DRIVER TRANSFERS (over 10 seniority) FORCED TO WORK SATURDAYS

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm considering a transfer that would result in me forgoing my more than 20 years of seniority. I asked HR about this very topic two weeks ago. They said that my hire date was what mattered not my seniority date. This is in CA in the Bay Area.

That's not what your supplement says.

Your supplement says seniority date, not hire date.

Now, is this your part time seniority date if coming from the inside?

Is this your full time seniority date?

If you transfer, is this your transfer seniority date?

If I were you, I would not trust HR. Talk to your local.

over9five

Staff member
Not so fast.

When this guy transferred, he received a new seniority date, the day of transfer. This is used for bidding purposes. When he transferred, he was placed at the bottom of the seniority list with a new seniority date to prove it.

The contract is not specific about which seniority date, his original one in his center, or his new date, the day of transfer.

I am not saying that you are wrong, but it is not black and white. His new seniority date is the day of transfer, and this date is after 2008.

After re-reading what the OP wrote, I agree with you.

oldngray

nowhere special
Original seniority would be for how many vacation weeks you get and retirement credit. For bidding on routes you would be back at the bottom of the list.

Like when you go from part time to full time you have 2 seniority dates.

walk it off

Uh....what?!?

So because he transferred he isn't protected by the contract? That makes no sense. The only thing he lost was his center seniority. The contract says I t in plain English that he can't be forced into a T-S schedule.

I know one thing is certain. No where in the contract does it say "if you voluntarily choose to transfer you lose all protection by the union."
Kept company seniority but lost building seniority. Basically his transfer date is his seniority date now. He can retire on time just won't have much bidding power and vacation selection.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
amateur_hour_anchorman.gif

I expect that from @Monkey Butt , but you?
SMH

ManInBrown

In the 177 when you transfer you lose all seniority EXCEPT for right to work, and where on the list you pick vacations. Route bidding, being bumped onto a different route is all your new Center seniority date. It's a good question. If I had to guess I think you're a T-S driver. Not sure what local you're in, but in the 177 I think you would be a T-S driver

MethodsMan

I'm pretty sure you will have to work Tues-Sat. I know a guy who transferred to a different center in a different city, but the same district. Didn't matter, he has to work Tues-Sat.

brownelf

I'd file a grievance and let it go to panel for a decision now. If you lose it could be something that can be negotiated into the upcoming contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We will all be working the 5 Saturdays of Peak.

Company seniority should trump but when you transfer you give that up in lieu of building seniority.

I would be pissed if I were on the bubble and ended up having to work Saturdays just because someone with 1 day more company seniority transferred in.

We will all be working the 5 Saturdays of Peak.

Company seniority should trump but when you transfer you give that up in lieu of building seniority.

I would be :censored2: if I were on the bubble and ended up having to work Saturdays just because someone with 1 day more company seniority transferred in.
That could not happen, you are not forced to work based on who is above you on seniority.