ethics in management

trickpony1

Anon Craven-

Since you aren't registered (and I understand why) I can't give you positive rep points but I do applaud your honest, realistic portrait of our company and its management!

Well said!

UPS Lifer

I don't get violent, I just grant them the opportunity to be as disrespectful, when both of us are on equal terms.

Disrespect goes both ways. If you have a need to show someone that you can fight back there is usually something that is lacking in your life that causes you to do that. Negative energy directed at someone who disrespected you is only going to make things worse. To try and even the score is all about feeding your ego and not about creating a positive outcome.

I have to agree with DS in both his posts!!!

I always did my very best to do the right thing. If I couldn't sleep at night, that was my first clue that I did not do something right. I trained my folks to run their operation as if their mother, spouse or I was sitting on their shoulder watching their every move. If their was any confusion, I would ask them what would you do if I was standing behind you?

Nobody is perfect but I do my best to follow the Golden Rule.
Care about your people and they will take care of you. It is as simple as that. I worked for a lot of tyrants and somehow there was a bubble around me.

I did have operations where the numbers were in the red and I never feared losing my job. Maybe - they are like the sharks they smell the blood and sense the fear??? If there is no blood or fear the sharks pass you by.

I have found throughout life that you get what you deserve. You have the ability to turn lemons into lemonade. Don't look to the next person to do it for you!

UPS Lifer

And the minute you achieve your goal they change the standard. They increase the goal because some dressed up dummy somewhere needs to justify his job by showing an "improvement".

Channahon has given you the correct advice! This is life - it is UPS - it is progress.

The sooner you realize this concept, the easier your life will be. ....and I am not just talking about your work life.

The whole purpose of life is to continue to grow, progress and improve to strive for the all elusive concept of Happiness with a capital "H"!!!!

Tell me that you don't have any goals and that you still want to be a loader 25 years from now. As you reach a goal you adjust and make a new goal to shoot for. Don't you do that in your personal life??

tieguy

Banned
Anon Craven-

Since you aren't registered (and I understand why) I can't give you positive rep points but I do applaud your honest, realistic portrait of our company and its management!

Well said!

yes you applaud the coward for posting his view anonymously. And you can understand why since the guy claims he has left ups and found a better job where everything is better. Ahhhh Trick why would the guy need to post anonymously if he has left ups. Do we now have hitmen that follow disgruntled employees to other jobs and wack em? Please explain just how far you take this evil empire view of the company?

Perhaps our anon coward will post the company name he now works at where everything is better so you can join him and also be happy? you are capable of that emotion in a work related context, aren't you?

feeder53

ADKtrails
I do believe that because the stocks went public, the problem increased. This is a prevalent patern in this type of move. This does not change the facts that we (MGMT, Employee and Union) should do our best as a team and move forward. UPS has a great benefit package, and there are a lot of jobs out there that pay a lot less and you get the same personalities.
UPS is my second job, my first pays about the same but there is a lot of things that are covered under my title, and there is always that statement "Other duties as assigned". Its a job, and will be what WE make it.

feeder53

ADKtrails
Tieguy is right, why anon............Things are not always as they seem. If I were asked, I would give them my name as I have nothing to hide. I speak my peace....

sx2700

Banned
Channahon has given you the correct advice! This is life - it is UPS - it is progress.

The sooner you realize this concept, the easier your life will be. ....and I am not just talking about your work life.

The whole purpose of life is to continue to grow, progress and improve to strive for the all elusive concept of Happiness with a capital "H"!!!!

Tell me that you don't have any goals and that you still want to be a loader 25 years from now. As you reach a goal you adjust and make a new goal to shoot for. Don't you do that in your personal life??

Hey man, I'm just stating a fact. Every day I have to listen to a supervisor squawk about numbers this and numbers that. We didn't make this goal because we were concentrating on the goal they were griping about the day before. It is a neverending vicious circle. Why can't people just go to work and do the job they were hired for without constantly being bombarded with BS? I feel a lot less motivated when someone is telling me on a daily basis what a screw up I am.

nhguy

With just under 25 years of service at UPS, I can tell you that the people at the center levels have very little power. The entire company is micromanaged out of corporate. The managers and supervisors of today are now employees, just like our union people. Up thru and including the division managers level, they no longer can make decisions. Simple decisons that used to be made with common sense and the customers best interest at heart are no longer the norm.

The public offering was the worst thing that happened to this company. With that being said, EVERYONE, has to learn to accept it and go on.

I will agree that respect goes both ways and that no matter who is calling the shots, treating each other with respect goes a long way on both sides.

Remember the big fish always eats the little ones

Average at Best

The entire company is micromanaged out of corporate. The managers and supervisors of today are now employees, just like our union people. Up thru and including the division managers level, they no longer can make decisions. Simple decisons that used to be made with common sense and the customers best interest at heart are no longer the norm.

I absolutely agree with that statement. The problem I've always run across is that we get these screwy decisions by corporate that make absolutely no sense. In my opinion, it is because of the shift in culture. Back in the old days, your upper, upper management was comprised of people that started as part-time preloaders and worked their way up. They knew how the system worked, and they took their early experiences on with them as they became corporate decision makers. Now, you seem to have a lot more people getting hired straight into your upper management positions because they have an MBA from Harvard or Wharton. I'm not knocking Ivy League grads, but UPS doesn't run the way a textbook says it should. You need those early preload/reload/hub experiences to make good decisions for the company. That way, you know how a hub runs by experience, not how your strategic management class told you it should run.

And I think some of the little Hitler behavior you see in some lower management is an off-shoot of this powerlessness. You have a fancy title like "Business Manager" but you can't change your goals, and you have procedures for everything from which direction to turn your vehicle (not left) to which type of copy paper to order through OASIS (the cheap stuff from Staples that sticks together). All you can do is march around with a puffed out chest, barking at the union people and feeding into an ego that, without the Hitler-attitude, might be sadly underfed.

4KSMEW refresh image

I do believe that because the stocks went public, the problem increased. This is a prevalent patern in this type of move.

I disagree. Allowing hourly to purchase stock was the first "problem."

The second "problem" was allowing Teamsters back after they disrupted service in 1997.

You can talk all the rah-rah Casey stuff you want - he knew how to treat "employees" that proved themselves unworthy of employment - and he did it in SPADES - and in fact personally authored the contingency plan that UPS opted NOT to follow that would have replaced each one of you.

Going public was a move to prevent UPS from being spun off into a variety of companies through asset sales that were intended to operate using contractors.

It's still something they're going to be forced to do. It's just a matter of time. Tick-tock.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Channahon

I agree with your post

I do have one question
Jim Casey was a visionary, and over the years, UPS CEO's made changes as necessary to keep UPS competitive in the industry. Jim's people philosphy has always been taught at UPS along with providing the best service for our customers

You say it is taught? By whom? and what position do they have at UPS.

Then the big question. Since it is taught, why is it that the decision makers at UPS forget what they have been taught, and do just the opposite?

I am not sure that the sale to the public was the reason things went differently, but things sure changed around that time, and not really for the best.

d

Channahon

Dannyboy,

Formal training for UPS management is as follows:
New Supervisor Orientation - HR function
Supervisor Leadership School - Manager or Division Manager level based on discussion outlines assigned
Managers Leadership School - Division Manager level
Leadership Academy - Region/Corporate or Division Manager level

People policies are also discussed at District Staff Meetings and semi yearly Career Development Meetings for UPS management moves.

District HR will attend division/dept meetings at the request of a Division or Dept Head.

I don't have an answer for your big question, I can only speak from my experiences, and not for the organization or specific areas of responsiblity.

I will say over the years, most of the UPS management I worked with had decent people skills.

Now there is the occasional management person, who likes to throw their weight around, but you have that anywhere at UPS, including hourly employees who do everything they can to buck the system, and those employees are few within the ranks of UPS hourly employees.

That's life!!

I disagree. Allowing hourly to purchase stock was the first "problem."

The second "problem" was allowing Teamsters back after they disrupted service in 1997.

You can talk all the rah-rah Casey stuff you want - he knew how to treat "employees" that proved themselves unworthy of employment - and he did it in SPADES - and in fact personally authored the contingency plan that UPS opted NOT to follow that would have replaced each one of you.

Going public was a move to prevent UPS from being spun off into a variety of companies through asset sales that were intended to operate using contractors.

It's still something they're going to be forced to do. It's just a matter of time. Tick-tock.
You gotta be kidding? The move to go public was most certainly one of the major factors that sent this company on a down hill spiral. I'll leave it up to you to prove me wrong.
It was the CEO (his name escapes me) of UPS that engineered the strike, he and all his negotiators knew damn well that the union was never going to submit a proposal like their "first, last and best and only offer" go to the rank and file. I'm not going to debate the intricacies of a multi employer pension, but at the time the union was not going to give that up. EVERYONE knew that from the get go. I know of plans made many months before the strike that were stagged to go into effect right after the strike ended, that were going to be blamed on the employees for striking. They (the company) knew it would go into a work stoppage, hell they planned it that way. Then in the end, the company's "second, best and last offer" was exactly as the union proposed.

I don't see how allowing the hourly employees to purchase stock was a mistake. I do know there were many management people unhappy about it though.

satellitedriver

It was the CEO (his name escapes me) of UPS that engineered the strike, he and all his negotiators knew damn well that the union was never going to submit a proposal like their "first, last and best and only offer" go to the rank and file.
Sorry to disagree with your opinion.
Carey engineered the strike, to try and combat the power struggle between himself and Hoffa.
He was up against a possible no confidence vote by the union and by an investigation by the government of trading union money to the democratic campaign for a donation to his election fund.
Ups's first offer, if taken, would have avoided the huge bale out that UPS had to supply to Central States to keep our pension solvent.
Thank you UPS, for to be willing to expense 6 billion dollars to protect my pension.
The CEO of UPS had to sign off on that amount of money.
What did the union have to sign off?
Jack, nada, nothing.
I know I am going to catch some heat for this post, but UPS saved my pension and I am grateful .

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ups's first offer, if taken, would have avoided the huge bale out that UPS had to supply to Central States to keep our pension solvent.
UPS's first "offer" in 1997, if taken would have allowed unlimited subcontracting at the discretion of the company. You wouldnt have a pension, because you wouldnt have a job.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Thank you UPS, for to be willing to expense 6 billion dollars to protect my pension.
The CEO of UPS had to sign off on that amount of money.
What did the union have to sign off?
Jack, nada, nothing.
I know I am going to catch some heat for this post, but UPS saved my pension and I am grateful .
UPS is getting that 6 billion back by screwing the part-timers who havent been hired yet.
Future new-hires have their starting wages frozen for the life of the contract, and will have to wait over a year for medical benefits. Progression has been lengthened.
It is naive to think that the CEO of UPS just "signed off" on 6 billion out of the kindness of his heart. It was a business decision, made with future profits in mind, nothing more. He doesnt care about you or your pension.

Cezanne

I believe that we are all missing the point about who was running the show with the Central States buyout and our current contract. Does anybody remember the Pension Reform Act of 2006 and how it pushed both the company and the union to early negotiations to prevent possible Federal intervention and mandated fines or penalties.

Does anybody know what the withdraw liability would of been for Central States was back in 1997? I would imagine it would of been alot cheaper than 6.1 billion, it could account for some of the deep bitterness expressed toward Carey and his strike action. The hate filled comment about us hourlies buying stock speaks for itself. The real time to own UPS stock was before it went public in the middle nineties, the only employees at that time to could purchase or given company stock at that time were in management. I believe the only exception to that rule was real old time hourly and or past participants in the UPS Thrift plan.

The question about controlling ethics in any power group would be answered by having true accountability for unethical and/or criminal activity. That is why it is so important that our company and union leadership plays by the rules. Case in point would be the ERON debacle, it just was not the handfull of corrupted, greedy executives that suffered, it also hurt alot more of the innocent employees who depended on their decisions.:greedy:

UPS Lifer

If I remember correctly the buyout was around 600 million back in '97. I could be wrong, but that is the figure I recall.

pretzel_man

UPS is getting that 6 billion back by screwing the part-timers who havent been hired yet.
Future new-hires have their starting wages frozen for the life of the contract, and will have to wait over a year for medical benefits. Progression has been lengthened.
It is naive to think that the CEO of UPS just "signed off" on 6 billion out of the kindness of his heart. It was a business decision, made with future profits in mind, nothing more. He doesnt care about you or your pension.

I think the pay for part timers is poor. I would like it higher.

Where does that money come from?

I find it interesting that you want to take credit for the good pay of full time drivers, but blame UPS for the poor pay of the part timers.

Isn't it all part of the same contract? I guess it wasn't important enough to either side.

P-Man

UPS Lifer

How do you screw some one that isn't hired yet?

The intent of the contract is designed for those folks who can vote at the time there is an offer.

If you hire on after the contract has been implemented you accept the terms of the contract. You are not getting screwed if you decide to work here. You make a conscience decision to accept the job. You can go elsewhere if you don't like the contract.