Entitlement

• Thread starter selfcancelsignal
  • Start date
S

selfcancelsignal

Are we entitled if we'd like a customer to help us at a bulk stop or pick up, or are they entitled for not helping unload or load the bulk?

PT Car Washer

If the guys on the dock want to help I gladly take it. If they just want to stand there and watch, that is fine also. Some guys are afraid they will be in your way or trying to push you or don't know how you will react if they help. Just play it by ear.

Box Ox

All we're entitled to is a signature for what we've got for them and a pile of what they've got for us. But I try to make sure dock guys who understand my time situation and dive right in get their big bulk deliveries while I've still got air to run. Clears out the PC and helps their turnaround for pickups big time.

SCV good to go sir.

I play it by ear as well.

My rule of thumb for bulk stops is if they're standing within arms range or at the very edge of the package truck, then they want to help. I'll scan a few and set them near them/the handcart to see their reaction. If they start picking those up I'll just hand them the packages, if not I'll just keep building the stack until I can haul it out of the way and continue do the work myself.

With pick ups I just go in there expecting to do the work myself. I appreciate their help and will always take it, but I have to remain vigilant about the NDAs.

Regardless, I'm always moving and leaving the indecision to them. If they're indecisive, no one cares. If you show just an ounce of indecisiveness, they can construe that as you being lazy (speaking from experience). Don't give our :censored2:tier customers a reason to harp on you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Any help that I get is appreciated but certainly not expected.

I always make sure that if they do help they do not step in to the package car. I certainly don't want to make that phone call.

S

selfcancelsignal

If the guys on the dock want to help I gladly take it. If they just want to stand there and watch, that is fine also. Some guys are afraid they will be in your way or trying to push you or don't know how you will react if they help. Just play it by ear.
I'm pretty much the same, but part of me thinks at 2 of my bulk stops, the customers don't help 'cause they know how much we make. Fine with me as long as the time allowance is close. Paid by the hour.

Geo926

I could care less on the delivery side. On the pickup side when I see a couple skids, by all means help :)

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I'm pretty much the same, but part of me thinks at 2 of my bulk stops, the customers don't help 'cause they know how much we make. Fine with me as long as the time allowance is close. Paid by the hour.
That's they :censored2:tiest reason for them not to help. So does that mean I should cook my food if I go to Wendy's because the make so little?

As I always tell people, I never ask for help but I never turn it down.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's they :censored2:tiest reason for them not to help. So does that mean I should cook my food if I go to Wendy's because the make so little?

As I always tell people, I never ask for help but I never turn it down.

I was at a delivery stop and was struggling with an Over 70. The receiver overheard me grunting and said something to the effect that we make too much money to make sounds like that.

Ironically he lost his job a few months later. Darn.

BrownTexas

The "you make to much" comments annoy me. I think I will start telling people " well you must be over paid for your position since you're just watching me work".