Driver - laid off, "Work as Directed" = Driver Rate in Hub?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Ya Dad, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Ya Dad

Ya Dad Member

Before I went Feeders (and became DQ'd after "33" working days, see this thread), I was a PM Air Driver part-time. I did that for 4 years until my position was put up for a combo bid, and I was sent back to work inside. However, because I was a Bid Air Driver, they couldn't take my classification away from me.

Since I was told to work as directed, wouldn't that mean it's not a layoff, and instead of getting my hub rate, I would get my driver rate for working inside since that's my classification?

2. Just get over it

3. UnsurePost

UnsurePost making the unreadable unreadabler

If you are laid off from driving, you might have an argument. But you would be better served asking a steward, or calling the union hall and asking for a business agent, than random information here.

4. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

99% of the time, your already-established base classification pay is what you should be making for any work you do anywhere, anytime if you're officially a PT or FT driver.

5. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

You get paid the job you work. Carry on.

6. BostonBo

BostonBo Active Member

When that happened to me I continued to make my air driver pay.

7. AndUPSER

AndUPSER Active Member

Wasn't you just an air exception driver, meaning you was never a permanent air driver? In that case, you will be paid your hub rate when you work in the hub.

8. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Steal a package car and take the out the fuel pumps!

9. Ya Dad

Ya Dad Member

I was told by the hiring supervisor in HR when she looked up my classification that I was a "Bid Air Driver," and near "Current Pay Rate" on my checks was my air driver rate. When I was sent back to work inside, I would still get my air rate for option days, holidays and vacation/option weeks.

10. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

At least until you are reclassified as a Hub employee.

11. Ya Dad

Ya Dad Member

Which they can't do because, according to our union contract, I am supposed to be returned to my previous position after being disqualified.