Drivers who pass away shortly after retirement

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would probably be lazy for about a half of a year. Let my body heal up, then maybe get a part time job. Give me a little beer money and keep the wife from trying to kill me
Thats my plan. Sit out the winter in front of a fire, let it snow, let it snow. Then round about march april, get a new job.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Most people before they retire have their financials in order but really don't have a plan on what they are going to do after they retire. You'll hear answers like they will go hunting and fishing and travel in the RV or visit relatives. Then what? How long does all that take? a couple years? then what ?

these are the people who die within 5 years.

Before you retire , you have to spend as much time thinking about what you are going to do as with your financials. You have to have several purposes.

Along with hunting , fishing, travelling , I suggest you develop a couple hobbies ( before retiring ) and maybe start a part time business with one of them, Volunteer. There are dozens of ways to volunteer in your community. We help with the scouts, swimming lessons at the pool, and sometimes with senior services and hospice.

We have been retired only a little over a year and are so busy I can't believe it. All of it was choices we made that are fun and rewarding . We have plenty of time for ourselves with day trips with the dogs , visiting friends, or helping other people with all kinds of things. We had to make a rule several months ago that we would only do our volunteering work or other such things until lunch time and then the rest of the day would be for us.

Like anything else , a successful and long retirement takes planning.

Foamer Pyle

Many people die within a few years after retiring. If you don't have a hobby or something to occupy your time, life can be very difficult to adjust to
I will take my chances. Going from having no time to do anything, to being able to enjoy life without the pressure of UPS up you butt every day.

WorknLateHuh

the job itself if long long hours, fast paced ball busting work that is stressful, even hostile at times

I don't know where you drive, but you really need to get on some rural routes. No stress, no traffic. It feels like you're not even working. It's like night and day. Of course there is no getting around the long days

I feel bad for drivers that are unable to transfer out of centers without losing seniority