Elon Musk Exposes the Hatred of Free Speech

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What does that have to do with the legality of backing out of the contract to purchase?

Umm... because contract law is civil. If he's done anything wrong the penalty will be better to just pay rather than lose billions going forward with buying a company at his original offer that was made based on a fraudulent valuation. Twitter is the party that's committed criminal acts by lying about how many users were actually bots and overcharging for advertising.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Maybe they were. Just pointing out that walking away isn’t necessarily an option simply because he rethought his incredibly high offer.

His offer was based on fraud on Twitter's part. Contracts entered into under fraud are void. There are always ways to get out of contracts, it just comes at a price.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Don’t they audit the businesses books before an offer? If he discovered it now, why not before?

Finances don't keep track of user data. They knew they were lying and culpable. They also knew they couldn't turn down the offer, so they tried to use a NDA to keep Musk silent on the user data, but that didn't work. NDA's don't apply to criminal activity. Whistleblower laws protect people who expose criminal activity, supposedly.

bbsam

Staff member
No he doesn't. Prosecuting crimes is the prerogative of the Executive branch. He just needs to show they lied and their valuation was inflated as a result, which has already been proven.
No. Twitter will sue for breach and Elon will have to show cause.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
No. Twitter will sue for breach and Elon will have to show cause.

Showing cause is not the same level of proving fraud. He's not the prosecution. It's already proven they lied, and their value has dropped since that happened. What else is there to show? Sounds like cause to me.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Right. But he has to prove the fraud. Not sure how easy that is.
They provided data with number of users estimating how many were bots.

Musk found out that the bot estimate was based on a random sampling of 100 accounts. One hundred. There are over 300 million accounts. That's arguably fraud, they purposefully did not want to "know" the actual number.

Twitter was not happy he revealed their scam: