Drivers forced to work Christmas day

browniehound

For double time + holiday pay I would certainly work Christmas day and I would work all day if I could. Its just another day to me. I only recognize it because my daughter and my mother do. I am not religious in any sense of the word and certainly don't believe a virgin woman gave birth to a boy that would grow up to be the son of God, that would suffer, feel extreme pain like a man, and die. Then rise from the grave and be God. Well, which is it? Is he God or a man who feels pain and dies? It can't be both.
I would much rather work that day at $90/hour and take another day off when things are open and I can actually do stuff.
Again, just another day to me that is way too commercialized and celebrated by people who never go to church or believe in Jesus, but hey its Christmas let's rack up insurmountable credit card debt and stuff our faces with turkeys and cookies and pumpkin pies, and drink too much alcohol. And then say "we have to, its Christmas!" like they give any thought to the religion behind it. The day really makes me sick as it magnifies the gluttony and hypocrisy of Americans.
The above does not apply to deeply religious people that exchange modest gifts and go to church every Sunday. These same people also wouldn't whine and complain that UPS didn't deliver their gifts on time because the holiday has deep meaning to them and is not based on artificial junk

Indecisi0n

For double time + holiday pay I would certainly work Christmas day and I would work all day if I could. Its just another day to me. I only recognize it because my daughter and my mother do. I am not religious in any sense of the word and certainly don't believe a virgin woman gave birth to a boy that would grow up to be the son of God, that would suffer, feel extreme pain like a man, and die. Then rise from the grave and be God. Well, which is it? Is he God or a man who feels pain and dies? It can't be both.
I would much rather work that day at $90/hour and take another day off when things are open and I can actually do stuff.
Again, just another day to me that is way too commercialized and celebrated by people who never go to church or believe in Jesus, but hey its Christmas let's rack up insurmountable credit card debt and stuff our faces with turkeys and cookies and pumpkin pies, and drink too much alcohol. And then say "we have to, its Christmas!" like they give any thought to the religion behind it. The day really makes me sick as it magnifies the gluttony and hypocrisy of Americans.
The above does not apply to deeply religious people that exchange modest gifts and go to church every Sunday. These same people also wouldn't whine and complain that UPS didn't deliver their gifts on time because the holiday has deep meaning to them and is not based on artificial junk
I love cookies

I was offended by all the " it's Christmas......a time of faith, love and generosity. Except for that :censored2: ups driver that's ruined our Christmas!!!!"

That cemented it for me that all future peaks will be treated like the other 11 months of the year. No extra days. No excessive hours. No squat.
My extra time will be spent with my family rather than the publics.

PigSkin

The idiots who under-staffed our hub this peak season are considering forcing delivery drivers to work on Christmas day. Two questions...

1 When (at the latest) would they have to tell us that we are forced.
2 Would you work it if they forced you?.... or just not show up.

You DO NOT have to work X-Mas. it;s a national holiday. You should have or did tell UPS to stuff it right?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Central region supplement, article 15, section 1, states that a regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on Christmas day.

I like the fact... that you have a copy of the contract. And read "part" of Article 15.

Read section 4.

You can't pick and choose "parts" of an article.... or "parts" of a sentence.

Most articles have to be viewed.... in their totality.

But, I appreciate that you are trying.

-Bug-

I like the fact... that you have a copy of the contract. And read "part" of Article 15.

Read section 4.

You can't pick and choose "parts" of an article.... or "parts" of a sentence.

Most articles have to be viewed.... in their totality.

But, I appreciate that you are trying.

-Bug-

Section 1 very clearly states we can't be forced to work the 8 named holidays.
Section 4 states that we get double pay if forced to work.
Apparently UPS and the union pick and choose which parts of the contract they choose to ignore. Why is section 1, paragraph 1 even in there?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Section 1 very clearly states we can't be forced to work the 8 named holidays.
Section 4 states that we get double pay if forced to work.
Apparently UPS and the union pick and choose which parts of the contract they choose to ignore. Why is section 1, paragraph 1 even in there?
We can't be forced to work to deliver or forward any ground parcels. Air is a different animal. Air rider supercedes the rest of the contract.