DRIVING A PACKAGE CAR UP TO 63HRS A WEEK?!

Chilly Willie

I am a norcal pkg car driver. We have always been told that we can 'NEVER" work past 14HRS in a workday. MGMT forced all drivers to work Saturday because of heavy volume. We all came in to work the available hrs that we had available only to find out that MGMT had added our break time from the week to our available hours! Now we are being told that we can work/drive up to 63hrs a week! Even though DOT states that you can only be on the clock for a max of 14hrs. That includes any time on the clock including all brks and any lunches taken. Is this being told to any other centers? I notified the mgmt team that I was not going to violate the 60hr rule. Told them that if they instructed me to violate, I would so I wouldn't lose my job. Told them that I would grieve it. They talked about it and then said I could go home.

Chilly Willie

What really sucks is they are telling drivers to do preaload work if they want the 8 hour guarantee. But hey 1/4 the drivers in my center walked did not show for day six.

moldsporh

You can't work past 60 hrs in a 7 day period. Meaning the 7 days are rolling, as one day approaches, one day falls off the end. Weekends doesn't matter, it's 7 consecutive days. They can be granted an extension to work 70 hrs in a 8 day period.

If you worked over 60 hrs within that 7 day period then that's a problem the way I understand it. You have also signed papers about the hours of service I'm sure.

You can't drive over 14 hrs but you can be on the clock over 14 hrs. You need 10 hours off before you punch in.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You can't work drive past 60 hrs in a 7 day period. Meaning the 7 days are rolling, as one day approaches, one day falls off the end. Weekends doesn't matter, it's 7 consecutive days. They can be granted an extension to work 70 hrs in a 8 day period.

If you worked drove over 60 hrs within that 7 day period then that's a problem the way I understand it. You have also signed papers about the hours of service I'm sure.

You can't drive over 14 13 hrs but you can be on the clock over 14 hrs. You need 10 hours off before you punch in drive.
ftfy
Also you don't get granted an extension to work 70/8, you're either on a 60/7 or a 70/8 period. Under certain conditions (bad weather, etc) you can be granted a 2 hour extension to drive past 13 hours but you can't use that every day, I think it's once a week but I might be wrong about that.

BrownThunder

I'm in NorCal too, they did us dirty. They didn't make me drive as I only had about 30min left and the other guy had 10hrs.

Pays to keep track of your time. Men lie women lie numbers dont

10 point

Very few package cars are under 10,000 GVW but even then you are still driving a commercial vehicle.
Depending on the freight (over 500# of combined hazmats, etc).

Agreed that few fit that weight class but the vans do.

10,000#s gvw is the bottom line weight limit on ANY vehicle including 1 ton vehicles pulling race trailers with a combined wgt of 5 tons or more.

Overzealous DOT guys and state patrol folks have nailed dome of my friends on the weekend telling them they must get a DOT # on their vehicle.

UPS4Life

You can't drive over 14 hrs but you can be on the clock over 14 hrs. You need 10 hours off before you punch in.
False, you can't drive more than 11 hours and work from punch in to punch out more than 14 regardless of breaks. I think you understand it just wanted to clarify the 11 hr drive and you can extend your drive time OR your 14 once a week 2 hours but it's for "unforeseen" circumstances and only to get back.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You can't work past 60 hrs in a 7 day period. Meaning the 7 days are rolling, as one day approaches, one day falls off the end. Weekends doesn't matter, it's 7 consecutive days. They can be granted an extension to work 70 hrs in a 8 day period.

If you worked over 60 hrs within that 7 day period then that's a problem the way I understand it. You have also signed papers about the hours of service I'm sure.

Jesus people this is not hard stuff is it?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
False, you can't drive more than 11 hours and work from punch in to punch out more than 14 regardless of breaks. I think you understand it just wanted to clarify the 11 hr drive and you can extend your drive time OR your 14 once a week 2 hours but it's for "unforeseen" circumstances and only to get back.

Here we go again.

Yes, you cannot drive more than 11 hours, but you can work more than 14 hours. You just cannot drive after working 14 hours including meals and breaks.

So you can return to UPS property right at 14 hours and still fuel, unload airs, park package car, do your check-in, etc. and end up working more than 14 hours.

You then need 10 hours off before you can drive again.

542thruNthru

You cannot drive more than 11 hrs unless it's in a electric car or hybrid.

If you're going to go over 60hrs for the week. Stop the car and get out for 15min. This resets you're time. You can now drive for another 60 hrs.

Remember these rules and you'll be just fine.

Jk ;)

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
With that logic your over allowed number matters.
image.jpg