Duplicate Barcodes

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I Deliver One and RTS the other I just don't sheet it. I service cross it and write duplicate tracking number RTS and give it to the clerk when I get back.

I've RTS 50 lbs boxes and 1 lbs bags that had duplicate labels. My SUP said you can input the shipper number and then the weight in the next three spots or RTS. I RTS them rhat way I know UPS will be getting paid and the shipper might think twice next time.

Why? Just sheet the second one as dup or just leave it with the other one without sheeting it.

UPSGUY72

Why? Just sheet the second one as dup or just leave it with the other one without sheeting it.

Why because when it gets RTS I know UPS is going to get paid for it. When it gets shipped again from the shipper. IF you put DUP in the board UPS most likely isn't going to charge them since most of the billing is done when the items is shipped not delivered. The only time I know a charge is add to a customers account is when I do a address change and that has a specific function in the board for it. There isn't one for duplicate labels. The dup stops function could have met you just missed a package and had to go back to the stop NOT that there was two labels.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been told that sheeting the second one as dup shows that there were two packages with the same 1Z and that the shipper will be charged accordingly through our closed loop billing system.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Type in the account number and last 3 digits and write DUP in the remarks.

Bottom line, It isn't our money and it's already gotten to the destination.
If it was a shipping mistake, doing the above is more than enough to trace the delivery.
Why create more work and RTS it back to the system (which costs us more money DUH !!)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here's another problem---people using the courtesy return label (not a shipping label), placing it over their name and address and trying to send it back without having to pay for it. Do you guys:

1. Take it without question.

2. Refuse to accept it.

I normally choose #2.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Here's another problem---people using the courtesy return label (not a shipping label), placing it over their name and address and trying to send it back without having to pay for it. Do you guys:

2. Refuse to accept it.

I normally choose #2.
I refuse to take it while explaining it isn't a proper shipping label.

Usually I find these in drop boxes so I'll bring it into the office and have the OMS call and have them pay for proper shipping. You ain't fooling Heff , LOL ;)

clean hairy

A person pays to ship one box, and makes a copy of the label to ship a second box without paying for it. That WOULD be stealing, yes?
Walk into the grocery store, pay for one steak and walk out with 2.
See what happens.
So why should these folks get a pass on this?
I have seen this myself.
"I sent 2 boxes, and only one was delivered"
Me: "what are the tracking #'s?"
Them "here you go" (only 1 # provided)
Me: "it shows delivered" (checking on the ups website.) If you have a second tracking # I can check it"
Then: No, I have just this one, what about the other?"
Me "call the 800 and talk to them"

This IS when I am off the clock or at the bank, or trying to conduct other personal business, but we ARE the face of UPS, so I try to help for a few moments.

cheeks

Like the poster earlier, i've asked how to handle this and not gotten a good answer. I've taken to scanning first one then inputting shipper # and weight for the second one in hopes that someone will catch on and bill the shipper for the second one. But I like the RTS the duplicate and make them pay for it. But worldship history will let you print duplicate labels and could just reprint the same one again and send it back out. SMH.

Last edited:

joeboodog

good people drink good beer

2. Refuse to accept it.

I normally choose #2.
If it doesn't have a proper UPS shipping label, I don't pick it up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If it doesn't have a proper UPS shipping label, I don't pick it up.

The one that I referring to was hard to tell at first glance. The consignee has placed the courtesy label perfectly over the address label so if I had not been paying attention I would have accepted it and the consignee would have gotten a freebie.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hope you're kidding. "Whether it is a piece of candy or an iPhone it is still stealing."

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/heres-an-odd-firing-story.359115/page-2#ixzz3L7ecTN1g

Your link does not apply to this scenario.

We are talking about a consignee who orders one item and due to a shipping error receives two of the same item. This would be the same as a consignee who receives a package clearly addressed to them that they did not order. While the right thing to do would be to refuse the duplicate or the unordered item, the consignee would be well with their rights to keep them without fear of reprisal.

Yes, I was kidding.

porkwagon

Your link does not apply to this scenario.

We are talking about a consignee who orders one item and due to a shipping error receives two of the same item. This would be the same as a consignee who receives a package clearly addressed to them that they did not order. While the right thing to do would be to refuse the duplicate or the unordered item, the consignee would be well with their rights to keep them without fear of reprisal.

Yes, I was kidding.
Good! I knew it!

Johney

2. Refuse to accept it.

I normally choose #2.
I take it and peal off the courtesy label.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good! I knew it!

I will admit, however, I do keep my mouth shut when I receive an unexpected discount at a big box retailer.

I bought a computer printer at Service Merchandise (that tells you how old I am), which was supposed to cost $249, but rang up at $169. I swiped my credit card and went on my way.