Employee Discounts or Indirect Advetising

Pip

In reguards to the employee discounts offered on UPSers.com. I've been wondering about this for some time, Figured I'd throw the question out to the forum.

--Has anybody really used the employee discounts with success and saved money?

--while I have been looking over some sites, I noticed that not all the time, but it seems that the discounts that are offered are not exactly exclusive to employee's, but more to the general public to draw attention to the company offering these discounts. I got to wonder if this is basicly a way to indirectly advertise the products by sugarcoating as an exclusive deal.

I guess I am a bit of a skeptic when it comes to employee discounts and such.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The cell phone discounts are good deals. If you order online the phone price is great. I use Cingular, and my monthly service plan went down 17%. When I looked into some of the other discounts, like on a computer, you could do better elsewhere.

breadbooze

The discounts for local businesses are a good deal. Around here the drivers circulate among themselves which places give us discounts.. all we have to do is show our ID.

I also have the cingular plan discount, though it only applies to one plan/one line.

Channahon

It really depends how much time you want to spend shopping. I'm not a big shopper, but before I make a big purchase (electronics) I do check UPSer's. com to do some comparative shopping.

tieguy

Banned
In reguards to the employee discounts offered on UPSers.com. I've been wondering about this for some time, Figured I'd throw the question out to the forum.

--Has anybody really used the employee discounts with success and saved money?

--while I have been looking over some sites, I noticed that not all the time, but it seems that the discounts that are offered are not exactly exclusive to employee's, but more to the general public to draw attention to the company offering these discounts. I got to wonder if this is basicly a way to indirectly advertise the products by sugarcoating as an exclusive deal.

I guess I am a bit of a skeptic when it comes to employee discounts and such.

used the ford discount in conjunction with the rebate offers at the time and saved a ton.

over9five

Staff member
I use the cell phone deal which saves me $11 a month. It's a nice deal.

But, don't bother with the Dell deal. You can do better on the regular Dell site.

The Omaha Steak deal is a HUGE rip-off. Much cheaper on the regular Omaha Steaks website.

DS

Fenderbender
I`m saving about $50 a yr on car insurance...
Theres good deals on chevys,hyundais,and kias.
$100 above dealer cost(so they say) not
that I could afford one anyways.
I dont know why people buy Dell computers.
They suck.Go to your neighborhood computer
store and have them build you one.If anything
breaks,you just take it in to the store.

wadep

The Ford "X" plam is a farce. I was able to bargain a better price then the plan would have given me.

The Dodge discount was of no value either. Got a better deal dickering back and forth.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I used the dell and it was bogus, maybe coz the person at Dell couldnt understand me, or vica versa......
I did get the sprint deal, 25% monthly off and 150 off products, so I got my phones free, but have to see if the discount actually comes though, had to pay up front.
I used it at christmas for M&ms, had good deals but I wanted Nascar m&ms and they didnt offer it on those things. Research is the best way. I couldnt do the sprint thing online I had to do it at the store, online I was denied as they said it wasnt offered in my area.

govols019

You smell that?
The 22% off from Verizon is nice but the discount we get from Harmon Audio is outstanding. I saved $175 when I replaced the speakers in my boat.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Bought 3 Dells over the years with the discount. No problems with them. Used the Cingular discount but had poor service locally. Got discount tickets for Universal Orlando but it was a low-rent operation picking them up down there.

Overpaid Union Thug

A discount with UPS would be nice. Many of the customers I deliver to are shocked when I tell them we don't get any kind of discount. We may not get a discount with our own company but at least the pay us good.

SmithBarney

Harmon discount = Awesome
Verizon = pretty dang good (22% off) verizon employees only get 25% off
Verizon is good, but they ship via FedEx signature required...makes it tough to recieve(make sure to tell them to use UPS)

shoes.com good prices free shipping too.
Just bought a Jeep... got a good discount there too.

Omaha steak (fake discount, puts you on a page with inflated prices)

And the best discount of all:
Weight Watchers... cause you know all of us UPSers need that...

canon

The Dodge discount was of no value either. Got a better deal dickering back and forth.
Dalmer Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep... the discount I received was called a "supplier" discount. I guess because we bring them their supplies. It amounted to $500 if I remember right. The same discount you get for being a veteran.

I probably would have saved more by dickering.

HazMatMan

I use the cell phone deal which saves me $11 a month. It's a nice deal.

But, don't bother with the Dell deal. You can do better on the regular Dell site.

The Omaha Steak deal is a HUGE rip-off. Much cheaper on the regular Omaha Steaks website.

I always saw 40% off Omaha steaks. You mean it's a better deal straight from the Omaha website??

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
I used the Dell discount around Christmas for my laptop and I saved $350. So I added a bunch of extras and got it for the base price.

disneyworld

The Ford "X" plam is a farce. I was able to bargain a better price then the plan would have given me.

Me too. I got an EB Explorer. The UPS discount price was $31000 or $34000(can't remember). I negotiated one down to $27500. It's a load of crap.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You can do better on the car discounts with just talking and negotiating.

Harman is for sure an awesome deal though you are limited to $3,000 (maybe 2k)/per year. The computer places are a joke.

I use Crutchfield alot. It may only be 10% but sometimes that can add up and work out for the better, uness you just HAVE to have it that day, you also get free shipping.

Also, the travel discounts are a joke as well.

over9five

Staff member
"I always saw 40% off Omaha steaks. You mean it's a better deal straight from the Omaha website??"

Yup. Open a window from the UPSers link, and open a window straight from Omaha steaks. Compare, you'll see!