Hour Breaks

FedExMan

Since the beginning of January we have had to take mandatory hour breaks. (Only if we work more than 8 hours).The problem is the routes at our station was not created with hour breaks in mind.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Since the beginning of January we have had to take mandatory hour breaks. (Only if we work more than 8 hours).The problem is the routes at our station was not created with hour breaks in mind.
We've been doing that for awhile. What do you mean by, the routes weren't created with hour breaks in mind?

FedExMan

The routes were structured with a 30 minute break in mind. We only had to do a half hour for years now. Even when routes go up for bid it states that the break is scheduled for 30 minutes.

outtatime

The routes were structured with a 30 minute break in mind. We only had to do a half hour for years now. Even when routes go up for bid it states that the break is scheduled for 30 minutes.
Still didn't answer the question. If they want you to take an hour, take an hour. If that means staying out later and messing up their RTB time or GAP reports because you have to break off to make service then that's their problem. You're only following direction. The key is making sure to take a full hour EVERY SINGLE DAY, even if there is late freight and during peak. Why would the rules be different in Jan than they are in Dec?

FedExMan

My question was is this going on in other districts? The rules changed because we have a new district manager IMO.

Swngdrvr

We have been required to take hour breaks if you work over 8 hours for about two years. I hate it. Most of the station hates it. Some of our DRA routes have no break built in at all. They do that so it doesn't keep creating routes that they don't have bodies to cover. So the last route in the loop can get 40-50 more p2 and still be required to take the same break.

!Retired!

We only have to take a 30 minute break, unless you go over 12. Then you have to take 1 hour.

I can not remember the last time I took an hour. I'd rather take 30 minutes and go home 30 minutes earlier.

!Retired!

We do? I've worked plenty of 13 1/2'rs (time from clock in to clock out, not "paid time") with nary a word about my half hour break.
13 1/2 hours clock in to clock out, not 'paid time'? Then you had a break greater than 30 minutes, no?

Star B

White Lightening
Under "TOTAL" in your time card it is the time your paid for, not your duty time.

For example, my timecard shows "1300" and my clock in/out was 13 1/2.

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member
I've taken only one break in the last 12 months that was over an hour, that was during peak.

I take enough stops everyday to stay busy and get back with my outbound.

MAKAVELI

We do? I've worked plenty of 13 1/2'rs (time from clock in to clock out, not "paid time") with nary a word about my half hour break.
Depends on your state's meal break laws. In Cali 12+ hours and you have to take that second 30 min break.

They just expect you to drive through your break. The rules at this place change daily. If you talk to HR they just feed you some lies. This place has gotten so bad the past couple years.

!Retired!

My question was is this going on in other districts? The rules changed because we have a new district manager IMO.
Did the rules change, or are they just being enforced now? If the rules changed, please give an example.
Under "TOTAL" in your time card it is the time your paid for, not your duty time.

For example, my timecard shows "1300" and my clock in/out was 13 1/2.
I see. I misunderstood what you said before. I haven't worked over 12 in a long time.
They just expect you to drive through your break. The rules at this place change daily. If you talk to HR they just feed you some lies. This place has gotten so bad the past couple years.
I don't ever drive through my break. Then again, my stops are usually only 3-4 blocks apart.

Not the same

We have been told that it is senior manager discretion if you take an hour break or 30 mins.
30 is required after 6 hours for us.
Our Nazi senior was forcing us to take an hour break even through peak. The week of Christmas he was "gracious " enough to let us take 30 minutes cuz they wanted more work out of us.

outtatime

We have been told that it is senior manager discretion if you take an hour break or 30 mins.
30 is required after 6 hours for us.
Our Nazi senior was forcing us to take an hour break even through peak. The week of Christmas he was "gracious " enough to let us take 30 minutes cuz they wanted more work out of us.
Then I would "graciously" decline and take the full hour still. He can go eff himself if he thinks I'm changing the rules to benefit him.