Driver Two-Tier Wage Pros & Cons??

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We earn what we do today because those who came before us did not accept a two-tier wage system when it was offered to them.

We owe those who came before us a debt of gratitude for saying "no" to a two-tier wage system. We pay it back ...by paying it forward.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is on this one. I have 26 years in, I hit PEER 80 and retirement eligibility in another 4, and the easiest thing for me to do would be to vote "yes" on a two-tier offer that keeps me at top dollar while screwing over the guy who will be getting hired to replace me. But the thing is...once I retire, I still have to be able to look at my face in the mirror every morning for the rest of my life. I wont be able to do that if I willingly crapped all over the guys who are behind me by sticking them into the lower half of a two-tier system for their entire career.

DS

Fenderbender
If they ship out every Friday and you are there around the same time why aren't they ready? I will wait about 5 minutes for someone who knows I pick up at the same time everyday that's it.

Is that logistics?
Fedex will pick up later if they ask.
I don't care anymore.

PT Car Washer

We earn what we do today because those who came before us did not accept a two-tier wage system when it was offered to them.

We owe those who came before us a debt of gratitude for saying "no" to a two-tier wage system. We pay it back ...by paying it forward.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is on this one. I have 26 years in, I hit PEER 80 and retirement eligibility in another 4, and the easiest thing for me to do would be to vote "yes" on a two-tier offer that keeps me at top dollar while screwing over the guy who will be getting hired to replace me. But the thing is...once I retire, I still have to be able to look at my face in the mirror every morning for the rest of my life. I wont be able to do that if I willingly crapped all over the guys who are behind me by sticking them into the lower half of a two-tier system for their entire career.
Very well said. How would you have voted in 1982 on the PT 2 tier wage system. I believe I already know the answer.

brown_trousers

the easiest thing for me to do would be to vote "yes" on a two-tier offer that keeps me at top dollar while screwing over the guy who will be getting hired to replace me. But the thing is...once I retire, I still have to be able to look at my face in the mirror every morning for the rest of my life. I wont be able to do that if I willingly crapped all over the guys who are behind me by sticking them into the lower half of a two-tier system for their entire career.

Amen to that! It takes a wise man to realize that money isn't everything. There's much more reward in life from being a generous person, than there is from being a selfish one.

But these days, even within our own union, we fight the selfish fight by trying to take a bigger slice of the "negotiations pie" at the expense of other teamsters. whether it be FTers vs PTers, or old vs young, retired vs employed, etc...

I say we support negotiations that help all UPSers, even those who haven't been hired yet

purplesky

UPS is making record profits so why is this even being discussed? There is NOWAY that the Teamsters would vote for a two- tier wage system. Not going to happen in 2013.:wink2:

Yes FDX ground is a threat and blah blah blah. We have been hearing this for well over a decade and UPS is still thriving. ONLY 2 players in the shipping industry exist.

The thing is guys wages at FDX ground cannot really go any lower. We are in a recovery(yes slow) and wages in this country are about due to start rising.

UPS stock is at a 52 week high. UPS AINT BROKE SO DONT TRY TO FIX IT.

Dont worry Upstate if FDX ground ever really does start nipping at UPSs ankles the TEAMSTERS COULD EASILY VOTE IN A IMMEDIATE PAYCUT OF $5 per hour TO LOWER SHIPPING RATES BELOW FDX. Fred S will be dead by then but he will be rolling in his Memphis grave. :happy-very:

bbsam

Staff member
Alot of times I ask questions just to be a smart ass. But what would UPS do with the money? Around here, the two UPS terminals haven't had their terminals expanded since I worked at one of them 20 years ago. It sounds like alot of the new vehicles UPS has bought in the past several years have been sub-par as long as keeping them for 25 years or so. Is UPS expanding? Can they afford to keep expanding the business model's infrastructure and keep the current pay structure. It's easy to see the bottom line profit margin and ignore the updates and improvements that really need to be made to remain competitive with a Ground competitor that is opening hubs and stations at a nearly exponential rate. For example, we opened our current station about 11 years ago and will be breaking ground on a new building within 2 years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is fairly obvious to me that many of you cannot see beyond the zeroes on your inflated paychecks.

Ground is expanding on an almost daily basis. When is the last time you heard of a UPS expansion other than at Worldport?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
It is fairly obvious to me that many of you cannot see beyond the zeroes on your inflated paychecks.

Ground is expanding on an almost daily basis. When is the last time you heard of a UPS expansion other than at Worldport?

Ground has only been around since the mid-1980's. UPS has had a much longer time to build its network.

Why don't you let the corporate goons in Atlanta worry about FedEx ground instead of helping them give your younger brothers the shaft? Are you willing to take an $8/hour pay cut when the company posted $5 billion in profits in 2012?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ground purchased all of the assets of RPS including their existing infrastructure.

It is scary to walk in on Monday mornings and see the 4-5 empty package cars in the line-up with none of the drivers on road going over 9.5

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Ground purchased all of the assets of RPS including their existing infrastructure.

It is scary to walk in on Monday mornings and see the 4-5 empty package cars in the line-up with none of the drivers on road going over 9.5

In my area, the local agreed to allow the company to continue using driver helpers up until either the second or third Friday (I forget which) of January because of all the unexpected post-peak volume.

You still didn't answer my question, which was: Are you willing to take an $8/hour pay cut when the company posted $5 billion in profits in 2012?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am not being asked to take an $8/hr pay cut so your question is moot. The lower tier would only apply to new FT hires as of the ratification date of the contract.

bigblu 2 you

thats not our fault,our hands are tied,we drive and deliver.management should be working the ground phase.i earn every zero on my "inflated check".maybe you dont if you feel that way you should donate some of your earnings back to ups.do you think your center manager's check or scott davis's check is inflated?my online banter wont influence you but you are the kind of guy the company loves.someone who does all the work,follows the methods,takes pride in himself and then feels undeserved.im not a phsycologist but there has to be a term for that and help available.seek such.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

under 9.5 because they are running and skipping their lunch or just that theres so much less work(you yourself have mentioned numerous times the reckless runners at your center)...i really doubt that any area or building is processing less volume than they did 10 years ago...they are just giving us much more work in tradeoff for a little bit of technology...smoke and mirrors...do you think the average driver is working more or less hours than 10 years ago...they can over dispatch all they want but if theres one day your under by 10 stops oh hell cut the route...and you wonder why some customers get sick of ups....they know whats going on, ups isnt the only company that runs a business....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
thats not our fault,our hands are tied,we drive and deliver.management should be working the ground phase.i earn every zero on my "inflated check".maybe you dont if you feel that way you should donate some of your earnings back to ups.do you think your center manager's check or scott davis's check is inflated?my online banter wont influence you but you are the kind of guy the company loves.someone who does all the work,follows the methods,takes pride in himself and then feels undeserved.im not a phsycologist but there has to be a term for that and help available.seek such.

inflated check is because of all the ot...how much ot is given just running misloads for one day nationwide???? you dont make 90-100k a year by working 45 hours a week.