Dues and initiation fees

oldngray

nowhere special
I was gonna say.
I get a new card sent to me every quarter or so.
Why? Once you get a union card it is good for as long as you keep paying dues. If you quit and stop paying dues get a withdrawal card so you won't need to pay initiation fees again and won't owe back dues if you ever work a Teamster job again.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Hello, I'm new here. Anyways I just started at UPS at the end of May. The last 3 of my 4 paychecks have had both initiation fee and union dues taken out. Does anyone know if thats normal? Thought is was only supposed to be taken out once a month.
@CatZehm82: Each Local decides how they handle it. My Local deducts from the first 4 paychecks each month, when there's a 5th paycheck, no deduction. Also in my Local, all deductions are listed under "dues"-no separate listing for the initiation fee or the special assessment (Local strike fund).

Yolo

In my building the union stewards introduce themselves to all the new hires and exchange phone numbers. And explain how dues and initiation fees are handled. I think this actually helps prevent turnover.

Some buildings a new hire comes in gets screamed at by a hs dropout pt sup then gets screamed at by a driver. Then gets his check for $79 and says eff that I'm out.