Extended routes bid to USPS?

tieguy

Banned
Hey everyone,
I'm looking for a little guidance and hopefully someone else has some ideas. My hubby is a fairly senior driver in a small center, with an extended route, one of two in the center. Usually he runs about 300 miles per day. He has gotten a lot of grief over the route, (so has the other extended driver) but with supervisors following, riding along and the tracking available, they know he isn't running unneccessary miles.
The manager now says he is trying to 'bid' the miles to the Postal Service. None of this has happened yet, but this man has changed a great deal already, none of it for the good of the drivers. None of them want to be the next one with a BIG bullseye on them or without a job. Nope, so far, the steward is no help at all. Help.

Sounds like the center manager is looking at options. May be trying to get labor approval on delivering rural pieces to the post offices. He won't get it though. Its subcontracting all the way.

tieguy

Banned
center manager must be new. He's trying to make his own decisions. His strings must be on back order.

I seriously doubt he is doing this on his own unless the guy has a suicide wish. Probably seeking approval or he is just running his mouth to get a rise out of people.

Dustyroads

To think that the post office would like to deliver our unprofitable packages is rediculous. How would UPS pay USPS for the service? How would customers track their packages? And, how would it affect time in transit of ups packages? Simply, it is a case of a dim-witted center manager trying to scare rural drivers into finding some way to cut their miles down. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, your rural drivers will be there long after the center manager is gone. We've delivered to post offices, especially in rural areas, through the BASIC service for a long time. It's a service offered to shippers, and some specific shippers choose it. As for making the closing time at small post offices, well, it's no different that any other business, break off and go make it before closing time. Windshield time is good time. As for drivers just delivering BASIC packages to customers homes, well, it's a mistake because the billing systems sees that the package is now a residential, often a DR stop, and does a billing correction, residential packages being more costly than a commerical account. It's a headache that one doesn't want to have.

Last edited:

UPSWife1

Hey everyone......just keeping this updated. The latest poop on this topic is supposedly the center manager CAN change this and give the miles to the post office for delivery throug has supposed loophole in the contract. It states (?) he can change any route up to 30 - 40 %. I don't see where one has anything to do with the other, but on this % question, if that is valid, how do they define the percent? Yep, my hubby's route has 300 miles or so, but on some of his outlying areas he may drive 40 miles for only 3 packages. They are saying the center manager can count the package total not the miles. If so, who and how do they decide the mile cut off, what areas are 'worth' delivering? More BS?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hey everyone......just keeping this updated. The latest poop on this topic is supposedly the center manager CAN change this and give the miles to the post office for delivery throug has supposed loophole in the contract. It states (?) he can change any route up to 30 - 40 %. I don't see where one has anything to do with the other, but on this % question, if that is valid, how do they define the percent? Yep, my hubby's route has 300 miles or so, but on some of his outlying areas he may drive 40 miles for only 3 packages. They are saying the center manager can count the package total not the miles. If so, who and how do they decide the mile cut off, what areas are 'worth' delivering? More BS?

I'm thinking your husband is LHAO right now! :funny: