ethics in management

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
If arbitration is not what corporations are looking for, then why is any agreement you sign these days a waiver of your rights to sue, and you agree to handle any disputes with arbitration??????

It is a cheap way out for the company. What the heck dont you people understand? The company can not afford to keep defending itself against lawsuits, so now any agreement that anyone enters into with them will has the "giving up your rights to sue" clause in it. Casey was just way ahead of his time is all.

d

If ups can't afford defending lawsuits, then they probably can't afford fines implemented by the IRS, workman's comp, etc. Maybe they should start being more ethical in ALL of their dealings with employees, etc, it might save them money.

feeder53

ADKtrails
From what I see at work, ethics is only as ethical as the least ethical person in the chain of management. It usually gets less effective as it goes down the chain also. I have stood up for some of the issues and I find that they will not try to get you for your efforts, it just falls on deaf ears. After the first person get caught in an issue and looses his position, then everyone tows the line for a while.

Cezanne

Hey, Congratulations! You're one of the few people who thought Expelled! had any value as a documentary :happy2:.

It's currently pulling an 11% on Rotten Tomatoes (ouch!)

Even Fox News gives it the gangland beatdown:

I may catch it on netflix just for the entertainment value..

In just skimming the Fox review, with it's bias and name calling pretty much validates the premise of the movie. Just depends to what side of the fence you are on this issue. I just love the part when the highly educated reviewer puts down most of middle america as poor and uneducated, and we are listening to these people to judge what movie is forth supporting. Me do think S0.:wink2:

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Even though I have been with UPS a short amount of time people, both hourly and management have realized that you treat me with respect, and not like a dog. I will be there for you no matter what the crisis or problem in both your professional and personal life to help in anyway I can.

Treat me like a dog, and I'll confront your :censored2: off property person to person see if you have the testicles to talk your smack when you are all alone with no witness.

I am even understanding when someone goes "off the handle" cursing me etc. Sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment. If you don't come up later and say something like, "hey man I am sorry, I've been under pressure yadda yadda yadda," the I will put my arm around you and say hey, "Its all right, no problem" and it will be a dead issue.

You go off the handle on me and not apologize, give you the opportunity to go into a locked room with no windows and no witnesses to give you a chance to talk your smack.

How do you get in a locked room with no windows ?
:anxious:
after you've given me a chance to talk smack will you show me yours if i show you mine oooh tough guys are such a turn on i get all weak at the knees !

barcelona2008

intimidation vs. encouragement
ign,he jumped up quick and closed his bulkhead door,smiled I guess Im venting because at our ctr we have a new little Hitler,and I dont like him.I wish he'd stay in his bunker.

Hi there !
Just left UPS after 17 years in Europe, and you nailed the issue here; I was in Management for 12 of these years and the goal of the top management is to beat people to do their outmost for UPS. you don´t have to think about treating people fair or inspire them to greatness, you will be moving up in the kiss-butt line within the next year or so !!
Not fitting into the "Hitler" criteria, I was offered to leave the company. When I told my Team, some of them actually cried.
I feel awfull as I know the next center manager coming will take out the wip and make them bleed.
UPS has been over the last few years only looking at the quarterly reports and not planning or investing for the long term view, this will be coming clearer to the management when UPS will loose more and more dedicated people all around the world.
Sitting now with my family and being very pleased without the verbal abuses I received on a daily basis.
I´m sure Jim Cassey is looking with horror to what UPS has become.

feeder53

ADKtrails
Everyone has the right to their thoughs, and pers. opinion. They can say what they will but I know my ethics and I would just listen and say I hear you. I know my job and I always do my best.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I am, and have been a Teamster for many years and have a pension coming from them in a few years. I work part time for UPS as a feeder driver and I enjoy the work and I am not in it for the benefits, College, or any other reason but to pick up some extra cash and add to that retirement. I try to understand management, the Union, and the personalities involved in every day work environments and it is a complex mix. We all depend on this system to keep us employed, make a fair days wage and to further the companies that advance the Teamsters union. I have worked at a number of other union shops and they all have these same issues and personalities so it is not unique to UPS. The Military has a lot of these same issues and they are even more entrenched in the old ways.

UPS Lifer

I am, and have been a Teamster for many years and have a pension coming from them in a few years. I work part time for UPS as a feeder driver and I enjoy the work and I am not in it for the benefits, College, or any other reason but to pick up some extra cash and add to that retirement. I try to understand management, the Union, and the personalities involved in every day work environments and it is a complex mix. We all depend on this system to keep us employed, make a fair days wage and to further the companies that advance the Teamsters union. I have worked at a number of other union shops and they all have these same issues and personalities so it is not unique to UPS. The Military has a lot of these same issues and they are even more entrenched in the old ways.

. I agree with you. These issues are not unique to UPS and when you put the issues on the table for a company of 400,000 plus employees. This company fares very well!

However, there is a unique characteristic that has some impact on what you say.

The uniqueness that I refer to is the fact that a big % of people that work at UPS started at a very young age. This is the only real job they know and can only compare what they have seen in the workplace as an employee of UPS. A lot of folks start as a PT employee and continue into the FT ranks. It is tough to have any perspective on what is happening in other companies or the military, if you have not experienced it.

feeder53

ADKtrails
That is very true, good point. It took me years to "see correctly" on a number of issues. I still see things a little diferent in todays environment too...seems to be a constant period of growth....

Dutch Dawg

GRiff you need to work on your reading skills. the post you quoted was where I pointed out your cowardly tactic of standing in the back row and provoking others.

Tie, I only chose this quote because it was your most recent one in this thread, not to cite it as an example.

