Driver Terminated

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have had one start to roll on me---it was an old 600 that had no compression left in the motor, and when I was getting out my knee bumped the spring-loaded parking brake and released it. I had it in gear but with no compression it started rolling anyway. Fortunately I was still in the car and was able to secure it.

probellringer

i dont know...maybe its me with the "new school" mentality-but--if you look at all the new trucks with auto trannys-dont think they got this problem-we really need to start putting $ toward new trucks-im not saying a/c,navigation ,sunroof,bose stereo,sat.radio.....BUT how bout updating the fleet alittle more frequently-i bet the insurance money we would save by having airbags and real seatbelts would offset it---....but theres nothing like rolling up to a resi---people come running out like kids to mr.softee----they hear our trucks miles away....it is so funny-the sound of the exhaust is unique....anyway....what was i saying?:knockedout::laughing:

sx2700

Banned
I have had one start to roll on me---it was an old 600 that had no compression left in the motor, and when I was getting out my knee bumped the spring-loaded parking brake and released it. I had it in gear but with no compression it started rolling anyway. Fortunately I was still in the car and was able to secure it.

An excellent point. I bet very few on here can deny that happening to them. From what I've seen in my center 75% of the package cars on the road should have been sent to the crusher many moons ago.

kene1024

An excellent point. I bet very few on here can deny that happening to them. From what I've seen in my center 75% of the package cars on the road should have been sent to the crusher many moons ago.

I have joked with my driver for a year about hearing him coming no matter where in the house I am....just by the sound of his brakes. The screeching metal-on-metal sound doesn't seem right, but he says the mechanic tells him the truck is OK.

N

Newguy23

Those old Ford 223 straight 6's had a whine that only dogs could hear. They would start running for the road when you were still half a mile away. The early 70's p600 is still one of the greatest cars ever. Would plow their own road in the snow. Wooden bulkhead doors don't rattle. And if you had a good mechanic, you could get an admittedly hair raising 75-80 MPH.

I had a roll-away in an automatic 1300. It rolled about 4 feet at about a half a mile an hour.,so slowly that I couldnt feel it moving while I was in the back sorting packages. The shifter was broken on the car. It didnt always lock into park, so sometimes youd try to start it and nothing would happen until you pulled it down through the gears and then back up again. I wrote it up in my DVIR the first time it happened and the shop said they could not find a defective part to replace on the shifter and then did nothing else about it. when the roll away happened I again insisted that the shifter had malfunctioned, only to have the notion dismissed by a manager who thought I was just making up stories trying to save my own skin. Ispection of the vehicle found again no defective parts. I was basiclly called a liar and suspended for a week. The same car was back on the road the next day. That week another driver came back from a stop,turned the key and found it wouldn't start because it wasnt in park. This driver hadn't been made aware that the possibility of a defect even exsisted . Luckily he wasn't parked on an incline or it would have been another, possibly deadly, roll-away accident.
The driver wrote it up that day. the car was then pulled and the whole shifter assembly replaced. Of course it was my fault for not writing up the failing parking brake, but you never expect an automatic to roll away. It just doesnt happen.
It was just gross neglegence for the sup to let the car back on the road the next day after having been told and shown it was unsafe.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We had a roll away at my center before I began working there and he is now my on-car sup (no, I am not kidding).

We had a driver back up out of the building without fully opening the rollup door, He's now our OnCar.

Chock blocks are required by the DOT. I never take a truck out if I find them missing during the pretrip. Our shop has extras. I have used them at times. Some companies require that all delivery vehicles be chocked.

Like Home Depot, to name one.

Why is it that you believe firing a driver for losing control of his vehicle is chicken excrement? More importantly, what would you suggest management do in such a situation? A verbal reprimand? A slap on the wrist?

If the company where to offer less than serious consequences for this sort of thing, what do you suppose would happen in court when a run away package car DOES find a stroller?

I see you are quick to cast aspersions at the company for reacting in a harsh manner to a serious situation, and yet are just as quick to get very defensive when someone casts aspersions and the driver who lost control of his vehicle.

And yes, thank God, there was no stroller in this incident. The point however stands, there just as easily could have been, which would lead to someone being dead based on the driver taking the exact same actions as what he did.

In this situation, it is of paramount importance that this incident be taken very seriously, and be shown to be taken very seriously. What sort of message does it send to younger drivers if failing to secure ones vehicle is treated lightly? Or even with less than the utmost of serious consequences?

