enrolling in 401k

Nomad

Im 22 and new to 401k's. Ive only worked for one other company that did 401k (a call center for a big credit bureau, left that for UPS) and I basically just had to select how much to contribute and that was it, they also matched which I just learned UPS doesn't (Im a new"ish" full time driver in the union, not a PT or FT supe/management..) With UPS however it seems I'll actually be choosing what Im investing in. I haven't gotten past the page where you select the amount of contribution to give on the enrollment site, so Ive no idea if its going to be simpler to choose what to invest in than what Im imagining right now. Currently Im wondering if it would be overkill or really necessary to go to an actual accountant and seek financial advice regarding this and get some good information regarding 401's and investing anyways.

Nomad

Also, is there a "go back" option I can use on the enrollment site that allows me to cancel my choices? I want to explore the site without actually changing or adding anything yet I guess thats more the reason for my post. Thanks in advance anyone

Im 22 and new to 401k's. Ive only worked for one other company that did 401k (a call center for a big credit bureau, left that for UPS) and I basically just had to select how much to contribute and that was it, they also matched which I just learned UPS doesn't (Im a new"ish" full time driver in the union, not a PT or FT supe/management..) With UPS however it seems I'll actually be choosing what Im investing in. I haven't gotten past the page where you select the amount of contribution to give on the enrollment site, so Ive no idea if its going to be simpler to choose what to invest in than what Im imagining right now. Currently Im wondering if it would be overkill or really necessary to go to an actual accountant and seek financial advice regarding this and get some good information regarding 401's and investing anyways.
Start saving now!

Right @DriveInDriveOut ?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Also, is there a "go back" option I can use on the enrollment site that allows me to cancel my choices? I want to explore the site without actually changing or adding anything yet I guess thats more the reason for my post. Thanks in advance anyone
It's pretty straightforward, you can make changes anytime you want, it usually only takes a day or two for changes to take affect. Just choose the contribution amount you want and get started, you can't really do anything wrong, other than not investing at all.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
if there is no match, there is much less reason to use a 401k

read up and invest in an IRA (probably Roth) and HSA (backdoor IRA you can also use for medical crap); i recommend searching and reading through reddit's investing subreddit for moar knowledge

the big thing to know is you need to start investing now; compound interest can make you retire like a King, but you need to give it 20+ years to do its magic

read up and invest in an IRA (probably Roth) and HSA (backdoor IRA you can also use for medical crap); i recommend searching and reading through reddit's investing subreddit for moar knowledge

the big thing to know is you need to start investing now; compound interest can make you retire like a King, but you need to give it 20+ years to do its magic
The 401k is an automatic way to save for you Future. Out if sight out of mind. It also has a ROTH Option.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

401k contribution limit is 3 times the limit for an ira.

Dude, I don't care.
Shouldn't you be busy making some graphs for management to ignore.
O3GqAYR9jFxLi.gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Certified financial planner. Not an accountant.

Will be the best money you ever spend.