Reading thru this long thread as best I could, I couldn't help but notice a good many of your posts have become cynical, and somewhat more abrasive in nature. Is that indicitave of your current relationship with people while on the job or do you exercise a certain freedom here to express what may be pent up in you?

I realize managers are only people, but they are non the less in leadership roles that should exhibit a higher standard that others should hope to obtain. While many may disagree, some might even say that's an ethical standard. Something that I hope you'll give thought to in the future.

tieguy

Banned
Tie, I only chose this quote because it was your most recent one in this thread, not to cite it as an example.

Reading thru this long thread as best I could, I couldn't help but notice a good many of your posts have become cynical, and somewhat more abrasive in nature. Is that indicitave of your current relationship with people while on the job or do you exercise a certain freedom here to express what may be pent up in you?

I realize managers are only people, but they are non the less in leadership roles that should exhibit a higher standard that others should hope to obtain. While many may disagree, some might even say that's an ethical standard. Something that I hope you'll give thought to in the future.

Dawg you're question is skillfully posed to give me two options neither which are desirable. Was that your intent?

I stand by my points that define me. I am and have always been honest , brutally so at times. If you are looking for a manager who sugercoats things then you will have to look past me.:happy-very:

I don't believe that violates your higher standard rule in fact I believe it reinforces that rule. But keep in mind I don't know you and I really have to interests in appeasing you or living by your rules.

You have the right to disagree with me and I have the right to be disagreeable...:)

joe416

This is a discription of the UPS that I work at;
Woman and Blacks are discriminated against. Most of the black people are in unload and the management joke that they are too dumb to do anything else.
Anti-diversity-
Sabatoge promotions
Reactive Management-Make temporary changes when corporate visits.
Union Steward tell the little people to handle problems themselves
Seniority discrimination- They hire people and advance them over the seniority workers because they either are friends of someone or dating.
We have one girl who brags that she got a data act position because our plant manager has a crush on her and they are dating. There were no bids on the position and the Union Steward got her the job and promoted her over everyone else.
The Union Steward calls the Manager his son and they both are buddies in lying and manipulation and they tell you upfront "They don't care." like little immature children.
They plant packages on trucks intentionally<Misloads to mess with the drivers or test them to see if they call in misloads all at the customers expense. The they write up the preloader so they can fire or manipulate them. If you get hurt they threaten to fire you if you file a comp claim or if you go on restriction.

They call the area manager a dyke and an embarrassment because she showed up at a UPS Christmas dinner with her girlfriend and they bad mouth her, until she shows up with their bonus checks and they are like children following the ice cream truck.
They lie to everyone about anything and make promises they will never keep.
If you want a position, you have to tell them you don't want it and you'll get it and you have to say you love the job, you really don't want.
It's so true and then again; Almost unbelievable. I am sure Casey is rolling in their graves.
The Obama support is to counteract the discrimination against blacks or some kind of organized unlawful reason.

:knockedout:

Ibt804Hammer

You have your land and your house because of the teamster negioated contract that was bargained on all of our behalf. You are out for only yourself and thats fine, as a steward i have to defend your rights under the contract but as a fellow man i would walk over your dying body if you laid in the street in front of me. I mean that whole heartly!

amen

Braveheart

They took my old truck to crush it so I asked a sup to please put the other old beast I had that day into the permanent carwash lineup. I asked politely and professionally without talking about how old or crappy the trucks were. Without provocation or reason the sup smarts off by saying that is not my job and why what do you care it makes it an adventure.

I said maybe you might like driving a different truck everyday but I think having a different truck means different braking, shifting, clutch, E-brake, step height, seat comfort, different acceleration, etc etc etc

I would think that the safety department would agree that giving a driver the same truck daily reduces injuries and accidents.

The sups just hate their job and take it out on us.

IT is written in the official UPS POLICY BOOK
We Assign the Same Equipment to Each Employee
Every Day Whenever Possible
. We retain flexibility in the
matching of equipment to the requirements of the job. Wherever
practical, the same equipment should be assigned to each
employee every day.
This results in employees feeling more responsible for the
care of equipment and for reporting any special attention
equipment may require. For example, drivers come to know
their UPS vehicles as they do their personal cars and take
the same pride in them.
Sure don't happen wher I come from unless you are....well, never mind.

Braveheart

DS

The hitlers come and go. And when they are gone, you will still be doing the same job you did when they got there.

I always looked at it this way. I work for UPS, not you. I will still be working for UPS when you are gone. THat made the harrassment easier to take.

d
I have personally witnessed 6 center managers quit, 10 on roads quit, 3 preload managers quit, 1 reload manager quit, and a few others fired as well. Some of those that quit were forced to quit as well. We have had a good number of others forced to transfer as well too.

I do my job and I do not worry about how fast I go. I do not milk it, but I do not run it off either. Just one stop at a time. I have been lied to and wronged so many times that I will never trust the managers again. I give the newer guys the benefit of the doubt until they wrong me an then it is over.

Rofl you guys are funny aruging over this. LOL. I mean come on ask your self.....is ups a really ethnical company.....They told us supervisors to stop cussing at employees yet the full time bosses come over and cuss at us. So its very funny to here them say dont cuss yet they cuss at us lol. So you gotta realize this is just a part of ups life. they discriminate aginist you they humilate you. They make fun of you. They find your weakness and point them out to everyone in the room and then they act like your buddy the next day and say its all good and fun :/ Just gotta learn ups is ups and ups will never change........Expically since the new contract is coming out......fulltimes think people are gonna wanna work for ups at 9.50 with no insurance....There goign to get in there and start unloading boxes in 120 degree heat in summer time and be like SCEW this then theres going to be no one to work for ups they gonna make supervisor swork till they redue the contract and get it fixed.....I probably should bet money this going to hapen