Express volume finally moving to Ground...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
MR. FEDEX told us years ago, this was the plan all along. Others here said he didn't know what he was talking about but now we know better.
MF said it was supposed to be announced in September of 2012 and had been claiming since 2009 that it was coming any minute now.

It was never much of a consideration until the explosion of ecommerce and it wasn't a serious consideration until later in 2019. It was announced in February of 2020.

He "knew what he was talking about" like my buddy does on our Vegas trips and he's at a dice table yelling "Here comes snake eyes" every roll for an hour and then it's rolled.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
SFA is critically flawed in that its not anonymous and managers directly ask you to rate them perfectly- which puts social pressure and retliation fears on the employee.Perfect ratings distort the purpose the SFA and allows bad managers to hang on a little longer than they should
It is anonymous and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. Anyone who feels pressured and fears retaliation is equally an idiot who doesn't know his @ss from a hole in the ground.

MAKAVELI

It is anonymous and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. Anyone who feels pressured and fears retaliation is equally an idiot who doesn't know his @ss from a hole in the ground.
Anonymous. Lol
You have to log on a FedEx computer with your employee number and password. Get the fuuc out of here.

falcon back

While you are anonymous when you take it. They know when you signed on, which terminal you signed on to. Just before I retired, we had a manager terminated for taking the survey using employees screens that never took the test. When we were called in during the investigation, HR matched time card entries to terminal sign in times and knew what responses that terminal gave. Meaning they can match your terminal to your answers. The terminated managers mistake was taking the survey for the employees when their timecard and IIb23 showed they were on-road. One employee was even on vacation. They can match answers to employees if they want to. You will deny this but these are the facts.

fatboy33

MF said it was supposed to be announced in September of 2012 and had been claiming since 2009 that it was coming any minute now.

It was never much of a consideration until the explosion of ecommerce and it wasn't a serious consideration until later in 2019. It was announced in February of 2020.

He "knew what he was talking about" like my buddy does on our Vegas trips and he's at a dice table yelling "Here comes snake eyes" every roll for an hour and then it's rolled.
You well know it was logistics and staffing enough ground people to roll out the new system. Not to mention world events than delayed. But....yeah. He was right and good on him.

fedx

Extra Large Package

We had a similar 'cultural survey' annual feedback at my old job years ago. My old company claimed they were anonymous answers-just like FedEx (and all companies for that matter). Well our director gave her boss, who was a VP, a not so great review. She got fired for it. Turned out her anonymous answers weren't so anonymous after all. I heard she was going to sue the company over it, but not sure if she actually followed through or what became of it. She got another executive job not long afterwards.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I'm just curious if everyone throughout the country is seeing the dramatic reduction in Express volume? It seems as though the volume they spoke about moving to Ground several years ago before the pandemic started is finally started to move to Ground. I suppose their grand plan of moving us into Ground facilities is starting to shape up in their eyes.

I keep hearing how Express stations are going to merge with Ground stations in the near future. Apparently it's already starting to happen in some places. You know why too-it's so Ground can get to those 'last mile optimization' (LMO) packages faster and easier. Instead of the RTD driving Express LMO stuff to a different Ground station, just take it to the same spot you're taking Express packages. FedEx sees that as efficient taking it to one location instead of two. However, the blending of the two companies might eventually lead to some judge somewhere determining that Ground workers are actually company employees because FedEx is no longer separate in operations and not performing like separate companies anymore.

Thesearecrazytimes

Managers at my station were putting so much pressure on employees to participate in the SFA, they were pulling them off the sort to do so. And they would ask everyone daily if they had done the SFA. Dano, is there a way management can go in and see the SFA results in real time? I really don't know but if that's the case, they could watch on their screen as that employee participates in the SFA "anonymously." I am not an idiot but I did not trust Fedex. I have been the recipient of retaliation from Fedex about another issue. It was real.

Aquaman

Managers at my station were putting so much pressure on employees to participate in the SFA, they were pulling them off the sort to do so. And they would ask everyone daily if they had done the SFA. Dano, is there a way management can go in and see the SFA results in real time? I really don't know but if that's the case, they could watch on their screen as that employee participates in the SFA "anonymously." I am not an idiot but I did not trust Fedex. I have been the recipient of retaliation from Fedex about another issue. It was real.
Managment in my station has tried to schedule our SFA time in the past. Everyone was pretty aware of what they were doing and just took it whenever they wanted lol.

