Extra Work Issues

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Currently, my center is having some difficulty with extra work in the preload.
A friend of mine who has 3+ years of seniority is routinely made to stay after their trucks are loaded, and help others.

All well and good, except the supervisors allow many other people on the belt to leave. Newer people. Slow people.

That individual complained to their supervisor that lower seniority people were being let go first. Subsequently, they were moved off of their position, and put into a harder position, where they will be the last person to finish. (In their eyes, alleviating the issue of that person not wanting to assist at the end of the day.)

This seems highly retaliatory. Is this permissible?
We do not have bid areas for the preload.

My understanding of the contract is that it is only when overtime is hit, when extra work is by seniority. As per this:
B. When extra work is to be done in a center at the overtime rate and two (2) or more Employees are presently available and qualified to perform the work, the work will be offered by seniority. Overtime once assigned will not be reassigned. The least senior person cannot refuse the work.

This is in local 710, if it matters.
What are this person's options, with regards to the union?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
A friend of mine who has 3+ years of seniority is routinely made to stay after their trucks are loaded, and help others.

All well and good, except the supervisors allow many other people on the belt to leave. Newer people. Slow people.

That individual complained to their supervisor that lower seniority people were being let go first. Subsequently, they were moved off of their position, and put into a harder position, where they will be the last person to finish. (In their eyes, alleviating the issue of that person not wanting to assist at the end of the day.)

My understanding of the contract is that it is only when overtime is hit, when extra work is by seniority. As per this:

Be as safe as possible :rolleyes:

He’ll be back on his old job before you know it

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
this is a grey area that has been discussed a few times. there's no contractual language pertaining to who gets off the clock first, nor is there any language about how long they can keep you past your "shift". seniority gives you the right to work and leave last but not the right to leave first

Dr.Brownz

Your friend needs to slow down in this new harder position to assure they stay healthy. Work at such a safe pace that they need help at the end of the day to finish

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Your friend needs to slow down in this new harder position to assure they stay healthy. Work at such a safe pace that they need help at the end of the day to finish

Problem seems to be resolving itself. Friend is basically just deciding to roll over, so I guess it's none of my business...

Personally, I'd be ticked if they moved me away from my drivers and trucks. Half the work of preloading is figuring out what your drivers like, and learning how they want the trucks arranged.

Just management needing to throw their weight around, I figure. Hopefully, in a few weeks they get bored of that, and decide that scan rates are once again the issue of the day.

WTFm8

Problem seems to be resolving itself. Friend is basically just deciding to roll over, so I guess it's none of my business...

Personally, I'd be ticked if they moved me away from my drivers and trucks. Half the work of preloading is figuring out what your drivers like, and learning how they want the trucks arranged.

Just management needing to throw their weight around, I figure. Hopefully, in a few weeks they get bored of that, and decide that scan rates are once again the issue of the day.

Wrong.

You load according to the PAL label, no custom loads. It screws up the day for any drivers that have to cover the route

Whitelightning1534

this is a grey area that has been discussed a few times. there's no contractual language pertaining to who gets off the clock first, nor is there any language about how long they can keep you past your "shift". seniority gives you the right to work and leave last but not the right to leave first

I hate to say it but I believe they should send the sorry trash slow people home who are slow or just don't put any effort in plenty of that bs at my hub

22.34life

I disagree,offer from the top force from the bottom,always.speak to ur steward.in the south 48/64 says time off unpaid is granted in seniority order.leaving first sounds like time off unpaid to me.