drug tests in orlando

rocket88

As long as UPS pays for the test, then I am OK with it. The looney toon argument that UPS management is using Homeland Security as an excuse to invade ones privacy boogles my mind. If you are riding dirty, you sorry ass should be busted.

Satellitedriver,
You say my response is a "lonney toon" argument. Please explain and please be SPECIFIC. It was never my intention to "boggle" your mind. Maybe I can help clear it up. Remember be specific.

L

lawyer joe

It is my understanding that u guys work under a very specific contract. This is an invasion of privacy.......period//////////// If u are observed impaired at work then THAT is a another story all together.

helenofcalifornia

There were would be far less family violence if the husbands smoked weed instead of drinking alcohol. No stoner wants to come home and beat his wife, but a damn drunk is unpredictable. I'll take a stoner any day over a drunk. And if this was the perfect world there would be no need of any "drug" that altered your reality. But it's not.

ncrtscisme

There were would be far less family violence if the husbands smoked weed instead of drinking alcohol. No stoner wants to come home and beat his wife, but a damn drunk is unpredictable. I'll take a stoner any day over a drunk. And if this was the perfect world there would be no need of any "drug" that altered your reality. But it's not.

I agree...and I agree with "lawyer joe", only if you are observed to be impaired should talk of a drug test happen.

tieguy

Banned
It's my understanding that eleven states have decriminalized pot.
They must be really stupid states.......what ya think, Tie?

probably a good idea to decrimanalize.

But I think your above comment about an emergency room doctor claiming there are no ill affects of pot a little naive. It like alcohol is fine if used in the privacy of your home. But smoke a joint and drive and trouble can and does happen.

tieguy

Banned
It is my understanding that u guys work under a very specific contract. This is an invasion of privacy.......period//////////// If u are observed impaired at work then THAT is a another story all together.

We are trained to observe.

your other quote is vague but seems to indicate that you think a drug screening would be an invasion of privacy. If homeland security requires a drug screening then the contract would support it.

canon

Some of the most intelligent people I've ever known have been pot smokers

Too funny. I'd hate to see the ones you don't consider intelligent. I remember blazing up in highschool then trying to figure out the origins of the universe.

Unfortunately, the decisions we make reflect our intelligence. My wife's friend is about to finish law school and she drives drunk every weekend. You hear about doctors going to prison for handing out fake prescriptions every so often. Look at the top executives from Enron: booksmart sure... but intelligent? The ability to regurgitate answers on a test to obtain a degree somehow doesn't look so prestigeous when they follow it up with a criminal record.

As much as I used to want to fire one up every now and then, there came a point in my life where I began to understand how a drug conviction might impact the life I've worked so hard to build. The same for drunken bar fights (my favorite when i was in the Army). Acid is out now too. Dumb me, I won't even buy liquor or smokes for minors like grownups used to do for me when I was their age.

No wonder my favorite comedy show on TV is Cops. "Bew Hew, don't arrest me for this weed, I gotz kids at home and my boss will fire me."

If they tested at my center (for whatever reason), I know of 4 people that would be facing the unemployment line. Two of them have kids about to need money for college. They all have mortgages, car payments, plans for retirement etc. One guy keeps a cooler in his car and polishes off a six pack every single day on his drive home. He's constantly telling me about being scared because a cop got behind him. Dummy, wait 'til you get home.

Sometimes the consequences are just too high (pardon the pun) to risk the "fun", but I guess we all value different things. The smartest people I know don't even have a degree. But what do I know? I'm sober.

Sorry if I killed anyone's buzz... blaze up! You'll probably never get caught. :thumbup1:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
probably a good idea to decrimanalize.

But I think your above comment about an emergency room doctor claiming there are no ill affects of pot a little naive. It like alcohol is fine if used in the privacy of your home. But smoke a joint and drive and trouble can and does happen.

Put me on the list of those in favor of decriminalization. Actually Tie, what the ER Doctor said (according to Trick) was that he had never seen a patient admitted for potsmoking or the results thereof, which is a bit different than claiming that pot smoking has no ill effects.

I was curious about that though so I did a little research, and from what I could find the incidence of "stoned driving" accidents/fatalities is so statistically insignificant that the NHTSA doesn't even track it. Alcohol, however, was a factor in 16,972 traffic fatalites in 2005, the last year for which the stats are available. That accounts for 39% of all traffic related deaths. I did find reference to another study that purported to show that narcotics (it wasn't drug specific) were invloved in 18% of all fatal traffic accidents, but in almost every one of those cases alcohol was a factor as well.

Based on that it seems fairly plausible that an ER doctor could go 25 years without seeing anyone admitted to the ER specifically for smoking pot, especially when you consider that the health problems inherent with marijuana use (lung cancer, short term memory loss) aren't things you typically see in the ER.

A

Anonymous xupser

If they tested at my center (for whatever reason), I know of 4 people that would be facing the unemployment line. Two of them have kids about to need money for college. They all have mortgages, car payments, plans for retirement etc.

According to the contract you are entitled to got to rehab, which is not quite the unemployment line

raceanoncr

Yeah, it's funny how a one-line post can send alot of people into a frenzy. Here's something else that'll send most of you into an uncontrolled fit also!

We, too, have seen rules disguised as "Homeland Security" or "TSA" or "DOT", when, in fact it was another attempt by an IE (do they still call em that?) person who had too much time on their hands trying to justify their position. My take?

Do what they say! Simple! I don't care what it's labled! Whatever new rule is instituted makes me more $! Drugs? Boy, if my life, or my JOB, depended on THIS, then shoot me NOW!

Drug testing? It's on the clock, ain't it? Duh! $$$. The only problem I got is that it's at the first of my day. I get up right before start time, shower, let the little boy dribble til he's MT, drive 7 min to the hub, start with a min to spare, then have to PEE??? Ain't got nuttin to hide, just can't do it when I just git up and don't drink.

Bottom line-do what's right! Do what's safe! Do what'll bring you home to your family every day or night! And...take the attitude one of our recent retirees just took...NOW I CAN HAVE A JOINT! Notice, I said, RETIREES! Hopefully off the road for good.

tieguy

Banned
Put me on the list of those in favor of decriminalization. Actually Tie, what the ER Doctor said (according to Trick) was that he had never seen a patient admitted for potsmoking or the results thereof, which is a bit different than claiming that pot smoking has no ill effects.

Quite a stretch. I would think the emergency room would see people who got high and either had a car accident or had an inhome accident of some type.

I was curious about that though so I did a little research, and from what I could find the incidence of "stoned driving" accidents/fatalities is so statistically insignificant that the NHTSA doesn't even track it. Alcohol, however, was a factor in 16,972 traffic fatalites in 2005, the last year for which the stats are available. That accounts for 39% of all traffic related deaths. I did find reference to another study that purported to show that narcotics (it wasn't drug specific) were invloved in 18% of all fatal traffic accidents, but in almost every one of those cases alcohol was a factor as well.

not much to either survey since Alcohol is legal. A true comparison would be to have both legal and see which one does the most damage.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
not much to either survey since Alcohol is legal. A true comparison would be to have both legal and see which one does the most damage.

Well, as far as I know legality doesn't factor into post accident testing as it generally does not include a voluntary survey. If you're alive, they test you for alcohol and drugs, and if you're dead they perform an autopsy to determine what was in your system.

LKLND3380

I'm trying to see the connection here. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Miami probably has a lot of illegal alien workers.........so what's that got to do with drug testing airport workers?

If that's the case then maybe "Homeland Security" needs to drug test the entire state of Texas. :laugh:

I think the connection is.... If they are not doing backgrounds then that means a lot of other things are not being done... So now everything is being done by the book... From A to Z

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Our drivers that work the Atlanta Airport don't have to do Drug Screenings, although they do have to go and get a special clearance and special ID Badge to go in Restricted Areas. We also are allowed to only drive certain Package Cars there, the license plates are checked. And yes, this is Dept. of Homeland Security requirements. They did catch some illegal immigrants doing sheetrock work a few months ago, the construction contractor got in trouble for not doing proper background checks.

over9five

Staff member
"According to the contract you are entitled to got to rehab,"

Yes, if you go to the company and tell them you have a problem, NOT after you get caught at a drug test.