McFeely

Huge Member
Managment in my station has tried to schedule our SFA time in the past. Everyone was pretty aware of what they were doing and just took it whenever they wanted lol.

Ours are scheduled for us too. I’ve seen so little of the “A” in SFA that I’m not bothering anymore. I don’t think we’ve had a follow up SFA meeting in at least 3 years.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Fred S = Vladimir Putin.
Pretty much. All Fred cares about is money. The angle here should be violation of the RLA, where FedEx is moving the freight under the RLA and then "last miling" it with Ground, which is NLRB.

Smith wants it all and thinks he's above the law.

He isn't.

yadig

Haven’t took sfa in 15 years. I won’t ever take it again! It’s a joke! The real changes will only happen when we vote a union in here.

Bald1der

I keep hearing how Express stations are going to merge with Ground stations in the near future. Apparently it's already starting to happen in some places. You know why too-it's so Ground can get to those 'last mile optimization' (LMO) packages faster and easier. Instead of the RTD driving Express LMO stuff to a different Ground station, just take it to the same spot you're taking Express packages. FedEx sees that as efficient taking it to one location instead of two. However, the blending of the two companies might eventually lead to some judge somewhere determining that Ground workers are actually company employees because FedEx is no longer separate in operations and not performing like separate companies anymore.
Although I agree that the company is going to have Ground deliver as much freight as possible, I think shifts in the labor market are driving this decision too.

My managers said 2 weeks ago they were told to make this announcement by "the chairman." They framed it around continued volume growth, labor availability, hub staffing, and hub throughput. One manager even made the assertion that Express will deliver Ground volume in failing areas, and it has been done in other markets in the country.

It's stupid, it's redundant, I get it. But the company keeping employee couriers on hand makes sense in terms of the optics and operations of a functioning company. A Ground driver at one of my stops told me she wants a job where she doesn't have to show up on time or make deliveries by certain times. If that is a common sentiment the company will still need employees.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Although I agree that the company is going to have Ground deliver as much freight as possible, I think shifts in the labor market are driving this decision too.

My managers said 2 weeks ago they were told to make this announcement by "the chairman." They framed it around continued volume growth, labor availability, hub staffing, and hub throughput. One manager even made the assertion that Express will deliver Ground volume in failing areas, and it has been done in other markets in the country.

It's stupid, it's redundant, I get it. But the company keeping employee couriers on hand makes sense in terms of the optics and operations of a functioning company. A Ground driver at one of my stops told me she wants a job where she doesn't have to show up on time or make deliveries by certain times. If that is a common sentiment the company will still need employees.
FedEx Express is failing miserably in terms of service. Due to Covid and current worldwide logistical demands, Fred is still raking in the profits in spite of having a horribly mismanaged company. I still monitor this site and stay in contact with former co-workers, both management and labor. The company continues to fail "up" due to Fred's "gift" of the pandemic. If you'll recall, Express was on the ropes before Covid and a prime takeover target. There were lots of rumors about Amazon or even WalMart buying Express and adapting the operation to their needs. Covid changed the dynamic overnight and literally threw Smith a golden lifeline.

In typical fashion, he has exploited the opportunity to it's fullest, sticking steadfastly to his mantra of shortchanging employees in pursuit of profit for himself and the upper echelon. Overall, you've seen very little trickle down to frontline employees, and the Step Plan remains firmly in place. Wages and benefits have never kept pace at FedEx, and even in the current environment, that continues to be the case.

The revolving door makes it really difficult to organize Express, and Smith knows this. He still has his precious RLA and lots of compliant politicians willing to do his bidding. He doesn't need to pay "industry leading" (LOFL) wages because he knows most people stay a year or two. RTD's don't even stay that long. The end result is that many employees aren't "in the long game", and don't really care about making the company a career.

If you're stuck at FedEx for whatever reason, I urge you to explore unionization. It's really your only ticket to a better career, better wages and benefits, and an improved life. Smith has exposed himself by combining Ground and Express operations in a manner that would seem to imperil his precious RLA . It's pretty hard to claim your company is an "airline", when the vast majority of employees never see a plane nor have anything to do with "airline" operations. He has combined an RLA company(Express) with and NLRA company (Ground) and has essentially replicated UPS with the exception that his "last mile" drivers are Ground contract employees. Such a scam, and on so many levels.