Speaking as a member of management and a stockholder, the best outcome, IMHO, would be that he stews out of work for a couple weeks, gets reinstated at panels, and comes back to work with a renewed appreciation for the need to secure the vehicle at all times.

And the debate goes on......Management and hourly employees will never see eye to eye. Everything is Black or White to management. This scenario could have played out a 1000 different ways but to you there is only one solution. How can you justify potentially ruining a guys life on "what if"? Because all that matters is some numbers on paper and the bottom line. Who cares about one individual? Somebody else will certainly step right up and take his place and the job will get done.

Nice diatribe. Does not really further the debate or answer my question, but nice never the less.

When did I ever say there was only one possible solution? I offered one, that I thought was a good one, I never said that was the only one. Now, I do admit, I only offered one possible solution. But I will point out, that is one more than you have yet offered.

I have no desire to ruin anyone’s life. And again, as a member of management and stock holder I hope this 20 year, highly skilled and motivated employee returns to work. Someone with that level of experience cannot just be replaced by the next guy to step up. However, as a member of management I have a responsibility to the company, its other employee’s and the public not to allow unsafe behavior. The more unsafe the behavior, the greater the response needs to be to correct that behavior.

Letting a package car go rolling on down the road with no one at the wheel is an extremely unsafe behavior. Perhaps we could at least agree on that?

So let me ask you, hypothetically, if you were this drivers boss, what would you consider to be an appropriate discipline for this behavior?

Thank you for the condescension. You are right diatribe is a more fitting term than debate seeing as how there is no debating with management. The best answer I can give you as to what I would do is: I would fill out the accident report and have a conversation with the guy to get a better grasp of his state of mind and the circumstances involved then come up with a reasonable solution. But then what do I know? After all I am just a peon and my opinion certainly doesn't mean anything to anybody but me. BTW I just started this thread to get some information on the issue. I surely could have used a more proper term than "chicken***t" in my original post and for that I apologize. But I still think the termination was an extreme reaction to this particular situation, again just my opinion on the matter.

You are correct; my opening in my last post was condescending in tone. That was not really my intent. I was shooting just for a bit of humorous sarcasm. I hate condescension, bothers me no end when it is done to me, so it is only worse when I catch myself doing it. I apologize, and I appreciate you calling me on it.

As far as debating with management; All I can say is, managers are people like everybody else. They have a job to do, responsibilities, and constraints placed on them. Some are so hard headed they cannot be reasoned with. Most are not.
Remember, however, just because someone in management does not immediately agree with you does not mean they are unreasonable. I will give you an example from my own personal experience. I was working one peak as a helper coordinator, and I needed to assign a helper to a driver who had not yet hit heavy peak levels of volume. The reason I needed to do this, was that I was having helpers quit left and right. I also knew that in about a week the entire center was going to explode with volume. I would need helpers readily available, and with experience so they would actually be a help, not a hindrance to their drivers. I told the driver he would get a helper, and just to use the kid for a couple hours. The driver explained he did not need a helper, and did not want one. I tried explaining the need to get them hours and experience so they would stay. The debate went on until I ran out of time before start time and I had to pull the work as directed card. Now, in this drivers mind, I was totally unreasonable and would not listen to him just another insensitive management person.

Thanks for your reply to my question. I actually do like your approach to this situation, and, it might be the one I would use were I running my own business or perhaps working in a non-union company. That said, the trouble with taking these sorts of incidents on a case by case basis is that it leaves the management person open to charges of favoritism. The rigidity in management/hourly relations created by the contract is a double edged sword, and has positives and negatives for both. No, I am not a mindless union basher, I am well aware the positives for hourly predominate. One of the negatives though, is that it gives management no leeway in dealing less severely with someone we know is a good employee that just messed up than with an employee who just doesn’t care, given the same behavior.

In any event, as has been said, in many cases like these the firing does not stick and the driver does indeed get his job back. Based on the information you have provided, I would guess that is what will happen with your friend, and I hope for his sake that is what happens.

Props to both of you guys for not letting this get out of hand like the Obama thing. You both made wonderful points and IE was grown up enough to own up to his condescension as well as a good point made. This really proves that we can talk things out. You are both right, go figure. And may this thread serve as a reminder and prevent roll aways to all who read.:happy2: Guess I should have checked the dates, though all of the above still applies.

