DRIVER TRANSFERS (over 10 seniority) FORCED TO WORK SATURDAYS

I've been with UPS for over 22 years and recently transferred. We start the T-S schedule this week and since I have low hub seniority I am scheduled to work T-S. Article 22 (b) says that no employee with seniority date prior to August 1, 2008 will be forced onto a Tuesday through Saturday work week. The union is stumped and so are the supervisors here because this is not a hub enforced schedule its a nationwide change. I was wondering if anyone knows or heard anything about transfers hired prior to 2008 forced to work T-S? Any help would be appreciated.

over9five

Staff member
I've been with UPS for over 22 years and recently transferred. We start the T-S schedule this week and since I have low hub seniority I am scheduled to work T-S. Article 22 (b) says that no employee with seniority date prior to August 1, 2008 will be forced onto a Tuesday through Saturday work week. The union is stumped and so are the supervisors here because this is not a hub enforced schedule its a nationwide change. I was wondering if anyone knows or heard anything about transfers hired prior to 2008 forced to work T-S? Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds cut and dried. WHO at the union is stumped?

542thruNthru

It's not really that cut and dried.

He would have had the contract protection if he had stayed but since he voluntarily chose to transfer he loses any of the protections offered by the Union.

Uh....what?!?

So because he transferred he isn't protected by the contract? That makes no sense. The only thing he lost was his center seniority. The contract says it in plain English that he can't be forced into a T-S schedule.

I know one thing is certain. No where in the contract does it say "if you voluntarily choose to transfer you lose all protection by the union."

Uh....what?!?

So because he transferred he isn't protected by the contract? That makes no sense. The only thing he lost was his center seniority. The contract says it in plain English that he can't be forced into a T-S schedule.

I know one thing is certain. No where in the contract does it say "if you voluntarily choose to transfer you lose all protection by the union."
He doesn't lose Union protection but he may lose all seniority except for pay rate and the number of vacations. Check and see what your new seniority date is.

542thruNthru

He doesn't lose Union protection but he may lose all seniority except for pay rate and the number of vacations. Check and see what your new seniority date is.

We have a driver who transfered in just last year. He is a 25 year driver. He will not be forced onto a T-S schedule because his FT seniority date is before August 1 2011. His center seniority is one of the lowest though.

We have a driver who transfered in just last year. He is a 25 year driver. He will not be forced onto a T-S schedule because his FT seniority date is before August 1 2011. His center seniority is one of the lowest though.
25 years FT seniority and pushed down to the bottom has got to hurt. Hopefully the transfer was worth it for him. Or else he would not have moved I would guess.

542thruNthru

25 years FT seniority and pushed down to the bottom has got to hurt. Hopefully the transfer was worth it for him. Or else he would not have moved I would guess.

Yeah we were all pretty surprised to find out he had 25 years FT driving. From what I was told it was family issues.

dudebro

This is why my labor manager used to never let us walk around with copies of the contract thinking we knew it all.

A circumstance like this will arise, where the language isn't specific enough. The issue is, what does "seniority" mean. In some locals, seniority based on hire date is the only seniority that matters. In others, like 177, center seniority comes into play. Which is it?

The union officers / BA need to sit down with labor and agree to a definition that will be kept on file in the district and probably at the local.

This is why you HAVE to get your union reps involved. Either this agreement already exists, or it needs to.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Senority date, has nothing to do with this issue, so lets stop using it. This is all about Article 22 (b).

Since no employee with seniority date prior to August 1, 2008 can be forced onto a Tuesday through Saturday work week, some with more center senority may have to work.

Sucks to be you, but that is how it goes.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Can he read?
Seriously, it's there in black and white. Tell him you want it enforced.

Not so fast.

When this guy transferred, he received a new seniority date, the day of transfer. This is used for bidding purposes. When he transferred, he was placed at the bottom of the seniority list with a new seniority date to prove it.

The contract is not specific about which seniority date, his original one in his center, or his new date, the day of transfer.

I am not saying that you are wrong, but it is not black and white. His new seniority date is the day of transfer, and this date is after 2008.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I'm considering a transfer that would result in me forgoing my more than 20 years of seniority. I asked HR about this very topic two weeks ago. They said that my hire date was what mattered not my seniority date. This is in CA in the Bay Area.