Falsified weights - on topic

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That would be a 'weigh & scan in motion' machine these days and 'Closed Loop Billing' will send the shipper a bill noting the difference in PLD versus Actual.
Billing has standard queries to produce a report.

Will that stamp the package indicating a billing adjustment like the auditors were supposed to do, but seldom did?

Foamer Pyle

I recently inherited a pick up from a different driver. The pick up is a marine store, and they always low ball on the weights. They put 20lb and it’s really 50lb. I told the shipper i wasn’t picking up his falsified weighted packages anymore, and that because of what he was doing, he could be causing injuries on the unload. I asked the guy if they had a scale, and he said yes. I told him to start using it. Haven’t had a problem since.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had a feeder CPU and I loaded office supplies every day already on a pallet. I got to looking at the weights, and all their boxes of computer paper read 13 pounds, and it was more like 50. I called them out on it, and they fixed it. i can only imagine how much revenue they beat UPS out of before I started picking them up.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
our twi has revenue recovery personal at the end of all the boxlines weighing, scanning and stamping the heck out of everything the whole shift. they all have a scale, a tape measure, a scanner and a stamp.

Smashmouth

We have a shipper in our building who does the same thing. Packages weigh anywhere from 1 to 60lbs. but the highest weight on any of their packages is 13lbs. We have pulled the packages and brought to the attention of Mgmt. and finally the senior account rep. He discovered that because of their volume discount, 13 lbs. was the most they had to pay for, so the shipping computer only generated 13lb. labels. So much for our safety, because even though we found the issue, no one is doing anything about it....UPS...imagine that!!

clean hairy

I would think the shipper would be liable if a Driver or other employee got hurt lifting the supposed 20 lb box (when actual weight is 60 lbs)
Any ideas if that could be the case?

Nike

For some reason at my building misweighted packages always end up crushed or messed up, it's the craziest thing, can't explain it :confused:.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
Wait. Boxes at your center actually come down taped up?
We have special boxes at ours. They come nearly disintegrated, holding together by a thread. Only to be picked up by you the loader and it burst open everywhere. It's crazy the boxes they let go down the slides. Some of these packages look like they went through an atomic blast.

Grasp at opposite corners and check for shifting contents. This should be done on every package as you handle it; out the trailer off the belt or conveyor rollers. You can build an optimum carry while reading the PAL and testing for contents while moving. Use existing equipment and facilities like the metal lip of the belt or lip of shelves to easily slide heavier packages.

ThatOnePreloader

Unprofessional Professional
Grasp at opposite corners and check for shifting contents. This should be done on every package as you handle it; out the trailer off the belt or conveyor rollers. You can build an optimum carry while reading the PAL and testing for contents while moving. Use existing equipment and facilities like the metal lip of the belt or lip of shelves to easily slide heavier packages.
I guess I should've mentioned I also split the belt. So sometimes it's just push or pull according to the label.

I would think the shipper would be liable if a Driver or other employee got hurt lifting the supposed 20 lb box (when actual weight is 60 lbs)
Any ideas if that could be the case?

Yes, you can hurt yourself preparing to lift a 20lb box labeled 60lbs. More than the other way around.

If you did, tho, you wouldn't be following methods of grasping at opposite corners and checking for weight and shifting contents.