Express Premium Pay Elimination - What You Need to Know

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Here is a question for everyone and especially RTD.
Our afternoon CTV driver gets to our sta. at least 2.5 hrs. early.
He only takes a 1 hr. lunch during the day (I don't know when) but, he's in a code 39 for the 2+ hrs. that he is early and doing nothing. I'm sure he is making much more than a topped out CRR at our sta. but, X can't pay us split shift?

As Ricochet1a and I have pointed out, they don't really want to mess with the RTD's too much, although I hear that they(the RTDs') are not very happy since many of them work hours that qualify for the soon-to-be-ended shift premiums. These are the people we really need to take some action because they have direct control over a large amount of freight.
Imagine the chaos if a large percentage of the RTD's in your area decided to park and go have breakfast or "break down"? I really think that Fred has gone one step too far this time and that people are going to start acting out/behaving badly. We aren't going to get a union, and even the die-hards are beginning to see their mistake in being so obedient and "believing" for so long. They have us in a hammerlock, but we don't have to like it, and there are things we can do to mess-up the operation.

fedex_rtd

No the RTD's as a group are pissed off right now. But like all the other FedEx employees we have our hands tied. I went to the Teamsters last week, I did not hear the news I wanted to hear. 1. RTD's are in the same work class as the rest of the hourly employees, so we "can't" do this union thing on our own. 2. The teamsters are working on another FedEx unit and we are not a promising priority for them at this time.

Fred picks his battles well, put that carrot in front of you and then slips the knife between your ribs from behind.

By the way how do you post photos on this side from a mac?

Ricochet1a

No the RTD's as a group are pissed off right now. But like all the other FedEx employees we have our hands tied. I went to the Teamsters last week, I did not hear the news I wanted to hear. 1. RTD's are in the same work class as the rest of the hourly employees, so we "can't" do this union thing on our own. 2. The teamsters are working on another FedEx unit and we are not a promising priority for them at this time.

Fred picks his battles well, put that carrot in front of you and then slips the knife between your ribs from behind.

By the way how do you post photos on this side from a mac?

I'm glad to hear there are current FedEx employees conferring with IBT representatives. I detailed my experiences last year regarding whether or not the IBT was the only option for Express employees in this forum.

Railroad Labor Act Overview

This is the official DOT overview of what the RLA does/doesn't and basic procedures for employees covered under RLA rules. It gives a good, concise picture of the situation that Express employees are faced with concerning organizing.

"Class and Craft" has been a term of contention ever since the RLA was institued back in the 1920s. The response you received from the IBT wasn't exactly accurate though.

In labor organizing history, "craft" has a very specific definition - those performing a substantially similiar work, who are interchangable with each other in terms of capability and function - one RTD (or Courier) performs like work functions with other RTDs and are essentially interchangable.

"Class" is a bit more broad in definition. For example, aircraft mechanics are included in the same class of employees as those who fuel aircraft, clean them and perform other related tasks - they are grouped under the "ground service personnel" class of employees.

When it comes to labor organizing, the RLA has stated craft OR class - it was left deliberately vague by Congress when the Act was written (leave it to lawyers to "build in" vagueness - it gives future lawyers something to make a living over).

Labor attempts to use the narrower definition of craft, corporations try to use the larger definition of class to make the labor pool larger (more difficult to organize). There is no strict guideline as to which the NLB will use in determining what a work unit is and who is eligible to vote to certify.

Express would definately like to have ALL wage employees included into a single class - it would make organizing even more difficult. However, there are distinctions in work patterns, skill levels and work locations as to make each craft the base bargaining unit for purposes of organizing (Couriers, RTDs, Ramp Agents, Mechanics, etc.). If there ever was a request for an election, Express might be able to lump Couriers in with RTDs, since they each operate a motor vehicle as their primary job function; but lumping Couriers with Ramp Agents would be a stretch.

