Driver terminated using gps info

over9five

Staff member
I don't understand why a driver would want to cheat our customers by scanning before you get there. They paid for 10:30 delivery, if it's not in their hands at 10:30 they deserve a refund.

Nothing will ever get fixed if people continue to cheat the system (and our customers).

I don't understand why a driver would want to cheat our customers by scanning before you get there. They paid for 10:30 delivery, if it's not in their hands at 10:30 they deserve a refund.

Nothing will ever get fixed if people continue to cheat the system (and our customers).
Tell me something, ever deliver a NDA to a resi , no one home only to return later in the day with ground and the NDA is still where you left it? what deference could it make if the NDA was there by 10:30 or not? I know that one would have no way of knowing if someone is home or not but it is still frustrating to bust your butt for nothing.

I agree the customer deserves to get what they pay for. Here's a novel idea, how about UP$ giving the driver a chance to succeed rather than shootin' 'em in the foot and blaming 'em for limping.

paidslave

The reason why this is done because these drivers don't want to answer to managment if one is late since that will be there fault once again. So it is never ending. These drivers do forget that the customer is paying for this service. I don't condone this behavior but some times you can't blame them entirely because of the fear and intimdation by management!

UPS has there own freight department, feeder department, air department.....Maybe it is time UPS has air drivers to deal with this. Regular package car drivers have way to many stops as it is. Go back to 12:00 and lower the air rates. I think this problem will be resolved!

Lots of drivers were hired before this 10;30 comitment and are being threatened and imtimidated because UPS dropped the ball way back regarding service!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What a double-standard both FedEx and UPS have on the falsification issue. I see management falsification all the time on various reports, yet when an hourly falsifies anything it's time for the cross and nails to come out so they can be terminated with a vengeance.
The pressure to not have lates is intense, and so is the temptation to cheat the system. We have managers who actually try and beat the system by encouraging drivers to enter "delay" codes for certain customers who have guard gates or other security issues that could potentially cause a package to be late. The problem is that drivers wind up "abusing" the code and then are fired by the same manager(s)that advised using it in the first place.
When all of this comes-up during the inevitable GFT hearing the manager is inevitably absolved of any responsibility for the falsification. We suspect that our GPS is being used to exactly pinpoint driver location at the time of data entry to make the case for termination absolutely concrete. That's what I call a double standard.

barnyard

KTM rider
What a double-standard both FedEx and UPS have on the falsification issue.

The Fedex guy that delivers in my area says that everyday he gets to decide who gets late air and who gets it on time. The ground guy says that he routinely sheets stuff delivered and then delivers it the next day.

At some point, a group of shippers should get together and file a class action suit, fraud is being committed.

TB

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ground drivers are held to a much lower standard than Express drivers. If everyone who received late air shipments with FedEx Express held them to their 10:30 "on-time or it's free" guarantee, we'd be out of business. FedEx has so much fine print attached to it that we have an excuse for almost anything that is late.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tell me something, ever deliver a NDA to a resi , no one home only to return later in the day with ground and the NDA is still where you left it? what deference could it make if the NDA was there by 10:30 or not?

Well while you are using that excuse, why no the guy who states "why did they send that next day air, I dont need it till next week".

The bottom line is this. Either the reciever or the shipper felt like it needed to be there overnight by a certain time. And they paid the price we promised to get it there by. That is all the driver needs to know. Anything else in the discussion is just mud in the water. If the shipment is to be delivered by 10:30, get it there. If you have a 500 package bulk stop that has to wait, to bad. If your sup dispatches you with the air, its your job to deliver it.

As for the dishonest actions, sure, management does things that are dishonest. But does that make dishonest acts by the driver any less dishonest? Wrong is wrong, I dont care how you color it.

In our center, almost half of the air is late almost every day. When it gets bad enough, things will change. A start time of 8:50 and a left building time of 9:45 and the first stop off at 10:15 with 22 air stops to be delivered by 10:30.......who's problem is that?

Do things by the book. A sup screaming and ranting over late air is childs play when compared to a calm voice telling you do no longer have a job because of dishonesty.

d

filthpig

I can tell you this much: if you tell your supe you have too much air to get off, they can only discipline you for being late if you ran ground pkgs with it. The trick is to tell them you need help and if they don't give it to you, run ONLY airs.

tieguy

Banned
It's not what is IN the contract, but what was failed to be addressed. the language is very weak; any employee is not to be disciplined due to information gathered by GPS only....so, GPS plus a managers word, versus employee IS good enough? It's really sad that this work process and technology has come to this point in a way. Most drivers are honest, hard working people and could still face unnecessary discipline because of the vague language.

