Employee financial assistance.. is it available?

rod

Retired 22 years
No - but is it something the United Way could help you with?
Don't count on the United Way helping you. We had a driver that tried to get some help out of them but they said he didn't qualify because he made too much. That came back to bite them because after that about half the work crew refused to donate. They even quit coming to our building to give a presentation at their yearly drive time.

feeder53

ADKtrails
There are a number of places to look depending on the circumstances....Care to share ...or look on the internet, local churches and other organizations. Good Luck.

local804

Don't count on the United Way helping you. We had a driver that tried to get some help out of them but they said he didn't qualify because he made too much. That came back to bite them because after that about half the work crew refused to donate. They even quit coming to our building to give a presentation at their yearly drive time.

Hear a little too many stories like this.What a fn shame

HPLude

Thanks for the replies. As for United Way, my mother donated approx. $15k over the years of her employment history, and when my grandfather was diagnosed with Asbestos poisioning she requested help. As times were rough for a family of 8 children, household of 10 they needed assistance, in early 80's. All they asked from UW was for a cane and a few things for accesibility. Basically laughed in her face... I only found this out about 2 weeks ago, after I been donating since the 1st of the year. How can I go about withdrawing from this??

HazMatMan

Hear a little too many stories like this.What a fn shame
Ditto here too. Heard a story about a driver. Wonder if it was the same driver or a different one.. Like I have said before, I used to give to the UW and stopped in 91 or 92 when the top guy was skimming funds or something to that effect. That was enough for me to stop, once bitten twice shy..

Average at Best

Thanks for the replies. As for United Way, my mother donated approx. $15k over the years of her employment history, and when my grandfather was diagnosed with Asbestos poisioning she requested help. As times were rough for a family of 8 children, household of 10 they needed assistance, in early 80's. All they asked from UW was for a cane and a few things for accesibility. Basically laughed in her face... I only found this out about 2 weeks ago, after I been donating since the 1st of the year. How can I go about withdrawing from this??

All you have to do (at least in my district) is send a note to your payroll department. All it has to say is your name, employee ID, and a brief "please cease all United Way deduction immeditately." We had a rash of withdrawings this past year, after the hub manager took everyone's card that had a $0 and put $0.50 on it instead. He got a plaque and everything for having the best participation rate in the district, then it comes out that he rigged the whole thing once people starting noticing donations on their paychecks. Oh, and by the way: he still has his job AND the plaque, even though he clearly has an integrity issue....

Big Babooba

I used to contribute to the United Way. I was one of the biggest contributers in our building because my daughters were in the Girl Scouts. I believed in what they did for the community. My brother in law was into recreational drugs. One night he had a bad experience. We tried to get help for him through the United Way and were turned away. He died a few weeks later from an overdose. He was 29 years old. It's been 12 years and I miss him dearly. The United Way will never get another penny from me.

ups_vette

I may be confused about what is the function of United Way. I'm under the impression that United Way is more or less a clearing house for charities. United Way collects monies from donors and distributes those monies to the various charities in your community, such as the Boy Scouts, American Heart Association, Cancer Foundation, drug abuse programs, and so forth.

When someone is need of assistance, they go to the particular charity that deals with whatever problem they are having. They do not go to United Way for assistance. If someone in their family is having a drug problem, they would contact the local charity that deals with drug abuse. The same would apply if the problem were cancer, the go to the Cancer Foundation, and so on.

Rather than someone making seperate contributions to every charity, they need only to contribute to United Way and every charity in the comunity receives a contribution.

DISCLAIMER>>>>I am not presently, nor have I ever been an employee of United Way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can actually designate your donation be given to a particular charity/public service group or anything along those lines as long as they are a non-profit or not-for-profit group and have been designated by the United Way as an eligible organization. I have $25/week deducted and it all goes to the local Hospice organization, which assists families of those people nearing the end of their lives. It is a very worthwhile cause and I have no problem supporting their efforts.

There was a rather long and emotion filled thread on the United Way a while ago so I don't think we need to rehash that here again.