Driver running over dog

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I’ve covered a rural route where this one dog runs out INTO the street and starts attacking my tires and runs in the front of my truck as I’m trying to drive away on public road. Stupid bastard is lucky I don’t run his ass over on purpose.
When they're continuously in the street they're going to die sooner or later.

My only point in this is that the company is going to look at this as the driver knew the dogs were there since he had already been there, he drove at a rate of speed that didnt allow the animals to avoid the truck (they are personal property btw) and he was on their personal property, not on the street.

Are the animals a pain in the butt to deal with? Sure. But should you run them over if you could avoid them and therefore keep yourself, the company, and your job out of jeopardy? This video is not going to help the driver's case if everything appearing as it does is the whole story.

I hope that he called the boss and reported it when it happened.

Last edited:

Heavy Package

Don't worry - He's friendly! Bring the package up to me now!

upload_2020-1-25_6-45-47.jpeg

I HATE dogs. I HATE people.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Don't worry - He's friendly! Bring the package up to me now!

View attachment 280904

I HATE dogs. I HATE people.
You have a choice about whether to get out of the truck or not just like you have a choice to drive at a controlled speed when the dogs are at your vehicle.

You cant control how animals think and act but we have to make every attempt to make sure that we drive at a speed that they have a chance to avoid the vehicle when we are on someone else's personal property. On the street it's different. This looks extremely careless and I'm sure the posting of this video may not help the drivers case unless he/she is the Division Manager's child.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Does your toddler live outside? Does Children's Services know this?
Your child is an animal, sold in a pet store? Would you drive at the rate of speed as this driver was shown doing with two or three toddlers running around your package car? Nice analogy.
Many people treat their pets as if they were children.

quad decade guy

We all know dogs must be under control at ALL times...even in your own yard. They can never

bite anyone-ever. In the end, that's the way it's going to be. Now, your day in court may

have a different outcome....maybe. We had a pkg driver with the nickname "Killer". He was a

miserable person that went out of his way to run-over animals. He eventually got fired for

being a miserable sob. There are a lot of ways to deal with these situations in a professional

manner. There are laws and ordinances and OSHA. Grievances too. Or perhaps 1-800-UPS.

M

MenInBrown

If you get bitten on duty that’s assault at work. If any driver gets charged with an accident for running over a dog, drivers should be filing suit against UPS for assault if you get bitten.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If you get bitten on duty that’s assault at work. If any driver gets charged with an accident for running over a dog, drivers should be filing suit against UPS for assault if you get bitten.

You should notify the company, go to the hospital, file a police report, and sue

the home owner for lost wages and medical expenses. Easy win.

If need be.... you can file for worker's comp.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Does your toddler live outside? Does Children's Services know this?
Your child is an animal, sold in a pet store? Would you drive at the rate of speed as this driver was shown doing with two or three toddlers running around your package car? Nice analogy.
That’s the whole point dude. Smh

You either care for your pet on the level of a family member and treat/protect it as such or it’s just a dog.

You don’t get to treat it with carelessness then cry foul when something happens.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
We all know dogs must be under control at ALL times...even in your own yard. They can never

bite anyone-ever. In the end, that's the way it's going to be. Now, your day in court may

have a different outcome....maybe. We had a pkg driver with the nickname "Killer". He was a

miserable person that went out of his way to run-over animals. He eventually got fired for

being a miserable sob. There are a lot of ways to deal with these situations in a professional

manner. There are laws and ordinances and OSHA. Grievances too. Or perhaps 1-800-UPS.
You can be fired for being a miserable SOB?!

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
That’s the whole point dude. Smh

You either care for your pet on the level of a family member and treat/protect it as such or it’s just a dog.

You don’t get to treat it with carelessness then cry foul when something happens.
Shake your head a little harder and common sense may float to the top.

Dogs are kept in the yard with a collar and an electrical zone. Thats careless? Thats legal because they are an animal. Put that collar on your kid. Is that legal? SMH. Get a clue "dude". Its and animal and it wasnt off the property. Dude.

And ...
It's the owners property, not the street. They are dogs, not 2 yr old toddlers. The driver knew they were there and ran over one ar speed that was....wait for it....careless.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.

There is the main issue I'm talking about.

Its not that the guy ran over the dog, the issue I believe is condemning is the rate of speed the truck was moving when the driver ran over the dog, after they already knew the dogs were present and the driver appeared to aggressively drive through them anyway.

Again, the dogs were on the owners property, not in the street. If the truck wouldve been driving at a slower speed of approach the driver should not be faulted imo.

The question is this in the hearing: did the driver do everything they could've done to avoid crushing the dog.

The question will not be about how the dog got under the tire.

The only control and responsibility the driver had was the speed they chose to drive through a group of animals, on someone else property, and especially after having knowledge that the animals were already present and loose.

Let this be a learning experience no matter how much you are tired of loose dogs where you have to deliver.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I’m not saying it does. I’m assuming you wouldn’t let your children roam around on your property while a delivery driver is driving down your driveway. Why is it ok to let dogs do that?
My kids are not animals. And I dont keep them outside.

Did the driver get charged for vehicular homicide?

Come on.

On top of that what would happen to a driver who ran over a child after they already had knowledge that the child was present and the child was in their own driveway as these dogs were.

You KNOW what would happen to the driver's job and so does about everyone posting and reading this forum.

Last edited:

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
If someone is driving up your driveway, do you let your kids run around in the driveway?
My kids are not animals. And I dont keep them outside.

Did the driver get charged for vehicular homicide?

Come on.

On top of that what would happen to a driver who ran over a child after they already had knowledge that the child was present and the child was in their own driveway as these dogs were.

You KNOW what would happen to the driver's job and so does about everyone posting and reading this forum.
These are not children. They are animals that are kept outside and it's the owners right to do so legally.

A child left outside unattended and crushed by a ups truck would bring MAJOR repercussions.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I am just saying that if the driver's vehicle speed was showing caution to try to avoid running over the owners animals then the situation would be much more in favor of the driver.

Learn from it. Dont let this be you.
We are always at fault in this company and every accident is automatically deemed avoidable and you have to prove your innocence.
Expect the unexpected and expect the worst from your management and their bosses when it comes to accidents.