DUI

City Driver

i know this will turn into a klein slamfest but what would happen if you or a driver at your barn got a DUI, off the clock in there personal vehicle?

would they be terminated? i ask cuz we had a driver get a DUI about a week ago and he has to work the dock for a year

i was surprised they didnt even try to fire him

klein

Für Meno :)
i know this will turn into a klein slamfest but what would happen if you or a driver at your barn got a DUI, off the clock in there personal vehicle?

would they be terminated? i ask cuz we had a driver get a DUI about a week ago and he has to work the dock for a year

It's in the contract, they can't fire you for losing your licence.

City Driver

"its in the contract"

that dont mean anything......management does things every single day that go against the contract and get away with it

UPSGUY72

They can't fire you. But if you don't have a drivers license you can't drive. We had an On Road SUP in are building get a DUI and they moved him to an inside SUP job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a sales lead ride with the DM last week and he told me that he has 13 drivers working on the inside in Syracuse because they all got DWIs. I then asked him what happens if they get another one and he said that they would be terminated.

bluehdmc

It seems after the 1st one, if and when you lose your license you can work inside. I think for a year. The one driver I know it happened to also went to rehab and all that stuff. Don't know if he went back to driving, he's currently listed as oos, (out of service).
City Driver, don't you work for UPS Freight? Maybe the rules are different?

Billy

Well, one will have to go through the SAP program immediately following being charged ( not convicted )with DWI. Once the program is complete then that driver could return to driving...assuming of coarse that they were issued a restricted license. While in the SAP program they will be randomly tested for drugs, and alcohol. If they are found to be dirty of either during that time they will be terminated. If they are ever again charged ( not convicted ) they will be terminated as well.

I take issue with the whole charged with. I feel that ones constitutional rights of a fair trial should be upheld in the workplace as well.

A

anonymous6

"its in the contract"

that dont mean anything......management does things every single day that go against the contract and get away with it

so why are are asking if you already know.?

In CA if you get a DUI you lose your license for one year. We have had several drivers lose their licence and they were able to work in the hub for a year.

M

Mike23

We had a driver with a DUI a year ago, he's finally back on road. Essentially he didn't get a 'driver' raise through it but keeps his driver seniority. I think that's what they worked out at least...Either way, DUI, in my opinion = get rid of the idiot before he kills anyone

DS

Fenderbender
what is an on road sup???? i hear it all the time, we dont have those
The one that you report to when you have a problem.Same as an on car sup.Usually one that trained you.The one that sits beside you on your annual safety ride.The one that approves or dissaproves your optionals.
The one that hands you a letter of reprimand for having a late air.The guy that questions why you ran 2 1/2 hours overallowed.The one that first begs with you then threatens you about the consequences when you call in sick.THAT GUY.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The one that you report to when you have a problem.Same as an on car sup.Usually one that trained you.The one that sits beside you on your annual safety ride.The one that approves or dissaproves your optionals.
The one that hands you a letter of reprimand for having a late air.The guy that questions why you ran 2 1/2 hours overallowed.The one that first begs with you then threatens you about the consequences when you call in sick.THAT GUY.
The one that says you are getting a warning letter for losing a COD. :sick:

We had a driver with a DUI a year ago, he's finally back on road. Essentially he didn't get a 'driver' raise through it but keeps his driver seniority. I think that's what they worked out at least...Either way, DUI, in my opinion = get rid of the idiot before he kills anyone

Despite having my life affected by a drunk driver I will point out that your statement is painted with a broad brush. For us (CDL) the cutoff is .04,.08 for the rest of you. Just because someone hits an .04/.08 it does not make them a "killer". You`d be surprised at how little alcohol it takes to push some of us over that number. That being said should we be more responsible,especially to ourselves,to make sure we aren`t put in a position to even have to worry about being on the road with any alcohol in our system,absolutely. I never drink off my property unless someone else is driving,no exceptions. One of our guys who makes that makes an error in judgement one time should not lose his job provided he follows through on the rehab requirements. Twice,thats a different story. That show a history of irresponsibility.

I also agree with Billy on being charged versus convicted. One can be charged with suspicion of DUI and never have a drop of alcohol or drugs. On the flip side I also recognize how the company cannot afford to have somone on the road until the matter is resolved.