Everyone Gets a Helper This Year

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My management team has decided that ALL drivers in my center will get a helper this year.
I run a very rural route where a helper is not beneficial at all.
Today we pounded out 43 stops in just over five hours.
I put on an extra 28 miles driving to pick him up and later do the drop off.
At least my feet were warm half the day!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
My management team has decided that ALL drivers in my center will get a helper this year.
Its going to be crazy, take the jumper and be happy you have someone doing a lot of the work for ya. Maybe use reverse strategy and actually get some down time and rest behind the wheel while a lot of us may get the hardcore Bully Beatdown this peak lol.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
One year they forced a helper on me when I told them I didn't need one. Ran over an hour late. The next day they told me that I didn't use the helper right so "no helper for you." You can't win.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In terms of actual decision making, your "management team"doesnt even get to decide for themselves which hand to wipe their butts with. The people you report to are not even managers in a true sense, they are plan facilitators and they plans they facilitate are NOT their own. The important, relevant operational decisions such as how many routes or helpers to dispatch on a given day are being made by people in a cubicle someplace that you will never meet and who know little or nothing about your job or your delivery area.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

You will enjoy it in bad weather too.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

I like you am very rural. So far no helper for me. I will probably get one next Tuesday. It's about you not getting tired. Keep your feet dry. Only time I get off the truck is for lunch around 2 pm.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
My helper today complained about being overweight. Complained about his acne. Complained about having to cut his hair for the job. Complained about having college loan debt. Complained about not having a girlfriend. Complained about having to get his dad to drive 20 miles to drop him off to meet me.
I was happy to tell him I would be glad to talk with the helper coordinator and find him a route closer to his home. ;-)
What a loser!!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
My helper today complained about being overweight. Complained about his acne. Complained about having to cut his hair for the job. Complained about having college loan debt. Complained about not having a girlfriend. Complained about having to get his dad to drive 20 miles to drop him off to meet me.
I was happy to tell him I would be glad to talk with the helper coordinator and find him a route closer to his home. ;-)
What a loser!!
relax ! Have a beer!!!!!!
“You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw, you should watch yo mouth: cause I'll break yo face.”

50 Cent

image.jpg

joeboodog

What a loser!!
If you ask the coordinator to switch you are going to be stuck with him for the duration. I have been stuck with the same helper for two years and the coordinator said he will be my helper again this year. I keep telling them to put him on a heavy residential route because he runs like a bunny but he is totally lost on the diad. The coordinator told me that he requested to be my helper. I guess the wishes of a three year seasonal helper out weigh the needs of a thirty year veteran.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I have never trained my helper to use the board. I put the 40 stops. (Funny, it was 20 a couple yrs ago. 30 last yr) in the board. Then throw it on a shelf. As the helper is delivering. I'm pre recording. Usually have the whole thing sheeted by 3 pm. I stop complete each one at the stop be fore leaving

joeboodog

I have never trained my helper to use the board. I put the 40 stops. (Funny, it was 20 a couple yrs ago. 30 last yr) in the board. Then throw it on a shelf. As the helper is delivering. I'm pre recording. Usually have the whole thing sheeted by 3 pm. I stop complete each one at the stop be fore leaving
He won't clarify signatures but he can text his thumbs off.

Overpaid Union Thug

They made me use a helper on a rural peak route last year and it looks like it will happen this year too. I absolutely positively cannot stand dealing with helpers. If I'm on a dense residential route and can pick them up and drop them off without losing more than a few minutes of drive time each way then MAYBE it's worth the effort. Those types of routes are stuffed like an obese man on Thanksgiving Day though and the helper ends up spending half the day waiting for me to sort through piles of packages before I can find the next stop. They usually can't help either because there is not enough room for both of us and they don't how to sort. And it doesn't help that dispatchers are too lazy to split the sequence number ranges so that no two package have the same SPA number.

By the time we've taken a big enough chunk out of the load for me to sort quickly while they deliver it's almost time to break away and drop them off. I've had some good helpers and mostly bad. But in either case they usually don't save the amount of time that the corporate overlords think they do.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
...If I'm on a dense residential route and can pick them up and drop them off without losing more than a few minutes of drive time each way then MAYBE it's worth the effort. Those types of routes are stuffed like an obese man on Thanksgiving Day though and the helper ends up spending half the day waiting for me to sort through piles of packages before I can find the next stop.
This is why I don't use a helper like management tells us to. I use them as jumpers. I sort and record while they take the pkgs to the door. There's virtually no helper wait time this way. I only get off the truck when I get ahead in my sorting or when there is a bulk stop or over 70 the helper may need help with.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If they want to force a helper on me...great. I could use the company, and the helper could use the money. Just don't get all butthurt and freaked out when I wind up being 5 hours overallowed instead of 1 or 2.

joeboodog

If they want to force a helper on me...great. I could use the company, and the helper could use the money. Just don't get all butthurt and freaked out when I wind up being 5 hours overallowed instead of 1 or 2.
And if you run out of biscuits....just saying.