The IBT is DEFINITELY working on another FedEx opco right now.... Freight. Freight has the best chance of organizing since Fred cannot possibly get it under RLA in his wildest dreams (it is NLRA), and the drivers there are getting pissed off at the antics of FedEx too. If there is any one FedEx opco that has a chance of organizing, it is Freight - and that is where the IBT is focusing their energy.

The Express mechanics receive enough "pays" to keep their overall compensation substantially close to unionized shop norms (not saying they are paid union wages, they are just close enough to keep a majority of mechanics from signing that little card). This keeps them from attempting to petition for a certification election.

The Couriers.... well, I hate to say this, but a substantial majority of them (not all, just a substantial majority) are useful idiots. They are useful to Fred in that they get his volume moved, and they are idiots in that they don't know just how they are getting screwed by FedEx. They aren't going to be the first to certify the union by any stretch.

That leaves the RTDs. They know what is going on, they communicate with other non-FedEx drivers and know what industry norms are regarding compensation. If there is going to be any group of Express employees (other than the pilots) who will have even a remote chance of certifying a union (or just getting an election petition) - it will be the RTDs.

This is why I still believe that the elimination of shift pay was something the FedEx legal department forced on FedEx management - and FedEx screwed up in how they tried to present the change forced on the company by its legal department (they fumbled with their lie). FedEx management knows that this is causing problems and will cook up some form of solution before too long - before they have a full scale riot on their hands. They know that if they piss off the RTDs, that the operation could and would grind to a halt and they'd have a massive PR debacle on their hands.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is my first post here

I have spent over a quarter of a century with this company. I used to be loyal to a fault, but now FedSux can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned and I'm more than happy to help it get there.

I will tank the next SFA...everything will show up at the bottom and I ask all my fellow inmates to consider doing the same

As an overnight RTD, I'm affected by this latest piece of B.S. coming out of the purple cesspool, and rest assured I will be putting Mr.FedEx's vision of chaos into action. I'm imploring all my felllow RTDs out there to please do the same. Let's not allow their deceptions to go without consequences any further. Or do we sit back and just continue to let them stick it to us and smile?

That's right, screw you Fred and all your stupid minions..Way to go, hosing over those who helped build this company to where it is today.

I have wasted nearly my entire adult life here. How I wish I could turn back the calendar and never ever have walked into the front door of that pathetic, cobbled-together, dog-patch joke of an office with the Federal Express sign propped up against the wall so many years ago.

What a complete and total waste of a life..Now I'm too old to start anything else

Burn in hell, FedEx

Thanks for your post. The RTD's I've been talking to in my area aren't very happy either. I have been an RTD before, and there are lots of ways to mess-up the system. I think they already know the next SFA is going to be bad...and they don't care. Even if everyone checked-off the entire right side, they'd still invent whatever numbers they wanted to in order to show that employees are "happy". In other words, a big effing lie.

Ricochet1a

Did some more checking, and it does look like FedEx exec management yanked the 2nd and 3rd shift pay premium on their own - NO mandate from their legal department.

For split shift pay, things are still a bit murky.

There is NO legal mandate to pay 2nd or 3rd shift pay. These are incentive pays that were discontinued for new hires after 2003. Part of Express' talking points in terminating 2nd and 3rd shift pay is that less than half of employees working those shifts now get shift pay anyway - since they were hired before the 2003 cutoff. So in their eyes, they are "leveling the playing field" between those hired before and after 2003 (just another takeaway...)

So regarding 2nd and 3rd shift pay - it does look to be more "vindictiveness" more than anything else. They have their RLA classification firmly locked into place along with a change in the voting requirements, so had nothing holding them back regarding taking away this form of incentive pay.

As others have pointed out, the mechanics still receive all of their incentive pays. They are still a high risk group for unionizing against FedEx - and they weren't tossed under the bus this time around.