FedEx has become a total joke in terms of it's ability to service the customer, and under the current circumstances, Smith can get away with it. But, Covid isn't going to last forever, and the conditions that exist now that favor Fred will eventually turn against him.

WAD, and don't do anything to fulfill The Purple Promise, which has become "When it Absolutely, Positively, has to be there sometime in the next month". customers aren't going to tolerate this forever, nor are employees, who are continuing to head for the exits.

Don't let Smith continue to screw you over.

Aquaman

FedEx Express is failing miserably in terms of service. Due to Covid and current worldwide logistical demands, Fred is still raking in the profits in spite of having a horribly mismanaged company. I still monitor this site and stay in contact with former co-workers, both management and labor. The company continues to fail "up" due to Fred's "gift" of the pandemic. If you'll recall, Express was on the ropes before Covid and a prime takeover target. There were lots of rumors about Amazon or even WalMart buying Express and adapting the operation to their needs. Covid changed the dynamic overnight and literally threw Smith a golden lifeline.

In typical fashion, he has exploited the opportunity to it's fullest, sticking steadfastly to his mantra of shortchanging employees in pursuit of profit for himself and the upper echelon. Overall, you've seen very little trickle down to frontline employees, and the Step Plan remains firmly in place. Wages and benefits have never kept pace at FedEx, and even in the current environment, that continues to be the case.

The revolving door makes it really difficult to organize Express, and Smith knows this. He still has his precious RLA and lots of compliant politicians willing to do his bidding. He doesn't need to pay "industry leading" (LOFL) wages because he knows most people stay a year or two. RTD's don't even stay that long. The end result is that many employees aren't "in the long game", and don't really care about making the company a career.

If you're stuck at FedEx for whatever reason, I urge you to explore unionization. It's really your only ticket to a better career, better wages and benefits, and an improved life. Smith has exposed himself by combining Ground and Express operations in a manner that would seem to imperil his precious RLA . It's pretty hard to claim your company is an "airline", when the vast majority of employees never see a plane nor have anything to do with "airline" operations. He has combined an RLA company(Express) with and NLRA company (Ground) and has essentially replicated UPS with the exception that his "last mile" drivers are Ground contract employees. Such a scam, and on so many levels.

FedEx has become a total joke in terms of it's ability to service the customer, and under the current circumstances, Smith can get away with it. But, Covid isn't going to last forever, and the conditions that exist now that favor Fred will eventually turn against him.

WAD, and don't do anything to fulfill The Purple Promise, which has become "When it Absolutely, Positively, has to be there sometime in the next month". customers aren't going to tolerate this forever, nor are employees, who are continuing to head for the exits.

Don't let Smith continue to screw you over.
I don’t think he really cares if this is considered a career job anymore. It hasn’t been for a while now and nothing has changed. Well except for a step plan they can’t even commit to on record years lol. This is a job that’s asks for loyalty without providing any. It’s a low paying job with bad hours. That’s just what it is.

I do think moving Express & Ground into the same building will be a bad idea as far as his RLA goes. You can’t tell me two branches working that close in proximity aren’t going to be bending the rules of that RLA. Blurring the lines. It’s going to happen. They’ll do as much as they can until they get caught. We’re already all purple & orange, they already took Express off all the tractors, our uniforms no longer specify Express. Most building signs only say FedEx. They’re trying to make it as hard as possible to distinguish the branches because that provides a disguise for the freight. Ground & Express in the same building is going to result in more freight sharing than any of us realize.

Maui

It’s 100% true that Express has delivered some Ground in select markets. Been happening since 2020 through peak last year. Express couriers go to the Ground facility and run routes from there as contracted help getting paid their Express hourly rate. That just makes sense to flex capacity and capability.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It’s 100% true that Express has delivered some Ground in select markets. Been happening since 2020 through peak last year. Express couriers go to the Ground facility and run routes from there as contracted help getting paid their Express hourly rate. That just makes sense to flex capacity and capability.
Was it economically viable?