enrolling in 401k

Math is hard huh?
3o7qDEq2bMbcbPRQ2c.gif

flatbread

Occasional Lurker

Well, it is a sector fund. You can't blame the fund manager if the fund goes down along with the entire sector. One might take that fund as a diversifier against the rest of the portfolio, but don't take it as a gauge of how good or bad Vanguard is.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
Vanguard funds are great but I don't think they are an option in the UPS plan.

Vanguard founder Jack Bogle would probably be very happy with our 401(k) options if you were to walk up to him and ask. Index funds that don't try to game the market. Very low expense ratios. My one complaint is that there isn't a single "Total Stock Market" fund like there is with Vanguard, but you can fix that yourself with a right ratio of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds.

Elvis

Forty and out
I have 810k in the 401k and 150k at Vanguard & 732 shares UPS. The fees are lower in the 401k, my return YTD is over 13%. ROTH 401k is best starting out. JUST START, 10% and you'll be fine, more you'll be rich. Fine tuning can come later.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have 810k in the 401k and 150k at Vanguard & 732 shares UPS. The fees are lower in the 401k, my return YTD is over 13%. ROTH 401k is best starting out. JUST START, 10% and you'll be fine, more you'll be rich. Fine tuning can come later.
Thank you. Thank you very much.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yes and no. If you are saving in a ROTH it doesn't really matter. Personally I think that will discourage some people from saving more for retirement.
There's no "yes and no" about it, it's a tax increase that's the whole reason they're doing it. They are planning big tax cuts to corporations and the top 1% and in order to stay revenue neural they have to get the money from somewhere else. That's where we come in.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
[concerning the 401(k) limit drop proposal]

In a political environment in which dependency on government handouts is toxic, why would anyone make such a drastic move to increase it? I would only support this if it came with a large increase in the Roth IRA limit.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
[concerning the 401(k) limit drop proposal]

In a political environment in which dependency on government handouts is toxic, why would anyone make such a drastic move to increase it? I would only support this if it came with a large increase in the Roth IRA limit.
I wouldn't support it no matter how much they raise the Roth limit (if that's even on the table) and neither should you. Down the road what's to stop them from levying some sort of "fee" (not a tax mind you!) on your Roth withdrawals? Keep in mind they are also talking about taking away things like the mortgage deduction. Working Americans need more tax shelters, not less. Givebacks set a terrible precedent.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yes and no. If you are saving in a ROTH it doesn't really matter. Personally I think that will discourage some people from saving more for retirement.
Only 10% of people use Roth. People will save less to keep their take home pay the same.

My wife and I would probably have to put 8 grand less in our 401k's next year if they did this.