Drivers forced to work Christmas day

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I worked one Christmas day, many years ago. I was asked, and since I had nothing planned until late in the day, I said yes. As I remember, I delivered 9 packages, drove almost 150 miles, was stopped by a SC trooper(he thought I had stolen the truck) and at one stop, the look on the 3 kids faces was priceless.

And down here, it's 2.5 times the hourly rate.

40andOut

Hypothetical questions.... are a waste of time.

Deal with it.... if, and when it happens.

Well, that can't happen.

And.... In the Central Region....

Those darn Union Leaders, negotiated language that requires the company to pay

double time + holiday pay.... if you work on a scheduled holiday.

-Bug-
Well not so hypothetical...All 300+ drivers in our building (in the Central Region) are "tentatively" scheduled to work Christmas day. Yes, I started this thread in the Union issues section because I wanted to know if the Union contract had any protection against this happening.

40andOut

Central region supplement, article 15, section 1, states that a regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on Christmas day.
However, section 4 states "regular seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate..."

So what's it gonna be, can they force us to work or not?
Since the day after Thanksgiving is listed as one of those "above named holidays" and drivers are frequently forced to work that holiday, it looks like Scrooge/UPS management could force us. I just want to know how much notice they have to give us. Notice that section 4 has a special exclusion for Labor day...the union has to agree to the forcing of drivers on that day. What a joke, Labor day is protected but not Christmas!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
There is no way in HELL I would ever work on Christmas day, PERIOD. Have the whole building call out sick......they can't fire every driver from one hub.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why did a thread about UPS forcing drivers to work Christmas get moved to the Union forum?
I started this thread in the Union issues section because I wanted to know if the Union contract had any protection against this happening.

I believe this answers your question, straight from the horses moth or at least the threads OP, 25plus.

The thread was not moved ... but maybe someone moved the cheese.

over9five

Staff member
I believe this answers your question, straight from the horses moth or at least the threads OP, 25plus.

The thread was not moved ... but maybe someone moved the cheese.

Ah, my apologies. How 'bout the other thread I mentioned?

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/center manager-gos-off-on-driver-in-pcm.354026/

some1else

Banned
Seeing as how i have several family memebers flying in for christmass i would need 3x for me, 1500 to cover their tickets, and at least 5000 more to pay for a weekend to vegas or something to make up for it later. Id say 10,000 would get me to come in on christmass day, wait make that 11,000 so i can give a 1000 to charity to make it up to the j-man for working his birthday

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Ah, my apologies. How 'bout the other thread I mentioned?

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/center manager-gos-off-on-driver-in-pcm.354026/
I just looked and it wasn't moved either... what's up with you challenging the mods on the public forum lately? You used to be a mod and you know from experience that's a no no...

over9five

Staff member
I just looked and it wasn't moved either... what's up with you challenging the mods on the public forum lately? You used to be a mod and you know from experience that's a no no...

Definitely not challenging anyone. Could have sworn..... Anyhow, again, my apologies.
It's Peak, long hours, tired, dain bramaged....