Does not change anything . GPS should show them running their route and doing their job. Its language that should never be needed if everyone does the job the way they were trained.

tieguy

Banned
It's not what is IN the contract, but what was failed to be addressed. the language is very weak; any employee is not to be disciplined due to information gathered by GPS only....so, GPS plus a managers word, versus employee IS good enough? It's really sad that this work process and technology has come to this point in a way. Most drivers are honest, hard working people and could still face unnecessary discipline because of the vague language.

it does not change anything. GPS should show the driver doing the job the way he/she were trained. If so then there is no issue with language in the contract.

tieguy

Banned
What a double-standard both FedEx and UPS have on the falsification issue. I see management falsification all the time on various reports, yet when an hourly falsifies anything it's time for the cross and nails to come out so they can be terminated with a vengeance.

another version of what you just said.
"what a double standard we have in society I read about people committing murder all the time and getting away with it. Yet if i committ murder i would go to jail"

You really should stick to only commenting on fdx management and not UPS. You have not earned the right to comment on UPS.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
[Most drivers are honest, hard working people and could still face unnecessary discipline because of the vague language./QUOTE]

How would a honest driver face discipline if they are doing their job like they have been trained. If you are honest, honestly do your best to get the air off on time, and you cant, then there is nothing they can do to you. If you fudge, even a bit, that is dishonesty. Period. Its not that you delivered late air, its that you tried to falsify records to cover up the fact you have late air. And that is why they will fire you andmake it stick.

Deliver late air late. Never lie about it. Never fudge your records. If you do, they will come back to bite you. I promise. It will just be a matter of time. And when that happens, all your great deeds of service will forever be tainted. The world is full of ex ups drivers that were fired for dishonest actions like this. But I know of not one that was fired for delivering a late NDA honestly.

Its your choice. You make the decision to either be honest or dishonest. And if you have to think about it, then you are not the "drivers are honest, hard working people".

d

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'll comment on whatever I choose to TieGuy. Since when do you own this site? And since I've also worked for UPS I have more knowledge of the company than you think. I really resent your smug superior attitude and general rude comments as well. Who appointed you God of the BC?
Yes,there's a double standard for almost anything, but we're being very specific here. Management is saying one thing and doing something else when push comes to shove. They tell employees to do something specific so their numbers will look good and then fire drivers when they do it....that's a double standard.
Management at both companies "cook the books" all the time and get away with it more often than not. Sure, there have been managers canned for falsification, but they generally protect each other. If someone is going to be headed out the door, 9 times out of 10 it's the driver.

pretzel_man

The pressure to not have lates is intense, and so is the temptation to cheat the system. We have managers who actually try and beat the system by encouraging drivers to enter "delay" codes for certain customers who have guard gates or other security issues that could potentially cause a package to be late. The problem is that drivers wind up "abusing" the code and then are fired by the same manager(s)that advised using it in the first place.
When all of this comes-up during the inevitable GFT hearing the manager is inevitably absolved of any responsibility for the falsification. We suspect that our GPS is being used to exactly pinpoint driver location at the time of data entry to make the case for termination absolutely concrete. That's what I call a double standard.

UPS changed its internal measure on late packages.

It used to be that if a delivery was marked as customer requested late delivery, or weather, or emergency, it did not count as a late package.

Now, all late packages regardless of the reason count internally as late. Its known as the "no excuses" service measurement.

Year to year, service is much improved. GSR payments are down accordingly.

P-Man

tieguy

Banned
I'll comment on whatever I choose to TieGuy. Since when do you own this site? And since I've also worked for UPS I have more knowledge of the company than you think. I really resent your smug superior attitude and general rude comments as well. Who appointed you God of the BC?

your prescence is tolerated here because we don't want to offend Cheryl but the fact is most of us here don't care for your company. I have no problem being honest and telling you that. I have no problem telling you I have gotten a lot of PM's from others here that support my smug superior attitude against fdx posters sticking their nose in ups business.

The previous points prevail. As a ups poster on the brown cafe I have a right to have a smug attitude and decide you a fdx employee do not have the right to comment on the moral character of upsers.