Drivers- Best Shoes

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
specifically mentioned the 608's as being approved for wear with the uniform.
Gotcha. You have to choose your words more carefully because saying something is specifically approved is not the same thing as saying it is the only one approved for use with the uniform, implying no other sneaker may be worn.
It's semantics, but when you give folks a hard time, you have to expect they're going to watch your posts carefully.

9.5er

The company does not need to approve a shoe. The guidelines are a sturdy shoe with a polishable leather upper and slip resistant sole.

I wish that were true. I have been wearing a pair of black polishable nikes for a couple years now. Just had the safety guy call me out a couple weeks ago and tell me my shoes were not approved. I asked him why as they meet all the guidelines. He said because they were an athletic shoe and not a work shoe. I think it is total BS but what can I do? Back to the heavy timberlands I usually wear in the cold winter time.

I wish that were true. I have been wearing a pair of black polishable nikes for a couple years now. Just had the safety guy call me out a couple weeks ago and tell me my shoes were not approved. I asked him why as they meet all the guidelines. He said because they were an athletic shoe and not a work shoe. I think it is total BS but what can I do? Back to the heavy timberlands I usually wear in the cold winter time.
Wear your boots to.work and change them when you get to your route.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It is BS...plenty of drivers in my building wear polishable athletic shoes.

9.5er

Man up.....push the issue.....did they write you up? No? I didnt think so. When they write you up....file a harassment grievance
Hmmmm, now that you mention it. Their reasoning was my shoes were athletic shoes. Not sure I've seen anything about that in the uniform guideline. I will have to look into that.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I've been wearing the more expensive New Balance 926/927/928 for the last 10 years. They were great shoes until the last couple of years when their quality started going down. Now they aren't worth the extra $$ spent. I used to be able to get about a year's worth of wear on the job, but now I'm lucky to get 6-9 months from them before the soles start wearing through.
I had an issue with plantar fasciitis which is why I started wearing the more expensive shoes. My podiatrist made me a custom orthotic and recommended the 926's. The orthotics were expensive ($300) but lasted several years. When they wore out, someone recommended Dr. Scholl's Active Series insoles.
At $20-25/pair, they are a great alternative to the custom orthotics. Now, instead of paying over $100 for the top of the line New Balance shoes, I buy the NB 608's and pair them with the Dr. Scholl's insoles. Problem solved!

Let me add a tip I've found. These athletic shoes tend to shrink a little bit through the process of getting wet and drying out over and over again. After wearing them on a rainy day, I remove the insoles, insert a shoe tree to keep the shoe stretched to original size, and then prop them up in front of a fan to dry out completely. This keeps them from shrinking.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My advice; go to a doctor, get a medical note REQUESTING the shoe which allows you to be safe and sturdy.

The company wants to play games on the issue; they selectively decide who wears what, allow certain people to wear flip flops practically. It's a control issue on managements part...a way to harass a particular employee.

twoeddies1

My advice; go to a doctor, get a medical note REQUESTING the shoe which allows you to be safe and sturdy.

The company wants to play games on the issue; they selectively decide who wears what, allow certain people to wear flip flops practically. It's a control issue on managements part...a way to harass a particular employee.
I agree 100%.

Rainman

Its all good.
Skecher Dexters. Black athletic style with steel toes. Purchase online at Shoe Buy, Zappos or On-line shoes.com for around $75. Last time I caught them on sale at On-line shoes with a coupon and paid less than $50 so I ordered two pair. I know we aren't required to wear steel toes but they have saved my toes a few times and if I ever have to fight off a dog, it will know I was there. Usually last 6-8 months.
I'm on my 6th pair of these.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

JL 0513

Guys in my building wear a very wide range of styles which include non-polishable sneaker materials. Our sups don't concern themselves with them. There's bigger things to deal with. There's even guys who have come in with black sneakers that have large white logos on them and get away with it.

JL 0513

I find when I wear these, I acquire my signatures quicker.

Screen-Shot-2013-06-12-at-6.25.43-PM.png

Avalon

Avalon
My current shoes are on their last leg, and I'm yet to find a pair of shoes for driving that are comfortable and sturdy. It's trial and error. Have any of you found a good pair that you'd recommend? If so, can you give me a ruff price range and let me know how long they usually last you?

Doc Marten Industrial with steel toes. Comfortable and keep my feet safe. Around a hundo ($100).

9.5er

and they probably were giving you a hard time when you were off the clock?
No actually it was right after PCM. Went around to close back door of truck and there was the safety guy.
I'm going to have a close look at our appearance guidelines in the morning. I still think my nikes met the criteria but want to see what exactly is on the list before I make a stink of the situation.