Failed DOT

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We have a driver with vision issues that prevent him from having a valid DOT as well. They’ve accommodated this by providing him with a vehicle that isn’t governed by DOT regulations. The few times they’ve pulled him off road due to issues associated with it he’s either taken personal time off or worked the hub.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have a driver with vision issues that prevent him from having a valid DOT as well. They’ve accommodated this by providing him with a vehicle that isn’t governed by DOT regulations. The few times they’ve pulled him off road due to issues associated with it he’s either taken personal time off or worked the hub.
Company will usually refuse to do anything like that because they don't want to set a precedent. They must really like that guy.

Indecisi0n

Why would you put a guy with vision problems behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle? Either work him inside until they fix the issue or keep him inside.

Richard Cranium

So I failed my DOT physical, i have always had 20/20 vision and now at my DOT i have 20/100 in my right eye and 20/40 in my left, i never really noticed it getting worse. They voided my current DOT and i had to be taken off of the road. I went to a appointment that day to get glasses and was told it would be 10 buisness days before my glasses come in. What do i do? I know management will be mad but i cant really help how fast they come in. Just wanting some advice
Tell them the glasses won't be in until 12-24.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Did they give him one of those bike contraptions?

Edit: I'd totally drive one of those

Last edited:

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I’m not sure what his exact medical issues are with his vision but it does prevent him from driving the DOT restricted vehicles. He drives a sprinter van but has also driven F350 conversions, Econolines and other various adaptations of older Sprinters.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So I failed my DOT physical, i have always had 20/20 vision and now at my DOT i have 20/100 in my right eye and 20/40 in my left, i never really noticed it getting worse. They voided my current DOT and i had to be taken off of the road. I went to a appointment that day to get glasses and was told it would be 10 buisness days before my glasses come in. What do i do? I know management will be mad but i cant really help how fast they come in. Just wanting some advice

"Article 20

Section 4. Disqualifed Driver—Alternative Work
Except as provided for in Article 16, a driver who is judged medi- cally unqualifed to drive, but is considered physically ft and qual- ifed to perform other inside jobs, will be afforded the opportunity to displace the least senior full-time or part-time inside employee at such work until he/she can return to his/her driving job unless oth- erwise provided for in the Supplements, Riders or Addenda. The employee shall receive the appropriate rate of pay for the job per- formed based on his/her seniority or current area practice. If no full-time inside position is available, the Employer will meet with the Local Union to develop a full-time position, if possible out of available work.
In addition to those already covered by this section, disqualifed drivers who are actively pursuing a waiver or exemption with the DOT may work inside pursuant to this section if there is a reasonable expectation that his or her waiver/exemption will be granted."

TheBEguy

I memorize the eye chart LOL. My vision was always very good but it seems like in the past 2 years it went completely downhill fast. I was totally taken by surprise.

Overpaid Union Thug

I memorize the eye chart LOL. My vision was always very good but it seems like in the past 2 years it went completely downhill fast. I was totally taken by surprise.
I know a handful of people in my center are having to do that as well. And I am pretty sure that several of those drivers would stop doing that if our pay wasn’t reduced to hub pay after a week according to our supplement. There might would be a couple of other drivers that would fail their eye test on purpose. LOL

Future

Victory Ride
I know a handful of people in my center are having to do that as well. And I am pretty sure that several of those drivers would stop doing that if our pay wasn’t reduced to hub pay after a week according to our supplement. There might would be a couple of other drivers that would fail their eye test on purpose. LOL
Hmmmmmm never thought of that

Heavy Package

I went to a appointment that day to get glasses and was told it would be 10 buisness days before my glasses come in. What do i do?

They are working as fast as they can on your glasses, dammit! Be patient!

ChinaS5.jpg

Total package

We can rebuild him
Unless you want to take unpaid time off, you can work in the building. I did it one year after flunking with cataract in one eye. I managed to get surgery and passed 3 weeks later. Got 8 hours every day after I showed them the contract

rod

Retired 22 years
When it goes-it goes fast. We had a guy who always bragged about his EXCELLANT vision. He even went so far as to call his own kid 4 Eyes when the kid got glasses. (Yes he was a real jerk). Fast forward about 10 years and he has coke bottle glasses. Couldn't have happened to a better person. I've always said when you wake up on your 40th birthday you will notice your eyes aren't what they used to be.