Edison NJ

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yep give em hell. And don't come here crying if they decide to close your building down.

...and go where?
Yea sure, the Teamsters are going to run UPS out of the New Jersey market.
Or are you alleging that they will commute the routes out of neighboring locals?
Wow Tie, that's all you could come up with?
Your bad day went from the "fantasy football field" to the message board.

island1fox

Keeping it in house didn't seem to be getting the Union anywhere.
The companies filibuster ways had the union handcuffed.
Anybody who understands the arbitration process vs. panel system would know that the path they were headed down would put the Union in a financial hardship.
The companies pockets are deep and long reaching.
It has always been apparent to me that the company always tests a new system by picking one or several centers, using them as guinea pigs.
This may be exactly what's happening here rather than an advanced state of "dysfunction".
Either way, desperate times call for desperate measures.
Give 'em hell Local 177, piss all over them.

Bubblehead '
You spoke about being old enough to earn respect."Piss all over them" Not saying you are because I do not know you ---but you sound like a typical low-life.Sure sounds like a great way to settle disputes ????

As for the plane banner and the Turnpike Billboard----People have stated that 177 has "balls" (NOT MY WORD) I would rather be represented by union business people with brains.
Lets see the add campaign will:
1. Encourage customers to use other carriers even the non union ones for fear of labor disputes or walkouts and also the billboard shows customers packages dropping all over the place --Damages ?? Volume continues to erode --more layoff and union jobs lost --brilliant.
2. Scare management ?? doubt it --behind closed doors you can hear the sound of laughter---only will accomplish hourlys being caught in the crossfire --no one will be leanient !!! But of course we all do our jobs perfectly ---never need a break !!
3. Accomplish nothing positive for union nor company.
4. For some "immature " management people --they see it as a badge of honor.

If we can be honest ---if company is stonewalling the union particularly on safety issues ---one call to OSHA --without involving the public and possible loss of more union jobs --you would see solutions. Hard for me to see with such high unemployment, an economy in total freefall --union companies for the past generation disappearing from the face of the earth and anyone --fron either "side" think this is a good thing.

If there is a real problem ? Is this union action part of the real solution ?
Look in the mirror --no matter what "side" you are on ---get away from the rhetoric ---if the person you see in the mirror thinks this unions action is part of the solution ---there is nothing more to say !!!:dissapointed:

island1fox

...and go where?
Or are you alleging that they will commute the routes out of neighboring locals?

Bubblehead,
I know you believe things are so far fetched.
Not saying it will --but if volume levels drop low enough because of customers decisions ---edison could easily be closed --consolidate feeder runs --less hub expense --use Meadowlands,Tinton falls etc ----Company has closed many buildings before --I personally hope they never have to again ----I want to see Union JOBS protected and I want them to grow ---this action is opposite to those goals !

tieguy

Banned
...and go where?

you have a lot of buildings in Jersey. Metro Philly the district below it has five hubs sitting right there. Anything is possible. Volume is down which means all those hubs around edinj have plenty of capacity.

I would not want to be the BA in that local after pissing off the region manager and the CEO.

Hopefully those two managers will laugh about it and nothing will happen. time will tell.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubblehead,
I know you believe things are so far fetched.
Not saying it will --but if volume levels drop low enough because of customers decisions ---edison could easily be closed --consolidate feeder runs --less hub expense --use Meadowlands,Tinton falls etc ----Company has closed many buildings before --I personally hope they never have to again ----I want to see Union JOBS protected and I want them to grow ---this action is opposite to those goals !

I'm not claiming to know the logistics or geography of that area.
My point is that UPS will not close that building out of spite resulting from current events.
For UPS the bottom line is always the bottom line.
This perceived "dirty pool" was precipitated by the like.
The company's desire to take all grievances to arbitration and stall them out is an obvious attempt to send the local into finacial hardship if not ruin.
The Teamsters are well aware of the sybiotic relationship between UPS's business and their existance.
I don't think UPS views the relationship in the same light.
No, I'm sure of it.

klein

Für Meno :)
I agree with Bubblehead, and the sups.

Lets have a better solution to stop all these arbitrations.
Which I got one for :
Tripple pay back, for every wrongful dismissal !

You go back to work after a week, thats 3 weeks pay, after a month, 3 months pay, and so on.

