Energy Efforts Could Benefit UPS Longterm

T

traveler

I always liked the fact that UPS experimented with various fuel sources, gasoline, diesel, electric, natural gas, etc. I do however have reservations about fuel cell technology and its use for passenger vehicles. There is no doubt that this is the cleanest source of power for vehicles. What no one is talking about is the danger involved. Hydrogen (the fuel used) is extremely flammable. Note the Hindenberg disaster that all but ended the "lighter than air" flying vehicles. The dispensing of hydrogen in small quantities as an auto (package car) fuel can be extremely dangerous. One bad connection during fueling and a tiny spark (even from static electric) could blow up the fueler, the vehicle and in the worst case the building(s) nearby.

Anyone out there with any experience or expertise to agree or disagree?

T

traveler

wkmac,
Some very enlightening info on those sites, particularly the first one. Their safety claims do seem reasonable. From my brief reading it does seem that the weight of the tank, etc. for a fuel cell car is a problem. They will have a hard time promoting a car that does not have good performance (acceleration & speed). For transportation of goods that is not a big factor but there will be us '60's folks who miss those fins (where did he!! did they go?) and the excellent performance of todays cars (i.e. Corvette, Jags, etc.).