Extreme Cold

rod

Retired 22 years
20 degrees and we're outside washing trucks. I hate this company.

Back in the day they used to wash trucks EVERY night our car washer's biggest problem was hoses freezing up. Half the time he would wash them and when they finally heated up the ice would drop off and it was like he hadn't touched them. Our car washer was Mexican and his name was Jose. We all called him Hose B

oldngray

nowhere special
My building had an outside car wash but when it got really cold they would wash inside with hoses. Back when they still washed trucks regularly. They stopped using the outside car wash and would just hose off inside once in a while even in good weather.

Dr.Brownz

it’s been getting hot and cold for billions of years, the human body still has not adapted!

Humans evolved in a sub tropical or tropical climate and only moved out of Africa into temperate and artic zones in the last 200,000 years or so.

enhanced-buzz-10623-1445969858-7.jpg

BiggieBrown

Back in the day they used to wash trucks EVERY night our car washer's biggest problem was hoses freezing up. Half the time he would wash them and when they finally heated up the ice would drop off and it was like he hadn't touched them. Our car washer was Mexican and his name was Jose. We all called him Hose B

Heh
Last night we washed and the trucks that didn't have those yellow caps over the nozzle had the valve freeze shut.
Then when we went to fuel them, you couldn't get any propane in.
The mechanic had to walk back and forth from the bathroom to the fuel pump with a mountain dew bottle full of hot water to pour on the nozzles to get the valves unstuck.
No one in their right mind would be washing cars when it's 17 :censored2:in degrees outside. And then they wonder why people call out sick. :censored2: this company for real

35years

Gravy route
And I’m someone who has all the top shelf gear for cold weather. Everything. I thought I was going to lose my toes to frostbite. I was terrified to take my socks off when I got home.

Top shelf cold gear is defined differently depending were you live.

I bought some Sorel Intrepid Explorer boots on sale last spring $98, normally $240... Rated for -100F.
My feet NEVER get cold.

We have -20 to -30 actual temp. pretty much every year. Wind chills -30 to -45 are common.

Brisket

We aren’t allowed to wear any sort of balaclava and the winter jacket they give us might as well be a trash bag with holes

Well that’s why you ‘improvise’ - order bigger uniforms and layer up under -as long as you can still move freely without straining.