So regarding 2nd and 3rd shift pay - it was simply a case of Express cashing in on getting the RLA status secured and a change in the voting requirements for union elections to be held. There is no other explanation for Express yanking these incentive pays.

If the numbers I have are correct, only about 5% of the Express wage workforce quailified for 2nd or 3rd shift pay. In Express' "eyes", this is a small enough group to not worry about pissing off.

They are expecting a rise in "mechanical failures" and other forms of work slowdowns and will be meeting that with Warning Letters and outright terminations if they can prove service failures are linked to deliberate work slowdowns.

Be Careful...

Ricochet1a

California does require split shift pay from all employers - so Calfornia employees who do a split shift this week will see just how Express handles that bit of state law (which differs from many other states). So much for Express not being able to "correctly code in variations".

Since I know there are California based employees on this board - they will be able to state next week how their split shift was handled (should any of them actually work a split shift THIS week).

Since Express employees are paid above California state minimum wage -just how pay for a split shift in California will be calculated is a bit murky. The California law is aimed at minimum wage workers coming in for a couple of hours, being let go for a few hours, then coming back in later in the day. There is a method by which higher wage employees have their split pay calculated - but the process is a bit convoluted.

Most on this board know that California requires paid breaks if someone's shift lasts beyond a certain period of time - this is in addition to any unpaid break. FedEx handles getting those in quite easily. For those who didn't know this, your California based coworkers get either 15 or 30 minutes of paid break time (depending on how long they are on the clock) - while most of you DON'T. So FedEx has NO PROBLEM handling more restrictive state labor laws regarding paid breaks - while not giving the same benefit to its employees in states not covered by such labor protection.

As far as what they will take away next - who knows. The only thing holding them back now is if the turnover rate starts to cost them more than they are saving on lowering compensation. I honestly don't see that becoming a problem for Express now or in the near term.

There has been a trend towards adding Service Assurance Agents to stations to act as quasi Assistant Managers. They are doing most of the administrative work that operations managers were tasked with - thus freeing up these managers to do more "hands on" managing. Many of these SAAs are former ops managers themselves, who have stepped down to take a position that is less stressful - but which benefits from their years of experience on the job (talked to a few myself). I think the recent potential addition of sort leaders to the stations is along the same course of action by Express - reducing the workload on ops managers.

If Express ever does start to experience high levels of turnover (I'm thinking Express is actually trying to get turnover right now, just to get rid of employees in mid progression) - the ops managers will be spending more time in interviewing, training, checkrides and auditing than they currently are doing. By having SAAs doing many of the administrative tasks and potentially sort leaders running that - the ops managers will be freed up to do these other tasks.

XFILED

California does require split shift pay from all employers - so Calfornia employees who do a split shift this week will see just how Express handles that bit of state law (which differs from many other states). So much for Express not being able to "correctly code in variations".

Since I know there are California based employees on this board - they will be able to state next week how their split shift was handled (should any of them actually work a split shift THIS week).

Since Express employees are paid above California state minimum wage -just how pay for a split shift in California will be calculated is a bit murky. The California law is aimed at minimum wage workers coming in for a couple of hours, being let go for a few hours, then coming back in later in the day. There is a method by which higher wage employees have their split pay calculated - but the process is a bit convoluted.

Most on this board know that California requires paid breaks if someone's shift lasts beyond a certain period of time - this is in addition to any unpaid break. FedEx handles getting those in quite easily. For those who didn't know this, your California based coworkers get either 15 or 30 minutes of paid break time (depending on how long they are on the clock) - while most of you DON'T. So FedEx has NO PROBLEM handling more restrictive state labor laws regarding paid breaks - while not giving the same benefit to its employees in states not covered by such labor protection.

We get two 10 minute paid breaks..One for every 4 hours of work or a major fraction thereof...
Last week our Sr. Mgr told us split shift pay was gone this week but I took a split one day this week so ill let you know next Friday when I see my check if they truely took it away...

