Extreme Cold

rod

Retired 22 years
Just curious. Has UPS ever called it for extreme cold? We are going to have a high of single digits and a wind chill of - double digits. I'm definitely going to work tomorrow, but I was just thinking about how cold it would have to be for them to cancel work! haha

We worked one day it was 52 below. That's NOT windchill temp--that was actual temp. The HIGH temp for that whole week was 13 below. That was one brutal week. I don't recall anyone calling in sick. We had 19 below this morning. Haven't seen a mosquito all weekend.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just curious. Has UPS ever called it for extreme cold? We are going to have a high of single digits and a wind chill of - double digits. I'm definitely going to work tomorrow, but I was just thinking about how cold it would have to be for them to cancel work! haha

In 34 years, the only time we didn't work due to cold was one day the governor shut the roads down for cold.

We had a massive chlorine leak the same day at a local chemical plant and everybody was ordered to stay inside.

I guess it worked out for all.

rod

Retired 22 years
I only recall 2 times in 30 years we were shut down due to weather. Never for cold but twice for snow. One of the snow days was when Minneapolis got so much snow the feeders weren't running so they shut our building down and everyone went to the nearest saloon for the day because we missed that storm.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Never been shut down for cold, we have worked -20 below with brutal wind chill. But did get messaged to come back to the center a few years ago in a ridiculous blizzard. I was driving maybe 20mph on the highway because I couldn't see in front of me. I legit gave myself a 50% of either getting rear ended or going in the ditch. Luckily I made it back to code 05 and go the eff home.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Never been shut down for cold, we have worked -20 below with brutal wind chill. But did get messaged to come back to the center a few years ago in a ridiculous blizzard. I was driving maybe 20mph on the highway because I couldn't see in front of me. I legit gave myself a 50% of either getting rear ended or going in the ditch. Luckily I made it back to code 05 and go the eff home.
05? Why?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Not for cold, as far I as know, but they have called it for heavy snow or accumulation of ice.

In 34 years, the only time we didn't work due to cold was one day the governor shut the roads down for cold.

I only recall 2 times in 30 years we were shut down due to weather. Never for cold but twice for snow.

Only once here, because of 24" of snow on a Sunday.

They had to bring in front loaders to clear the yard and parking lot.

For cold ?

Not a chance.

rod

Retired 22 years
How well did the heater work?

As well as expected. Everyone totally covered their radiator with cardboard and trucks were left running all day. I remember filling my cab with as many stops as possible just so I wouldn't have to keep opening the bulk head door. Our trucks always had 2 heaters in them. One on each side of the cab.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yay, icy roads had our feeder drivers stay at the terminal.

Very low volume today. So subcontractor text everyone to stay home. Wasn't worth the few stops to risk getting stuck or spinning out of control

I'm doing yard work in shorts though, LoL