Drivers forced to work Christmas day

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Notice that section 4 has a special exclusion for Labor day...the union has to agree to the forcing of drivers on that day. What a joke, Labor day is protected but not Christmas!

Come on....

You really can't understand the significance.... of a Labor Union....

Making a contractual exclusion.... for Labor Day ??

-Bug-

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Even though the physical work would be harder, there's a lot to be said for being able to sleep when it's night-time.
Yep, I worked graveyard shift keying in zipcodes on a letter sorting machine for the post office when I was in my early 20's. Peak season is overwhelming there too. I felt like a zombie but the paychecks that time of year were great.
:zombismiley:

16tons

If we are forced, I would most likely volunteer, to let a younger person with kids stay home. No company loyalty, just how I feel.
Same here.

My 1st peak as a father didn't seem any different, until xmas eve service at church. It was time for her to go to the kids service and my father in law wanted to take her and she loves him. But she refused anyone but her daddy. I just about broke down realizing how hard peak was on this 2 year old little girl. So whether or not you volunteer or not, your offering has not gone unnoticed. Thank You.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The problem with both of your thinking while kindhearted, they would most likely have you all both volunteer yet still make the junior driver with young kids work. I gave up on that type of thinking years ago.
If it did not automatically release a younger driver with kids, I would not work. My experience with day after Thanksgiving, and New years eve, it does. My family is gone, and to be with them I have to wait for a week off. Im not a hero, just an adult with no plans, and can celebrate when I get home. No young ones waiting on me. I was there at one time tho, and older drivers did the same for me. Its like an unwritten rule, where I come from.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The problem with both of your thinking while kindhearted, they would most likely have you all both volunteer yet still make the junior driver with young kids work. I gave up on that type of thinking years ago.

I volunteered to work on the 26th. Yeah, I know it is a regular workday, but they posted a sign up sheet looking for 20 drivers because it should be only send agains and whatever air is in the system. I will be upset if I count 21 heads on the 26th as the only reason I signed up is so that a younger driver could spend the day with his family. My son will be snowboarding and we will get together later that night for dinner.

Johney

If it did not automatically release a younger driver with kids, I would not work. My experience with day after Thanksgiving, and New years eve, it does. My family is gone, and to be with them I have to wait for a week off. Im not a hero, just an adult with no plans, and can celebrate when I get home. No young ones waiting on me. I was there at one time tho, and older drivers did the same for me. Its like an unwritten rule, where I come from.
That wouldn't fly around here, sad but true.

Johney

I volunteered to work on the 26th. Yeah, I know it is a regular workday, but they posted a sign up sheet looking for 20 drivers because it should be only send agains and whatever air is in the system. I will be upset if I count 21 heads on the 26th as the only reason I signed up is so that a younger driver could spend the day with his family. My son will be snowboarding and we will get together later that night for dinner.
What's sad in our building is they will lay off all the junior drivers and make all the top guys work on the 26th.

The idiots who under-staffed our hub this peak season are considering forcing delivery drivers to work on Christmas day. Two questions...

1 When (at the latest) would they have to tell us that we are forced.
2 Would you work it if they forced you?.... or just not show up.
Jesus would want me to hang with Noah and Grace on this day. I know this for sure. As he's biblical so are they. Merry CHRISTmas.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Doing all this BS for the sake of a few extra gifts under the tree is ridiculous . My wife and I are ready to snap trying to satisfy people with useless gifts they won't look at 5 minutes after they are opened. Bah-Fargin-Humbug.

Scott Davis said pre peak that volume would be up. He stated that it was the shortest period between Turkey day and Christmas. He stated that they would staff with the same number of seasonal hires as 2012, and cram more work into fewer days, which "could make the network run more efficiently".

He also stated an ice storm during peak would be hard to make up. Yea, that is a great CEO. Taking a gamble on weather.

How did that cramming thing work out Scott? How about the role of the dice with the weather? How much did UPS save by hiring the same number of seasonal hires this peak as you had in 2012?

"If you get an ice storm in Louisville one of those days, it's going to be hard to make up for,"

"UPS executives said that this year's late Thanksgiving holiday, Nov. 28, will be a challenge. Cramming holiday shipments into fewer days could make the network run more efficiently, they said, but it raises the stakes if there's a disruption."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ups-more-doubles-3q-profit-121827804.html
That's our leader and these people want to smash Hoffa. Figureheads aren't worth their weight in salt. Take it to the bank.