Equal "protection" under the hour break policy

Sniper

I realize I am beating a dead horse.....:clubbing:

I understand more and more stations are getting away without the mandatory hour break for over 8 hours worked. Our station has a good mix of "local" routes....and some REALLY extended routes.... but the rule is the same:

1. Hour break
2. NO exceptions
3. No 01's

Of course we all know you CAN NOT make up the miles unless they issue hover crafts or jet packs..:wink2:

If any of you fine Express couriers would correct our assumptions we would appreciate it. You would assume the hour break policy would be the same from sea to shining sea....but I don't think it is.

I just hate to see someone get seriously injured or killed when policy is very different in other locations. It just is very demoralizing when "most" of us give 110% each day and then hung out half the night because the budget overrides safety.

Peak will be interesting to say the least..... and it's not even October yet...WOW... :happy-very:

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I can tell you, without a doubt, that today I hit 9+ hrs. with only a .5 code 13.
We were hit so hard at our sta. (On the W. coast) that over half (by my account) rts. had to drop outboud and continue del'ing.

I specifically mentioned to an Ops. mgr. that I only took a .5 code 13 and was on my way back out (after 1700) to finish del'ing. I also, specifically, asked this mgr. if they wanted me to take another .5 code 13 before I went back out an the answer was no.

!Retired!

Since I do a 4/10, I don't see many of the AM couriers when their done. But, I do see some of their time cards that printed out after they left. I can tell you there's more than 1 courier that only take 1/2 hour.

bigbird00

The mandated hour break is nation wide.At our STA. they ask us to split it either 2 30 min. or 3 20 min.I can tell you very few are spliting the break whether its late freight or not,why would you split it.Just give them the WAD and take the failures and sooner or later it will go away.Remember its there plan.The longer you split the break the longer it will stay.In the great minds of Memphis its makes us more productive.PSP.The same with DRA follow it stop for stop.They have told one RT. at our STA. not to use it because it doesn't work for that RT.DRDumb is a trainwreck and they know it ,but they wanna believe.Smile,give them the WAD and hope that someday they wake up,but I don't see it this train is to far down the tracks to get it back.The plan is to antagonize SR. couriers into leaving.Face the facts this is an entry level job now low pay and crap ins.Why do we stay.Vacation.Thats it!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I realize I am beating a dead horse.....:clubbing:

I understand more and more stations are getting away without the mandatory hour break for over 8 hours worked. Our station has a good mix of "local" routes....and some REALLY extended routes.... but the rule is the same:

1. Hour break
2. NO exceptions
3. No 01's

Of course we all know you CAN NOT make up the miles unless they issue hover crafts or jet packs..:wink2:

If any of you fine Express couriers would correct our assumptions we would appreciate it. You would assume the hour break policy would be the same from sea to shining sea....but I don't think it is.

I just hate to see someone get seriously injured or killed when policy is very different in other locations. It just is very demoralizing when "most" of us give 110% each day and then hung out half the night because the budget overrides safety.

Peak will be interesting to say the least..... and it's not even October yet...WOW... :happy-very:

Yesterday, we had late freight, heavy volumes, and utter chaos due to DRA. My normal stop count is between 85 and 100. Yesterday I had between 130 and 140. The station had somewhere between 500 and 1,000 DEX 01s, yet the commands were the same as you stated above. Full break, no exceptions, and no DEX01's. There were a LOT of people working for free yesterday during "lunch". This is nuts, people. WAD, do EXACTLY what they say, and let them deal with the consequences. Don't play their effing game.

whenIgetthere

Yesterday, we had late freight, heavy volumes, and utter chaos due to DRA. My normal stop count is between 85 and 100. Yesterday I had between 130 and 140. The station had somewhere between 500 and 1,000 DEX 01s, yet the commands were the same as you stated above. Full break, no exceptions, and no DEX01's. There were a LOT of people working for free yesterday during "lunch". This is nuts, people. WAD, do EXACTLY what they say, and let them deal with the consequences. Don't play their effing game.

We had the same problem this week, routes completely bombed. My last delivery was at 1925 last night, on a route I'm usually am back in the building before 1700. They had to send a shuttle out to meet the five routes in the city I was working in to collect our outbound, so we could all continue delivering. Nice OT check this week. One of the five routes which covers a large chunk of the resi areas here left the building with 170 stops, a route which usually does 110 on a heavy day.

ProfitServiceProfit

I'm on my way out the door but I haven't taken an hour break in at least 2 years. I know for a fact there are at least 5 other couriers at my station that don't take an hour either.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Is this nationwide for "everyone" or just couriers? I know for a fact that handlers and RTD drivers, (in our area-not sure about couriers), don't take an "hour break". But then again, we are talking about SENIOR EMPLOYEES that stick together. If I'm not mistaken, there was a "GTF" sent to Memphis, regarding this policy last year.

El Morado Diablo

We had late freight once this week. We were told no short breaks but management gave us the OK after a series of phone calls to the higher ups. I think the only reason they were allowed was because piss-poor planning on FedEx's part was responsible for the late freight. They still wanted P1's delivered first and no Dex 1's. All of our routes went home later than 1930.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We had late freight once this week. We were told no short breaks but management gave us the OK after a series of phone calls to the higher ups. I think the only reason they were allowed was because piss-poor planning on FedEx's part was responsible for the late freight. They still wanted P1's delivered first and no Dex 1's. All of our routes went home later than 1930.

Eff them. As usual, it's always on their terms. If they need you to take a short break because it serves their purposes, it's fine, otherwise, it's a letter. There is no discretion on your part. I say take the full break, and just bring back a pile of DEX01's. This is everywhere EMD, so if we WAD everywhere, they will be screwed on service. Like I said, eff them and the donkey they rode in on.

SmithBarney

The break rule is mostly a DOT compliance thing, Also be aware that 8hrs is from when you punch in, NOT when you start on road.

But hey now you have til 8pm to get those so, e2's off! no rush.

DRAisawesome

havent taken an hour break in weeks. so far no letters or olcc's. i do not believe its policy, its a directive. if they ever made policy one could take the hour break right after the sort and sit for an hour. see what they would say then.

SmithBarney

havent taken an hour break in weeks. so far no letters or olcc's. i do not believe its policy, its a directive. if they ever made policy one could take the hour break right after the sort and sit for an hour. see what they would say then.

Correct it's not a Policy, or a Directive. IT'S the LAW. (So we are told... )

fedupforsure

ok now comes decision time for us people. If you are really this upset by the hour break (and yes I am) then we need to start talking to every courier and convince them to demand that they get their hr break all through peak. lets see how they handle that> It will be a sacrifice on our part short term but it just may prove our point

ProfitServiceProfit

The break rule is mostly a DOT compliance thing, Also be aware that 8hrs is from when you punch in, NOT when you start on road.

But hey now you have til 8pm to get those so, e2's off! no rush.

The 8 hour federal mandate doesn't apply to package delivery drivers anymore. There are a couple of threads that explain why but I'm on my phone and too lazy to find them right now.

ProfitServiceProfit

I'm on my way out the door but I haven't taken an hour break in at least 2 years. I know for a fact there are at least 5 other couriers at my station that don't take an hour either.

Not sure how you get away with it, because it's policy. More power to you if you can.

Our senior admitted it's not a policy, it's a "directive" and made us sign a sheet saying we were to follow all directives or face punishment for insubordination.

In my case I just told my manager I'm not going to do it. They've known I would be gone before peak for awhile so I think they just decided it wasn't worth the hassle.