Driver running over dog

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Shake your head a little harder and common sense may float to the top.

Dogs are kept in the yard with a collar and an electrical zone. Thats careless? Thats legal because they are an animal. Put that collar on your kid. Is that legal? SMH. Get a clue "dude". Its and animal and it wasnt off the property. Dude.

And ...
It's the owners property, not the street. They are dogs, not 2 yr old toddlers. The driver knew they were there and ran over one ar speed that was....wait for it....careless.
1) you have no idea if they had an underground fence

2) common sense is if you do have an invisible fence you keep the boundaries away from. Where vehicles are.

Once again that is if you care about your pet and their safety.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
1) you have no idea if they had an underground fence

2) common sense is if you do have an invisible fence you keep the boundaries away from. Where vehicles are.

Once again that is if you care about your pet and their safety.
I dont care if they had a fence.
These are not children. They are animals that are kept outside and it's the owners right to do so legally.

A child left outside unattended and crushed by a ups truck would bring MAJOR repercussions.
Drive at a responsible speed and you may keep your job when you crush someone's animal on their property.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
You should notify the company, go to the hospital, file a police report, and sue

the home owner for lost wages and medical expenses. Easy win.

If need be.... you can file for worker's comp.
$5,000 per occurrence and $10,000 per occurrence if bit in the face was the norm in our area.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
These are not children. They are animals that are kept outside and it's the owners right to do so legally.

A child left outside unattended and crushed by a ups truck would bring MAJOR repercussions.
My point is that most people treat their dogs as a member of the family. If you wouldn’t be this careless with a child, why would you be this careless with a dog?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I dont care if they had a fence.

Drive at a responsible speed and you may keep your job when you crush someone's animal on their property.
This guy isn’t losing his job. I’m not saying the driver was totally innocent. I’m saying in my opinion the owners don’t get to cry foul. They were just as careless in the handling of their animals as the driver was in his driving.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
My point is that most people treat their dogs as a member of the family. If you wouldn’t be this careless with a child, why would you be this careless with a dog?
Treating a dog as a child doesnt make it a child . This is getting old. It wasnt a child.
This guy isn’t losing his job. I’m not saying the driver was totally innocent. I’m saying in my opinion the owners don’t get to cry foul. They were just as careless in the handling of their animals as the driver was in his driving.
And every object we hit shouldn't have been put there. Good luck with that one.
SMH

rod

Retired 22 years
I bet not. He has to see them often as they actually knew who the bid driver was.

Not every driver is a hard hearted jerk. I would feel horrible if that video was about my actions driving at that speed and running over anyone's pet.

I understand the aggravation of dealing with dogs. Done it for over 2 decades but crushing someone's pet because I was careless isnt something that makes me smile out of justification that I could do it and then not care.
I bet the regular driver has hated this stop for a long time and is glad that out of control dog is out of the picture.

Heavy Package

All BS aside - I have been charged at by a truly vicious dog once - a large Chow in a big yard. It was (is) terrifying. I think of the post a year or so ago about a UPS driver literally mauled by 3 German Shepherds in PA (I think). Almost to the brink of death. The facts are distorted on both sides of this argument. UPS and the homeowner just want to blame the driver. We know as drivers how much pressure they put on us for customer service, proper delivery methods, blah blah blah and just how much homeowners lie about everything. Fact is that no one here knows the true story. S happens when you deliver 1000's upon 1000's of stops. People want their stuff right at their front door and we far too often are pressured into driving large commercial trucks down too tight or narrow spaces or way down the dirt road to their stupid dumpy house to drop literal junk off at their door. And God forbid something happens or they call in a complaint. friend UPS and the homeowner and friend the dog. Go to the store once in awhile for your junk.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Treating a dog as a child doesnt make it a child . This is getting old. It wasnt a child.

And every object we hit shouldn't have been put there. Good luck with that one.
SMH
Accidents happen when a dog is allowed to run free. You can lessen the chances of that happening by restraining them (kinda like kids).