As far as those 1200/1300's I think this is a nationwide problem. I drove one with a similar problem.

Last edited:
We had a driver back up out of the building without fully opening the rollup door, He's now our OnCar.

Like Home Depot, to name one.

Props to both of you guys for not letting this get out of hand like the Obama thing. You both made wonderful points and IE was grown up enough to own up to his condescension as well as a good point made. This really proves that we can talk things out. You are both right, go figure. And may this thread serve as a reminder and prevent roll aways to all who read.:happy2: Guess I should have checked the dates, though all of the above still applies.

As far as those 1200/1300's I think this is a nationwide problem. I drove one with a similar problem.

are you referring to the shifter problem on the 1200's?

gandydancer

My one roll-away wasn't in a package car. I left my Nissan p/u in my driveway with a loaf of bread on the front seat and the rear window slid open. Some raccoons got inside and had quite a party until one of them touched the pull-and-twist parking brake. *bang* They had an exciting ride down the driveway and across the street and through my neighbor's retaining wall.

Thing was, that kind of parking brake was why I had bought that make of p/u. I too drive in San Francisco and had learned to use my Datsun's knife-switch-and-button hand brake to avoid rolling back when I had to stop a stickshift in upslope traffic, and when the doors fell off that p/u all the other brands only had the foot-loaded-hand-release version of a parking brake. I thought the pull-and-twist would be an ok replacement for the knife-switch version, but by the time the raccoons took their joyride I had several times had to dive for the footbrake when I'd leaned into the Nissan and an a slight touch from an errant elbow or package had touched the pull-and-twist's handle and released it. Along with the much inferior set of hooks for tying down a load it was the strongest source of my impression that even Japanese car design was going in the toilet.

rocket man

Mistakes happen .Ihope he gets his job back. just tell him he will have to go to 3 panels with out a doubt he will miss peak, good luck first a second hearings go no then deadlock dont give up go to the third. ITS gonna take a while the way things are now but you will make out ok good luck.

UPSGUY72

First of all why did he have a roll away if he was following proper methods he wouldn't of had a roll away unless there was a mechanical failure.

Stop car parking break on key off. Should be automatic after at the first week of driving and doing it 1000 times.

When parking on a hill turn wheel into curb for additional protection in case of mechanical failure.

There shouldn't be any rollaways have you ever had your personal car roll away on you????

First of all why did he have a roll away if he was following proper methods he wouldn't of had a roll away unless there was a mechanical failure.

Stop car parking break on key off. Should be automatic after at the first week of driving and doing it 1000 times.

When parking on a hill turn wheel into curb for additional protection in case of mechanical failure.

There shouldn't be any rollaways have you ever had your personal car roll away on you????

I had an automatic roll away on me due mostly to mechanical failure(the shifter was broke and didnt click into park every time). I dont know about you, but my personal car is also an automatic and i've never had IT run away on me. Of course I was charged with the un-avoidable accident and am currently back on the preload awaiting a meeting to discuss re-instatement to my previous position. I know I could have avoided this accident, that said, it was still kind of a tough-luck situation. I'll do my time on the preload and i'll eventually get my job back...luckily the contract clearly states that no employee shall be made to repeat progression through any pay scale...meaning I will go right back to top rate when I get back on the road.RIght now i am struggling to get by on the meager earnings of a 5 year preloader. WHY DOES ANYBODY WORK THE PRELOAD IF THEY HAVE NO AMBITION TO BECOME A DRIVER OR ANY KIND OF FULL TIME EMPLOYEE??!! there are much easier ways to make 10.50 an hour! collecting cans might even net higher earnings depending on what state you reside in. If you collect them with that same 'sense of urgency' that is.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i had a roll away and a slide away, both times i was able to get back into the car before it left the road or struck something. blessed or lucky depending on your viewpoint.

as for the personal car/ups truck analogy, my personal vehicle was only driven by me or my wife (now my son and daughter as well) so there was never the abuse that a ups truck goes through.

many of our drivers after several years of delivery still dont have a clue as to how to treat the vehicle. it does not belong to them, therefor they dont take care with how they drive it, stop it, and park it.

d

rod

Retired 22 years
as for the personal car/ups truck analogy, my personal vehicle was only driven by me or my wife (now my son and daughter as well) so there was never the abuse that a ups truck goes through.

Are you sure about that?--most kids beat the crap out of their parents car the first chance they get. (I did):wink2: