Driver training surprise.

Jj1213

Need that full time
I went to driving school back in OCT and was thrown blind onto a route in the second week of DEC. Nightmare! Since then I have been driving a variation of that route when needed. Haven't made scratch. I've been thrown blind on routes and been out for 12 hours, had work taken off, and ran lunches. Two weeks ago I was put on a training route with a sup. On the second day things fell through had to run the last half blind due to an emergency.
I drove a couple of more days in between on a route I was more familiar with, still not considered a training route.
Finally, this past Tuesday, put on another training route. The sup drove it the 1st day and the second he said to run the beginning alone and he'd meet up with me. Not doing well at at. Yesterday, he starts filling out the driver training manual for the first time. It seems that I have around 20 days of driving since the 15th of Jan. Now with 9 days left, it looks like I am going to be disqualified. His logic being that I haven't picked up on things yet because parts of the training route I should know. Possibly, but in my defense, aren't I supposed to have run a dedicated training route that is relatively consistent for 30 days?
The things I have run before were picking up slack and junk from other routes. Not sure what my options are. The sup. says he doesn't want to DQ me, but see if he can put me on a a hiatus. Whatever that means. So, around 20 days on road w/o a training route now I have 9 days to qualify on a route of which half I know, but not properly trained on and the other half totally in the dark about. Any suggestions?
If you have documention of what management is doing to you you can submit it to the union and they can fight to get you another 30 days

HULKAMANIA

Qualifying him at this point would be a disservice to both the OP and the company. He is not ready and needs a 2nd 30 day qualification period.

Are you really serious saying something like that? When a veteran driver such as yourself says something like this it TRULLY makes me wonder why any of us younger drivers bother paying union dues anymore. He wasn't given a fair shake by management BOTTOM line! What they did was dishonest, and unethical. They KNOW the RULES and they didn't abide by them which raises the question as to why? So were they just planning on using him and then DQing him on some false made up crap? He shouldn't be DQed cause they didn't follow the training rules, and he shouldn't have to restart his 30 days for the same reason. He did his part. He didn't have any accidents. When they pulled him off the training route the 5 day scratch SHOULD be off the table! You are telling me that even if he scratched the training route that means he will scratch other routes??? If anything what he did was pretty good to get tossed out like that in the middle of TRAINING!

Jj1213

Need that full time
Are you really serious saying something like that? When a veteran driver such as yourself says something like this it TRULLY makes me wonder why any of us younger drivers bother paying union dues anymore. He wasn't given a fair shake by management BOTTOM line! What they did was dishonest, and unethical. They KNOW the RULES and they didn't abide by them which raises the question as to why? So were they just planning on using him and then DQing him on some false made up crap? He shouldn't be DQed cause they didn't follow the training rules, and he shouldn't have to restart his 30 days for the same reason. He did his part. He didn't have any accidents. When they pulled him off the training route the 5 day scratch SHOULD be off the table! You are telling me that even if he scratched the training route that means he will scratch other routes??? If anything what he did was pretty good to get tossed out like that in the middle of TRAINING!
You are 100% correct but that's what management will do they know he has yrs in and they don't want that the only way is to document everything and the union can help him
They did this to me they based my numbers during severe snowstorms and dq me I kept document ion of this and sent to union they got me another 30 days

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're right----he shouldn't be DQ'd----which is why I said he deserves a 2nd 30 day qualification period. He is not ready yet and it would be unfair to put him on the street at this point.

Oh4ore

Talked to the center manager and the Sup. Got another 30. Went out with 160 yesterday. Got done by 1830, with SUP on the car. Said I should have been done by 6. Don't think I could do 160 alone on route w/o the ride along by 1800. It's a satellite route w/ 35 min drive to meet a driver every day with work off the sort then another 15 min to 1st stop. If I leave at a decent time, I start around 1030. Very challenging to get businesses off before lunchtime traffic, when to break off trace for air, drop schools, and squeeze in what resis I can and when. All with a sense of urgency w/o backing. Man, this guys having me pull into driveways all the time. Got to keep ORION happy. Sorry, the minute I crack a driveway or worse I'll wish I had driven around the block. So, at least now I am on a "training" route.

Pooter

Half hour over? You can shave that. A couple more days and area knowledge will kick in. Drive around your trace on the weekend if you have to.

Once the Sup leaves you will feel more liberated lol.

Work through your lunch (-30) and punch out before end of day paperwork (-10)