Dump Keter Now!

tourists24

Ok, Im feeling pretty dumb right now. Maybe Im not paying attention or it just hasnt affected me at my center. Exactly what IS a Keter audit, and what is the penalty for not passing?

Dragontongue

P/T Tr Sup 66062
It's just a matter of the company trying to cut medical expenses, which are immense. Preventing one back injury would probably justify the cost.

In my hub they use the threat of Keter coming way more than they actually show, and even then I never see them when they do. Like everyone else, I simply memorize the required information, unlike many I try to use the methods all the time, and just go about my work. Knowing & using prescribed safe work methods, I could care less if or when they ever show.

As for the company paying them; you can rest assured that there would be more injuries, and more cost to the company, if there were not audits by someone outside the company.

LKLND3380

Ok, Im feeling pretty dumb right now. Maybe Im not paying attention or it just hasnt affected me at my center. Exactly what IS a Keter audit, and what is the penalty for not passing?

Ketar is an indipendent (non UPS) company that comes in to do a safety check of the employees and building.

They tend to hit new hires (three months or less) asking what do you do if you see a leaking package, how do you load an over 70, where is the safety zone, etc... They will ask a few seasoned employees as well...

The audit is over a two day span looking at work areas as well... Blocked egress issues, strap (hub snakes), drivers wearing set belts, etc...

All those safety quizz, video are to prep you to know how to stop a belt and when you can lockout equipment...

But remember when Ketar is not around...
Production First and Safety Second.
Maybe Get off the clock Second and Safety Third...

LKLND3380

In my hub they use the threat of Keter coming way more than they actually show, and even then I never see them when they do. Like everyone else, I simply memorize the required information, unlike many I try to use the methods all the time, and just go about my work. Knowing & using prescribed safe work methods, I could care less if or when they ever show.

As for the company paying them; you can rest assured that there would be more injuries, and more cost to the company, if there were not audits by someone outside the company.

UPS knows when Ketar will be in their area but not which facillity will be audited so you can have 50 buildings on alert and Ketar hits one and then goes to another area out of that area... For example Ketar may be in Florida and hit Miami so all the buildings in the state are on alert two days later they may hit Tampa OR be in Georgia hitting Savannah. Jacksonville Orlando and Daytona may not see Ketar for six months...

Our center went a year without a Ketar audit but when they came we knew the answers plus bonus qusetions. I think our building scored the highest on the Ketar audit in the southeast region this past spring. Plus we were under plan for DART injuries...

VTBrown

Am I the only one who fires back that if you want me to memorize crap word for word....you better start paying us study time?

Let's see:

240+ Methods to actually do our job
5 Seeing Habits
10 Point commentary
Habits
Lifting and lowering
Slips and Falls

Anything I'm missing?

bad company

semi-pro
Am I the only one who fires back that if you want me to memorize crap word for word....you better start paying us study time?

Let's see:

5 Seeing Habits
10 Point commentary
Habits
Lifting and lowering
Slips and Falls

Anything I'm missing?

Yes you are....there are 340 methods, not 240. Proper backing?

Fishbulb

Let's see:

5 Seeing Habits
10 Point commentary
Habits
Lifting and lowering
Slips and Falls

Anything I'm missing?

My whole center is like that & I completely agree. I'm not gonna spend my free time or lunch time memorizing this information when it's work related. I realize 90% of it is common sense that most people should be able to answer without even reading the info 1st but I'm not gonna do work related things unless I'm getting paid. Our center manager will randomly pull a few of us into the office weekly to ask us some Ketter/safety questions. I tell him "Sure, lemme just punch in first."

happyboy

The next time i see katar around the center i think i will ask them, what do you think about drivers working off the clock, drivers skipping their lunch, and drivers running while making deliveries.

upsdude

Let's see:

5 Seeing Habits
10 Point commentary
Habits
Lifting and lowering
Slips and Falls

Anything I'm missing?

PCM last week, center manager says, "Even your union says you have to know the safety phrases word for word". If you don't know them you will not be allowed to work". Our Teamster BA was standing behind me, I turned around and looked at him. He told me "you're paid to know them so you have to". I asked him to check my payroll records and show me when I was paid to "study" all the stuff. I do recall being told to "study" at home. I also told him that if I'm expected by the union to work off the clock, I'll get out of the union and let them work for me for free.

Maybe I'll get lucky and fail the test in December!:thumbup1:

LKLND3380

Let's see:

5 Seeing Habits
10 Point commentary
Habits
Lifting and lowering
Slips and Falls

Anything I'm missing?

The guys in the unload were coming in 30 minutes early to study for a month or two...

I think the unload runs 6 on 6 so at 30 minutes a day that is 6 hours a day and 30 labor hours a week...

LKLND3380

My whole center is like that & I completely agree. I'm not gonna spend my free time or lunch time memorizing this information when it's work related. I realize 90% of it is common sense that most people should be able to answer without even reading the info 1st but I'm not gonna do work related things unless I'm getting paid. Our center manager will randomly pull a few of us into the office weekly to ask us some Ketter/safety questions. I tell him "Sure, lemme just punch in first."

The Center Manager will say memorizing this information is a "condition of employment..."

If you focus on one question for each day and remind yourself through out the day, after a year you will know more than the center manager...