Employee Discounts

rod

Retired 22 years
Every car salesman in town is a college grad. Remember that people before you go running up all that student loan debt.

clean hairy

My salesman alone sold 3 cars while we were there. They have at least 10 salesmen.
Really?
That happened once to me.
Waiting for the Rep to come back, waited 20 min.
Wife and I got up told the Receptionist Adios!
Another Rep asked what was wrong, stated we were not waiting all day for the Manager to make up his mind.
Was told our Rep would be right back, was on a test drive with another Customer.
I doubt that it will be. It's not really competing in any way. Laura Buick and gmc in collinsville Illinois outside of St. Louis.

What really sold me on them is I have a buddy that haggles with everyone over everything.

He had dealt with 3-4 other dealerships over a few months. None of them would price match the prices Laura had listed online. Said they couldn't even really come close. So he called them told them every option he wanted and to call them when they got it in.

They called him on a Friday morning and said its here. Called him back 2 hours later and said sorry we already sold it but there is one coming off of the assembly line tonight that we will have here tomorrow morning for you. That's how quick they move vehicles.
I just did a quick check, your guys will sell new buick verano for $19,995
I just found a dealer in Dallas selling the Verano for $19,800
Also found a Dealer in Phoenix Az for $19,800 as well.
I can probably find Dealers nationwide will beat their $19,995 price.
These are all prices on the Website of all 3 Dealers.
Not that hard to beat their prices.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Really?
That happened once to me.
Waiting for the Rep to come back, waited 20 min.
Wife and I got up told the Receptionist Adios!
Another Rep asked what was wrong, stated we were not waiting all day for the Manager to make up his mind.
Was told our Rep would be right back, was on a test drive with another Customer.

I just did a quick check, your guys will sell new buick verano for $19,995
I just found a dealer locally selling the Verano for $19,800
Not that hard to beat their prices.
Number two GMC dealer in the country. Have no idea how many buicks they sell. There obviously isn't a lot of room for movement on a sub 20k vehicle.

I'm sure 90% of what they sell is trucks and yukons. Usually pretty loaded too. They sell a bunch of vehicles that list at 60-70k

Something obviously works or they wouldn't move that many vehicles.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Every car salesman in town is a college grad. Remember that people before you go running up all that student loan debt.
I am not sure what your point is. Are you saying that being a car salesman is bad? Just curious. This is in no way combative- I like you a bunch. Especially because of your relationship with The Great UpstateNYUPSer. Lol

clean hairy

keep in mind the advertised is nice, but total cost out the door is what counts.
Factor in the time and expense of having to do the work to title an out of state vehicle in your own state as well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

keep in mind the advertised is nice, but total cost out the door is what counts.
Factor in the time and expense of having to do the work to title an out of state vehicle in your own state as well.

Wouldn't the dealership take care of all that? I know when I bought a car in Vermont they took care of all that for me.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We paid taxes title and liscense fees that's it. Like I said before there was no upsell on anything. Only thing that was even mentioned was an extended warranty. It was very refreshing.

If I did it again I would test drive and check out vehicles at other dealerships then go there to buy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We paid taxes title and liscense fees that's it. Like I said before there was no upsell on anything. Only thing that was even mentioned was an extended warranty. It was very refreshing.

If I did it again I would test drive and check out vehicles at other dealerships then go there to buy.

Would you give the other dealerships the chance to match their offer?

rod

Retired 22 years
I am not sure what your point is. Are you saying that being a car salesman is bad? Just curious. This is in no way combative- I like you a bunch. Especially because of your relationship with The Great UpstateNYUPSer. Lol

For the most part car salesmen are about the biggest sleeze-bags going. The more they lie the more money they make. "That's all I can give you on your trade-in"---"you are getting the best price I can offer"----"I have to know right now--this deal won't be good tomorrow". The ones I know could lie just as good without a college education and racking up all that student debt.

clean hairy

Dealers are real bad at math.
I have seen a Window Sticker with an MSRP of $25,819
Then they add on stuff totaling $1,248.
Somehow, their addition shows a total of $27,215 (Real answer is $27,067) Now, how many Customers are really going to check it?
Personally, I deal off of MSRP, if a Dealer refuses to do so, SEEYA!

clean hairy

For the most part car salesmen are about the biggest sleeze-bags going. The more they lie the more money they make. "That's all I can give you on your trade-in"---"you are getting the best price I can offer"----"I have to know right now--this deal won't be good tomorrow". The ones I know could lie just as good without a college education and racking up all that student debt.
When they pull the "deal is only good now" I stand up, thank them for their time, (maybe 30 min) and leave.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

You can't always blame the salesperson. I've been at dealers wanting to buy, and even once the salesperson starts to accept my offer, he/she suddenly has to go consult with the sales manager.

That is the time to get up and leave.

rod

Retired 22 years
You can't always blame the salesperson. I've been at dealers wanting to buy, and even once the salesperson starts to accept my offer, he/she suddenly has to go consult with the sales manager.

That is the time to get up and leave.

I've always assumed that the salesperson always has to clear the deal with the sales manager. They do around here anyway. They usually come back and give you the old sob story about how the manager won't let them do that deal but he will settle for ......

rod

Retired 22 years
I've bought my last 3 cars through Costco. I may have been able to save a bit more through haggling but not playing the stupid car dealer game was worth the money I lost.

I will be in the market for a new truck soon and I'm seriously considering going the Costco route. From everything I've read about it most buyers say a really knowledgeable professional haggler might get a slightly better deal but for the average Joe Blow Costco will get you real close to the best price.

brownburro

I will be in the market for a new truck soon and I'm seriously considering going the Costco route. From everything I've read about it most buyers say a really knowledgeable professional haggler might get a slightly better deal but for the average Joe Blow Costco will get you real close to the best price.
I usually put the sales staff on the clock. With my last purchase I was in and out in a hour and a half. I paid $250 over invoice on a new Jeep Rubicon. I'm fine with that.