Since I CANNOT post a photo on this site, I will have to hand type this, so excuse the typos.
This is a typed out copy of a memo that showed up in my mail box at my station after I talked to some mechanics and some other drivers from other stations that have talked to their mechanics. I think that everything in here is really true.

Manager Discussion Points (Maintenance and Related Hourly only)

Effective March 25, 2012 we will make some important changes in the way shift premiums are paid within the company's maintenance organizations.

For employees in the various maintenance job codes, shift premiums, RII and Acting Lead will now be paid across all hours worked in a week if the employee performs work in any of those premium-eligible shifts during the week. The highest shift premium rate applicable for the week ( split shift, 2nd shift, or 3rd shift) will be applied to all hours worked for that week.

No changes are being made to other premiums. License premiums are being retained and will continue to be paid against total hours paid.

Hours used in premium calculations, not premium dollar amounts, will be reflected on the HRSPAID and HRSRPTED screens in PRISM AS OTHER HOURS.

Hours used for weekly calculations will be shown on a single day. Individual premium hours, not dollars, will also be shown on the PREMHRS screen.

Shift premium eligibility and related policy information will no longer be found in the People Manual (PM 3-35). Instead, it will be placed in the reference manual listed below by the end of 1Q 2013.

Aircraft Maintenance Administrative Manual

Sort/Facilities Best Practices

This is all the information we have been provided on these changes, but if you have any questions that I haven't covered, let me know and I will try to find you an answer from H.R or Compensation.

These are my words now: As you can tell the mechanics are going to keep their shift pays. Any excuses that management trys to tell you about the computers not being able to meet with what the state of California has put out is a complete lie. I would urge each of you to find some time to ask your mechanic about this memo, don't trust me on this...read the real thing for yourself if you are on good terms with your mechanics it should not be a problem for you.

Ricochet1a

We get two 10 minute paid breaks..One for every 4 hours of work or a major fraction thereof...
Last week our Sr. Mgr told us split shift pay was gone this week but I took a split one day this week so ill let you know next Friday when I see my check if they truely took it away...

I was thinking 15 per min 4 hours - thanks for the clarification. Still a hell of a lot better than most only getting their unpaid break - and that is as long as they don't burn commit time or PU times....

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I overheard one of our former managers, who left to be a senior in California, was visiting and I overheard him say that this was about employees not being able to read their check stubs properly and it cost the company over $8,000,000.

whenIgetthere

Maybe the maroons that run this company can just have us PUNCH in, and PUNCH out like the rest of the industrialized/civilized world! I've been here for 13 years, and code 40 has ALWAYS been 7 minutes per day (one station was 4 for pre-trip, 3 for post-trip, my other station 5 pre-trip, 2 post-trip), now DM wants 6 minutes per day, 4 and 2! WTF, can they nickle and dime us anymore! This along with the 3 minutes for code 56, they want everyone off the clock 5 minutes after RTB, it takes me more than that to label my PUPS (after I've walked back to gatekeeper to get printer), because the station doesn't have enough printer batteries to issue me a printer in the morning. Also, code 39 cannot be used anymore! I'll have to find out what codes the two butt kissers/managers pets who are on the clock two hours a day doing nothing will be using.

Then the Ground driver looks in my truck at 1030 today and says "Are you going back for another load", I won't repeat on here what I told the idiot, but safe to say I deliver more packages before 1030 than he delivers all day! OK, venting over! lol

Mom

:grouphugg:I delivered 409 packages today, between the hours of 8am and 11:45am. The largest of which were several pieces of unassembled furniture which significantly outweighed me. Luckily I have ant-like strength. I had a few envelopes for one stop, it was a nice break. ;)

Mom

Well, I hope he was just trying to razz you a little. I like to pick on (and get picked on) by the UPS drivers and other freight/truckers on my routes...but the Express guys/gals do seem to get a bit 'testy' at times. I chalk it up to their tight timelines and continue on my merry way.