of the neighborhood and then left not knowing what ever happened to him. The lady was fine as I saw her a few months later and she always had this weird smile about her face whenever she saw me.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
i've only had 5-6 helpers so far so no crazy stories yet. 1 was a no show. 1 was ok but a "slow roller", 1 was actually good but a pre loader for ups in a city almost an hour away so he told me right from the start that he wouldn't be going out with me again because the commute wasn't worth it. 1 was actually terrible. i think his name began with quan and ended with tavius. i am certain he couldn't read. i have 3 apartment buildings with over 400 apts that are surrounded by a nice SFR community and i wanted to use 1 apt bldg to show him so he could do the other 2 while i knocked off a few houses. i showed him a few different shipping labels and pointed out the difference between each because each building uses a 4 digit apt code so 1123 = building 1 first floor apt 23, 2123 = building 2 first floor apt 23, 3123 = building 3 first floor apt 23 and so on.

one of the buildings had only about 10 pkgs total, great, easy place to start. there are 2 elevators in this building about 400ft apart in the same hallway. i know these apt floorplans by heart by now so i took 7 of the 10 and gave him the other 3. i was very clear with him, take this one to the 2nd floor, apt 26. take these 2 to the 4th floor apts 9 and 17. i started running off the rest of the stops, clearing the 3rd floor and basement (due to only 1 elevator having basement access) and catch the elevator back up the the first floor and when the door opens, there he is with all 3 packages, 400ft from where i left him. he asks me which floor each pkg is going to. i knew then i was in trouble and the next time my phone rang i told him it was my supervisor telling me i had already reached my quota for helper time that day.

today i actually had my best helper yet. i had to tell the guy twice no running. he's at a local college on a 2 month christmas break because of covid. i was able to stack the hand truck with two streets worth of pkgs and tell him i would meet him at the end and had no issues whatsoever while i took off and did other streets. i hope i get this guy again next week when the 300 stop days start coming in.

wht1zzfe

Need a time and place for helper to meet you. No, I don't want a helper. Need a time and place ASAP. No, I don't want to wear a mask all day. Manager called me. Ended up picking the dude up at 4pm. He's a cool dude I don't mind it now. Actually takes longer on this route. It's almost all county roads in a rental. I can count the number of times we each walk a stop off on one hand. Whatever, I pick him up right away and he stays until we're done. Let the man get paid.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Hahaha, this kid legit smelled like cat piss. It was overwhelming, no way in hell was I letting him on my truck. I was hoping he brought a change of clothes, or some sneakers at least. Nope. Rolled out of bed in his mother’s basement, put on a pair of flip flops and got on the bus to meet me.
anHOURover.
FACT

Boywondr

The truth never changes.

Insufficient evidence.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Not my helper. But my friends helper whipped his weewee on a public road with heavy traffic then start to pee. My friend said “dude what are you doing? Just pee in this bottle.” So he hops in the truck mid pee but misses the bottle he was supposed to pee in. The pee got all over the truck. The Inside of the truck!!! He was 60+.

barnyard

KTM rider
I had a helper 3 years ago, after her 3rd day, says, "I can't start until 11a and have to be done by 2p every day. Also, I won't be able to work most Fridays." Turned out, she was in the middle of divorcing her 3rd husband, had 2 kids from each ex and was trying to schedule driving and picking up kids from 3 different school districts.

My 2 best helpers came from a smaller farming community. 1 was a computer programmer that was between jobs. It took like 30 seconds to explain the diad and after that he was good to go. Never ran, was nice to everyone, great person to be around. The other was a beef farmer that was looking for something to do during the off-season. I had him for 3 years and we are still friends on FB 10 years later. The last year he helped me, I got him a 10 lb ham from a local butcher for a bonus.