Maybe UPS would ask questions first, or issue warning letters, instead of all this arbitration garbage, that the Union can't keep up with, and UPS management delays as long as possible ?

Put that in the next contract !

tieguy

Banned
My point is that UPS will not close that building out of spite resulting from current events.
The company's desire to take all grievances to arbitration and stall them out is an obvious attempt to send the local into finacial hardship if not ruin.
The Teamsters are well aware of the sybiotic relationship between UPS's business and their existance.
No, I'm sure of it.

hope you're right. It could be as simple as a flow change in the buildings that feeding edinj.No additional cost expended. I'd hate to be a full timer in the bottom third of building seniority in that building right now.

tieguy

Banned

Which I got one for :

You go back to work after a week, thats 3 weeks pay, after a month, 3 months pay, and so on.

Maybe UPS would ask questions first, or issue warning letters, instead of all this arbitration garbage, that the Union can't keep up with, and UPS management delays as long as possible ?

And when are you running for business agent?

Just what I thought another guy standing on the sidelines throwing out wild ideas.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
hope you're right. It could be as simple as a flow change in the buildings that feeding edinj.No additional cost expended. I'd hate to be a full timer in the bottom third of building seniority in that building right now.

Like I said. I don't know the logistics of the area.
If what you said was economically viable it would have happened already.
Would that take Local 177 out of the mix?
I do know that it's called the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
You can run but you can't hide.
Management keeps playing the same games and they may see the players change but not the union presence.
I'll use your scare tactics in saying, I hope UPS isn't like Fred S and willing to cut off it's nose to spite it's face.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Which I got one for :

And when are you running for business agent?

Just what I thought another guy standing on the sidelines throwing out wild ideas.

Not as far fetched as you make it out to be Tie.
Case in point some of the various agreements nationwide concerning the 9.5 issue.
Klein for office???

tieguy

Banned
Like I said. I don't know the logistics of the area.
If what you said was economically viable it would have happened already.
Would that take Local 177 out of the mix?
I do know that it's called the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
You can run but you can't hide.
Management keeps playing the same games and they may see the players change but not the union presence.
I'll use your scare tactics in saying, I hope UPS isn't like Fred S and willing to cut off it's nose to spite it's face.

They're not my scare tactics . I have no dog in this hunt.

Just know you don't take your business public, especially if the ceo was expected there that day. The BS for 177 might be on a hunt for glory at the expense of his members.

I know this may be hard for you to understand but with all the locals you have in this country there is a chance that you might have one or two that screw the pooch.

I already know that all management in this country is screwed up so save me.:happy-very:

MobileBA

At what point does it become ridiculous. A contract is a document of legal obligations, if the company doesn't want to behave in a legal manner (abiding by the contract) I suppose other options need to be on the table. I've read the Naional Grievance panel decisions. One word comes to mind..........Deadlock. If your wrong own up and move on. The company doesn't want to own up or move on.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They're not my scare tactics . I have no dog in this hunt.

Just know you don't take your business public, especially if the ceo was expected there that day. The BS for 177 might be on a hunt for glory at the expense of his members.

I know this may be hard for you to understand but with all the locals you have in this country there is a chance that you might have one or two that screw the pooch.

I already know that all management in this country is screwed up so save me.:happy-very:

I also have no "irons in this fire" except for the fact that they are all my union brothers. (I know you hate that Tie)
I agree you keep your business in house when and if possible.
It would seem they're well past that.
As far as the rest of your banter, you toe your line as I toe mine.
I'll use the law of physics as an analogy that states for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
We'll see how the math plays out in this one as both Tie and myself obviously and admittedly have no first hand knowledge of this situation.

island1fox

No, I'm sure of it.

