Drivers who pass away shortly after retirement

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Purpose
Structure
Routine

These three things that a person loses when they retire from UPS or any job. For a man, dying within 2 years of retirement is common, regardless of job.

If you replace these three things, your life will be better.

Failing to do so causes many people to go into a depression and stress is one of the major side-effects of depression.
Plain and simple ... stress kills specially causing many to have heart attacks.
This usually happens within 2 years of retirement.

I am busier and doing a lot of things I could not during employment.
Travels, music festivals and photography workshops keep me enthused.
I am doing something with photography daily.
Brown Cafe helps out too.

This is a book I bought when I turned 55 and started thinking seriously about retirement.

View attachment 97813

This is actually your best advice yet.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
already read it , and the Joy of Not Working by the same author
I also read both books.

The book that made a big impression on me that I read quite awhile ago was "Your Money or Your Life". that was an eye opener . Makes you think about the amount of life it takes for obtaining material things. In the big picture some things are just not worth the time from your life to buy them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also read both books.

The book that made a big impression on me that I read quite awhile ago was "Your Money or Your Life". that was an eye opener . Makes you think about the amount of life it takes for obtaining material things. In the big picture some things are just not worth the time from your life to buy them.

When my kids were young and wanted my help in making a major purchase I would ask them how long it would take Dad to work to earn the money.

LOL I'm an off the street hire and I don't feel that way at all. In fact it makes me mad when all you insiders tell us outsiders we can't complain about this job because we didn't work inside first....it's not my fault you guys chose to work inside for basically minimum wage for 8 years trying to drive. Stop acting like we won the lottery getting hired off the street. Plus the insiders are the ones who are the biggest butt kissers because they had to wait so long so they don't want to screw it up and get fired. A driver is a driver.
In my experience, 1 in 10 off the street hires are worthy of making pre-seniority. I have no idea how the other 9 make it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That's how I got this job superintendent went to
Penn State with my son both have turf management degrees

That's my neck of the woods.

My neighbor's son graduated from PSU in turf management. Was working at a course near Corning when he passed away in July.

His dad gave me his Ping Cushin putter.

Box Ox

.it's not my fault you guys chose to work inside for basically minimum wage for 8 years trying to drive. Stop acting like we won the lottery getting hired off the street. Plus the insiders are the ones who are the biggest butt kissers because they had to wait so long so they don't want to screw it up and get fired.

Any long time part timer wanting to drive will tell you that you did win the lottery. You got lucky.

And that butt kissing is actually inversely proportional to time spent dealing with company BS at 3am as the years go by.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
LOL I'm an off the street hire and I don't feel that way at all. In fact it makes me mad when all you insiders tell us outsiders we can't complain about this job because we didn't work inside first....it's not my fault you guys chose to work inside for basically minimum wage for 8 years trying to drive. Stop acting like we won the lottery getting hired off the street. Plus the insiders are the ones who are the biggest butt kissers because they had to wait so long so they don't want to screw it up and get fired. A driver is a driver.
Lmao...way off base on most of this ...and yes you did win the lottery...should be 25 to 1 hiring ratio...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Any long time part timer wanting to drive will tell you that you did win the lottery. You got lucky.

And that butt kissing is actually inversely proportional to time spent dealing with company BS at 3am as the years go by.
Yep I've seen a few off the street guys fired... Most for stealing packages or trying to game the system...

clean hairy

My Dad retired 30+ years ago, he joined civic organizations, and did volunteer work as well.
He mentioned many times how he spent more time working retired, then when he was working!
Of course, there was time for trips to visit Relatives, and to go visit destinations they had on their list to visit.

ITwannabe

In my experience, 1 in 10 off the street hires are worthy of making pre-seniority. I have no idea how the other 9 make it.
1 in 10 is a lie....first of all only one in six drivers are hired off the street....that means your center would have hired 60 plus people within your career....If your gonna lie at lest make it believable....