Most “objects” don’t move when a giant brown object comes into their space.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I bet the regular driver has hated this stop for a long time and is glad that out of control dog is out of the picture.
I can't speak for him. Not every driver hates dogs. There was a bid route I took and dogs were loose everywhere. Two of them ran after me aggressively at one stop every day I went there. The old bid driver delivered it one day and they were docile toward him. He said he fed them french fries one day and ever since then they were buddies.
Dogs know if you dont like them or are afraid of them. They also can learn your driving habits. Two doberman pinschers always waited by the road and chased my truck as I turned left out of the drive every time. One day I turned right and they just sat down dumbfounded. You only figure them out if you run the route every day. They get used to you and vice versa.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
All BS aside - I have been charged at by a truly vicious dog once - a large Chow in a big yard. It was (is) terrifying. I think of the post a year or so ago about a UPS driver literally mauled by 3 German Shepherds in PA (I think). Almost to the brink of death. The facts are distorted on both sides of this argument. UPS and the homeowner just want to blame the driver. We know as drivers how much pressure they put on us for customer service, proper delivery methods, blah blah blah and just how much homeowners lie about everything. Fact is that no one here knows the true story. S happens when you deliver 1000's upon 1000's of stops. People want their stuff right at their front door and we far too often are pressured into driving large commercial trucks down too tight or narrow spaces or way down the dirt road to their stupid dumpy house to drop literal junk off at their door. And God forbid something happens or they call in a complaint. friend UPS and the homeowner and friend the dog. Go to the store once in awhile for your junk.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of hearings.

Dogs present? Honk the horn and sheet it NI1 in your cab if the customer doesnt come out, give it to the clerk and have them call or post card the consignee if they dont answer.

The driver will be blamed if they get bit, run over the animal, and anything else the company wants to tack on in their all knowing wisdom.

I know one supe that got bit in the butt by a dog hiding in the tall grass waiting for the opportunity and of course the supe got into the truck last. He went to the hospital. I guess they didn't honk and call out "ups" enough. Whatever.
We are almost always at fault. I just try to limit my vulnerability when dogs are present. Creep in and creep out...after or without delivering the pkg.

I know for a fact that slowing the truck down to a crawl takes less time and stress than filling out an accident or injury report and sitting unpaid in a hearing.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when i see a loose dog i slow down and come to a stop if necessary. if a dog comes out of nowhere , there is not much you can do.

we are trained to expect the unexpected but sometimes accidents happen anyway.

in this case the owners don't have a leg to stand in IMO. not even a dog leg.

ManInBrown

We’ve all been in these scenarios; it’s especially fun when people have an irreg or a sig required and make the driver go through a dog obstacle course just to give them their pkg

nope. NI1 NI2 NI3. After the second time I would sometimes mention to the return clerk somebody needs to call this person or they are not receiving their package. Normally the next day I would get a msg. Dog will be inside today so you can deliver. Didnt care if it was a Rottweiler or chihuahua. I never walked on properties where a dog was outside, or I knew the dog had access to get outside without someone letting him out. Delivered to a very affluent area and the truck was a lot of times far from the front door. I wasn’t getting caught on an island while Rusty chased me around the front lawn.

And nobody on my route ever got their package delivered to their front door if they lived in the woods and I couldn’t see the house from the street. Released right at the mailbox. I had one house, that was very far off the road that I walked off. I saw the lady one day leaving and she asked me to please leave the packages at her garage as one had gotten stolen years before I took over the route. Told me she didn’t even have a goldfish. No animals to be afraid of. That was the only house that I couldn’t see that I walked off.

Heavy Package

when i see a loose dog i slow down and come to a stop if necessary. if a dog comes out of nowhere , there is not much you can do.

we are trained to expect the unexpected but sometimes accidents happen anyway.

YOU NEVER WORKED AT UPS!! YOU LIAR! Feeder driver? Retired? Now package car driver still running your mouth like you delivered on Friday? WTF? LIAR LIAR LIAR!!!

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
nope. NI1 NI2 NI3. After the second time I would sometimes mention to the return clerk somebody needs to call this person or they are not receiving their package. Normally the next day I would get a msg. Dog will be inside today so you can deliver. Didnt care if it was a Rottweiler or chihuahua. I never walked on properties where a dog was outside, or I knew the dog had access to get outside without someone letting him out. Delivered to a very affluent area and the truck was a lot of times far from the front door. I wasn’t getting caught on an island while Rusty chased me around the front lawn.

And nobody on my route ever got their package delivered to their front door if they lived in the woods and I couldn’t see the house from the street. Released right at the mailbox. I had one house, that was very far off the road that I walked off. I saw the lady one day leaving and she asked me to please leave the packages at her garage as one had gotten stolen years before I took over the route. Told me she didn’t even have a goldfish. No animals to be afraid of. That was the only house that I couldn’t see that I walked off.
We give them to the clerk immediately after NI1 when dogs were outside. The clerk contacted them by phone or if unable to reach by postcard. Dogs have jumped into our cabs and bit drivers when the weather was nice and the doors were open.
They get one attempt then will called.
Heck one of the drivers pulled in and the customer had lion outside on a chain! The cat got scared and broke the chain.
I'd say that was EC'd. Make it a permanent will call please.