Bubblehead,
I am very familiar with edison --Have worked there -very familiar with the area ---I am not even suggesting out of"spite" Ups would close a building down. But I know they would to save money if the volume continues to drop.
The Teamsters are well aware of volume = Jobs ----Sorry I have never seen that ---they fight sales leads programs, bring public into arguments where they should not be,Feel more strongly about a supervisor touching a package than the thousands of non union(FEDX) drivers that deliver what should be union packages every day.
Instead of flying planes around or hanging out in NJ strip bars --why don,t the Business agents organize the huge fed x ground building that was recently built right across from the EDISON building ----sorry bubblehead but actions speak louder than words. When Ron C was in charge of the IBT--ALOT OF "CLEANUP" was done in 177--I will not mention names --but I knew them all --The Business agents back then partied in secaucus strip bars more than they represented the people. Jim H --IBT is a business person ---I do not speak for him --but I believe he would not agree with this potential volume loss action of 177 ---you do not cut off your nose to spite your face !!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
At what point does it become ridiculous. A contract is a document of legal obligations, if the company doesn't want to behave in a legal manner (abiding by the contract) I suppose other options need to be on the table. I've read the Naional Grievance panel decisions. One word comes to mind..........Deadlock. If your wrong own up and move on. The company doesn't want to own up or move on.

It's called a filibuster designed to bankrupt the local.

MobileBA

As for closing the building what a public relations coup that would be. What would they do with all the lost United Way Donations?

island1fox

Which I got one for :

Klien '
I also have a suggestion for every grievance filed that is proved to be false --the employee is discharged for dishonesty !!!! Please lets both not act like jerks.
How about lets develop more volume!!
How about lets unionize Fed x
How about the union and company work together to get the U.S. post office to stop misusing their monopoly --artficially lowering parcel rates and stealing volume off of Teamsters.

The playing field with Fedx is not level now ---with all the B.S.you people are involved in--you will not be happy until another UNION company goes belly up. Oh I almost forgot --Klein --you no longer work for UPS ---why not stir up the masses???:dissapointed:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubblehead,
I am very familiar with edison --Have worked there -very familiar with the area ---I am not even suggesting out of"spite" Ups would close a building down. But I know they would to save money if the volume continues to drop.
The Teamsters are well aware of volume = Jobs ----Sorry I have never seen that ---they fight sales leads programs, bring public into arguments where they should not be,Feel more strongly about a supervisor touching a package than the thousands of non union(FEDX) drivers that deliver what should be union packages every day.
Instead of flying planes around or hanging out in NJ strip bars --why don,t the Business agents organize the huge fed x ground building that was recently built right across from the EDISON building ----sorry bubblehead but actions speak louder than words. When Ron C was in charge of the IBT--ALOT OF "CLEANUP" was done in 177--I will not mention names --but I knew them all --The Business agents back then partied in secaucus strip bars more than they represented the people. Jim H --IBT is a business person ---I do not speak for him --but I believe he would not agree with this potential volume loss action of 177 ---you do not cut off your nose to spite your face !!!

Railway Act, Island, maybe you heard of it?
Teamsters in conjunction with UPS are actively working toward removing FedEx from this legislation which has insulated them from unionization.
Presently we can't organize the huge FedEx building across the street from the Edison building unless we organize every building across the country.
Once again if UPS deemed it economically viable to close that hub it would, will, or would have already.
No handbill, airplane banner, etc will push UPS off their bottom line.
The International like UPS would not experience a volume loss with this hub closure.
It would be a volume shift.
There would still be X# pkgs going to X# recipients.
There may be some unfortunate innocent bystanders with some lucky individuals to pick up the slack on the other end.
In the end it will be what the company thinks will be the most profitable and the Teamsters will have a comparable number of members.

klein

Für Meno :)
Klien '
I also have a suggestion for every grievance filed that is proved to be false --the employee is discharged for dishonesty !!!! Please lets both not act like jerks.
How about lets develop more volume!!
How about lets unionize Fed x
How about the union and company work together to get the U.S. post office to stop misusing their monopoly --artficially lowering parcel rates and stealing volume off of Teamsters.

The playing field with Fedx is not level now ---with all the B.S.you people are involved in--you will not be happy until another UNION company goes belly up. Oh I almost forgot --Klein --you no longer work for UPS ---why not stir up the masses???:dissapointed:

Gee, why Unionize fedex ?
You don't work for them either !
And why stop there, lets unionize the whole country !
Germany works that way. Every bartender, waitress, hairsystylist... Basically every single job is union there.

I don't know why you are so angry about all this.
UPS needed a wakeup call, and they got it.
Every company needs one now and then.

We had nurses picketing the streets last month (off work hrs, since they are not on strike).
But, they gave the government a wake up call.
Nothing wrong with that.